Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Clutch adjustment  (Read 6297 times)

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
Clutch adjustment
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »

can you adjust the clutch on a 2012 cvo road glide? I was told you couldn't but it seems like it needs it
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Clutch adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

No adjustment that I know of. Seems to be an ongoing battle with the hyd clutch.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »

There is no adjustment on the hyd. Clutch.  Check your fluid level careful.  As your clutch wears the fluid level will increase so a small amount will need to be removed. 

How many miles do you have on your bike?  And what gives you the feeling the clutch needs adjusted?

I am sure if you give a little bit of a description of your problem someone may have ran into the same thing and give you some more information.  A hyd. clutch does give a different feeling than a cable, at least a little to me. 

Todd 

18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

What exactly makes you think the clutch needs adjustment?  Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting, just like disc brakes.

The biggest problem with the Harley hydraulic clutch over the years has been air in the system, and it's not always easy to bleed it completely.  If you're having a problem where it seems like the clutch isn't releasing completely, the first thing to check is for air in the system.  The other possible problem areas are the actuator (slave cylinder) at the trans side cover, and of course the master cylinder.  It's a very simple system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »

I've never accepted the fact that a hyd. clutch can't be somehow adjusted (to engage the clutch at the lever sooner or later) even though it's not in the service manual. But admittedly I haven't figured it out in part because I'm not an engineer. I have tried altering the thickness of the clutch plates and the steel plates, and that doesn't do it.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »

Jerry,  you may be able to answer this question about the hydraulic clutch.   Can it be gravity bled?  I personally have never tried it before and all my friends have cable clutches. 

Some one else may know the answer as well. 

Todd. 
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »

you might want to check to make sure the master cyl isn't over full as the clutch wears it will put more fluid back in the master cylinder but it's hardly noticeable, that and air in the system. This is the same as your hydraulic brakes no adjustment nessessary. There is also a small bleed back orfice in the master cyliner even a small amount of dirt can clog this which will keep pressure in the system and not allow the air to naturally bleed.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:23 AM »

when I start the bike in 1st with the clutch pressed in it wants to buck forward ....also when riding I have to press the clutch in all the way into the grips before it will like to shift...just little things
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »

I've never accepted the fact that a hyd. clutch can't be somehow adjusted (to engage the clutch at the lever sooner or later) even though it's not in the service manual. But admittedly I haven't figured it out in part because I'm not an engineer. I have tried altering the thickness of the clutch plates and the steel plates, and that doesn't do it.

The only way to "adjust" a hydraulic clutch is to replace the master cylinder with one that moves a different amount of fluid when you squeeze the hand lever.  (I've never heard of such a replacement master cylinder - but that would be the only way.) 

When you squeeze the hand lever, "x" amount of fluid moves, which in turn pushes the slave cylinder/push rod "x" distance (approx. .065), which in turn releases the clutch plates.  If you want the clutch plates to move a lesser/greater distance, you have to move less/more fluid which would require a different size/stroke cylinder in your master cylinder.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »

when I start the bike in 1st with the clutch pressed in it wants to buck forward ....also when riding I have to press the clutch in all the way into the grips before it will like to shift...just little things

If you're bike want's to "buck forward" either when starting it in gear or when engaging first gear, the problem is one of several possibilities.

You may worn your clutch plates to the point you need to remove a small amount of fluid from your master cylinder. 
You may have air in the hydraulic system which needs to be bled out. 
You may need to replace the seals in the slave cylinder located in the transmission side cover.
You may have warped (out of flat) clutch discs/spacer plates.
You may have slightly overfilled your primary lubricant, resulting in excessive primary fluid on your clutch plates, causing them to stick together.  When this happens they don't fully release when you squeeze the hand lever.

The first step I would take is to check the master cylinder and verify it is not overfilled (which can happen as the clutch plates wear, which displaces fluid into the master cylinder).

The second step would be to remove the inspection plate on your primary cover.  Then using a dial indicator placed on the end of the pushrod, measure the amount of pushrod travel you obtain when on squeeze the hand lever.  You should have a minimum of .065 pushrod travel when you squeeze the hand lever.  If you have less, you need to bleed air from the system.  If you bleed the system and are confident you have removed all the air, but still don't have proper travel, it's possible you need to replace the seals in your slave cylinder.

If you measure the proper amount of pushrod travel when you squeeze the hand lever, then your problem is mechanical (not hydraulic).  Something is preventing your clutch plates from releasing when the pushrod moves. 

Most common is either warped clutch plates or warped spacer plates - or excessive primary lubricant causing your clutch plates to stick together and not properly releasing.  The service manual calls for 38 oz. "wet fill" or a 45 oz. "dry fill" of your primary.  Personally, I fill my primary with 35 oz. "dry fill" to prevent oil from splashing on the clutch plates.  To inspect your clutch plates, you will need drain your primary lubricant and remove the primary cover.  Then remove the clutch and spacer plates and inspect them for flatness and wear.

These are all simple things to check and simple tasks to perform with basic hand tools (with the exception of a dial indicator) and a service manual.  Certainly nothing I'd pay a service technician to trouble shoot. 

Good luck...   :2vrolijk_21:

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »

Jerry,  you may be able to answer this question about the hydraulic clutch.   Can it be gravity bled?  I personally have never tried it before and all my friends have cable clutches. 

Some one else may know the answer as well. 

Todd.

I haven't tried it either Todd, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.  The only real requirement for gravity bleeding brakes is that the master cylinder be significantly higher than the calipers.  With the hydraulic clutch on a Harley the M/C is definitely significantly higher than the slave cylinder.  I've found with the clutch that it is also necessary to manually bleed the small amount of air that often gets trapped at the banjo fitting for the line at the M/C, and I assume you would still need to do that.

The biggest PITA with the Harley system is actually filling the system if its been apart to replace things like the line.  That might be a good time to try the gravity method, so you could do something else for an hour or two or ten while capillary action does its magic.  A good pressure or vacuum system would still seem to be the best and quickest approach however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »

I haven't tried it either Todd, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.  The only real requirement for gravity bleeding brakes is that the master cylinder be significantly higher than the calipers.  With the hydraulic clutch on a Harley the M/C is definitely significantly higher than the slave cylinder.  I've found with the clutch that it is also necessary to manually bleed the small amount of air that often gets trapped at the banjo fitting for the line at the M/C, and I assume you would still need to do that.

The biggest PITA with the Harley system is actually filling the system if its been apart to replace things like the line.  That might be a good time to try the gravity method, so you could do something else for an hour or two or ten while capillary action does its magic.  A good pressure or vacuum system would still seem to be the best and quickest approach however.

Jerry

The tough part about gravity bleeding a clutch system is the extreme small volume of brake fluid contained in the clutch master cylinder.  It can be done, but you'd have to stay on top of it to ensure you don't run the fluid so low that you expose the return hole, thus introducing more air into the system.  Gravity bleeding works well to fill the hydraulic line and the slave cylinder, but pressure bleeding will still be necessary to remove air from the banjo fitting located on the side of the master cylinder.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »

Thanks sadunbar and Jerry.  It wouldn't take but just a small amount of air around the banjo fitting to really mess up the clutch feel. 

Todd.
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »

My bike lurches forward with clutch engaged when it's cold. Once it warms up it goes away?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

My bike lurches forward with clutch engaged when it's cold. Once it warms up it goes away?

Drain a few oz. of primary fluid... Maybe 4 oz.  Ride it until the primary has temperature, then let it sit until it returns to ambient and try it again.   Slightly to much primary lubricant will stick to your clutch plates when cold, causing your "lurch".  The combination of centrifugal force flinging the lubricant from your clutch plates and heat in the lubricant can allow your clutch to function normally when at temperature. 
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

Drain a few oz. of primary fluid... Maybe 4 oz.  Ride it until the primary has temperature, then let it sit until it returns to ambient and try it again.   Slightly to much primary lubricant will stick to your clutch plates when cold, causing your "lurch".  The combination of centrifugal force flinging the lubricant from your clutch plates and heat in the lubricant can allow your clutch to function normally when at temperature.

It's just barely to the sight glass(the fill line).Does it expand after warming up?  :confused5:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:23:55 AM by Jswerve »

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »

It's just barely to the sight glass. Does it expand after warming up?  :confused5:

Primary fluid sight glass??
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »

Primary fluid sight glass??

LOL sorry bro I just woke up! Ok I only put one quart in when I changed it. That put me to the bottom of the discs. Should definitely not be overfilled!

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »

I haven't looked into it on the HD, but on other bikes I have/had I've shortened the pin between the lever and master to change the engagement/disengagement point of the lever to be closer to the grip. I don't know if this is possible on the HD though

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Isn't an overfilled primary the most common issue with clutches, hydraulic or mechanical?

An air powered bleeder works great for bleeding these bikes. There is a separate thread already on her showing it's use.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »

Isn't an overfilled primary the most common issue with clutches, hydraulic or mechanical?

An air powered bleeder works great for bleeding these bikes. There is a separate thread already on her showing it's use.

yep...

At least it's a simple fix!   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »

My issue seems to be a little different. Its not a stock clutch in the 09 SERG but its been in the bike 12-15k miles. When the lever is released (all the way out) we are off and running. It almost seels like when I'm coming to a stop in first gear that the bike is still pulling. Not enough to drop the rpms but like the clutch is not completely engaging. Any ideas?

BigLew

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »

Mine seems to be just the opposite. When its cold I can find neutral without much effort but once it warms up its hard. Clutch release is all the way out and it still feels like its pulling when the lever is fully pulled.

BigLew
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.