Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Life in and around Coronado, California  (Read 33523 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Life in and around Coronado, California
« on: July 20, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »

Every weekend there are multiple things to see and do here in the San Diego area.  I've never been in an area that has so much going on and it's been year around.....or at least the nine months that I've been living here on Coronado.  This weekend is no less and so we decided to go see the Imperial Beach Sun & Sea Festival 2014.

The whole town gets involved, live music every couple of blocks, street fair, food booths and of course the main feature.....the sandcastle building competition.  Imperial Beach is the southern most US city on the Pacific coast, at the southern end of Coronado and the Silver Strand Beach.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:31:53 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Imperial Beach sandcastle competition....July 19, 14.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

I always thought they must use some kind of special sand or put some kind of additive in the sand/water mix.  Not the case.....they use the beach sand, water, their hand tools (trowels, straws, buckets, knives, forms, etc.) and that's about it.  The sand is all natural beach sand but a couple of the displays did use other items from the beach such as sea weed, shells, etc.

We arrived mid morning, set up our beach sun shade behind some of the areas that had already been staked out for the competition and walked each of them shortly after they'd begun and before the big crowds got there.  This is a timed event and at 2:00 p.m. everybody has to put down their tools of the craft.

Some early on photos....just to show some of the progression.  It was certainly interesting to watch these progress....especially those that were teams working on the same piece.  Working on different sides of the same piece and come together at some point and all are on the same scale was very interesting.

It was also very interesting to see how some of the teams were only a two man team (or in the case of The Sand Castle Man....one man show) and show as much or more detail than the large teams, in the same amount of time.

an early shot of what will become the Eiffel Tower....

Some of the displays were based on recent movies.  This one is the begining of Ratatolle...

and of course.....Transformer

And further down the beach, closer to the water, there was a beach goer trying to dig his way to China....

a couple of the teams used forms until the sand dried........

and, being a military town, the Marines were present.  They were actually doing manuvers in several locations just off shore

The Sandcastle Championships have been absent the past two years.  They just got to big for the city and law enforcement to be able to manage and control.  But now they're back and this team's theme is "Back On Track".   They were the largest team in number of people as well as the largest display.  And even though a couple of the smaller displays had much more detail, this display took 1st place in the competition.

The drawing that they were working from:

the Imperial Beach Pier

Up on the pier, it's obvious that the beach is starting to get just a bit crowded......

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »

and the Imperial Beach Pier goes out into the ocean for ever!  California has many, many piers but this has to be the longest pier I've ever been on.  They tell us there's a seafood restaurant out on the end of it.....let's go sea

Off in the distance you can see the skyline of San Diego and the Coronado Bridge...

The best fish & chips I've ever had was yesterday at the Tin Fin Seafood Restaurant at the end of Imperial Beach Pier.  It doesn't get any fresher!

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »

Back on land, it looks like the competition is heating up

The kid's competition is on the other side of the pier....

The train is getting "back on track".......right down to the smoke billowing out of the stack

Even the railroad ties appear splintered and cracked....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »

Here is the display from the Sand Castle Man   http://thesandcastleman.com/   He can be seen live doing his art on the beach at the Del Coronado Hotel here in Coronado just about every day of the year.  He is, by far, the most small scale detailed. He uses a little eco friendly water color to accent his masterpiece.

and.....the drons were there photographing the whole thing.  Just a matter of time and these things will be all over the place much like wireless internet or cell phones.

It was a great day on the beach.  Thanks to the mild overcast, wasn't to hot.....just a great time.  I hope all of you enjoyed it....

West Coast GTG   

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
Re: Life in and around Coronado, California
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »

Always interesting to see what they can come up, just using sand and water.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »

Thanks for sharing the event JC.  I have always been amazed by the talent and craft of these artists.

:)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

I loved all their efforts JC but my favorite was the sandcastle  ;D Thank you so much for sharing your paradise with us!
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

~The Defilippis's~

• Full CVO Member
  • ~Memories of the Teal SEEG~

• CVO1: 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Blue\Cobalt Black)
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra (103-Merlot Sunglow)
    • CVO3: Formerly: 2005 Electra Glide [1 Cherry, 1 Teal]
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »

I can't even find the time to go to the beach, let alone crafting these detailed creations.  Pretty awesome.
~The Defilippis's~

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 01:04:25 AM »

Great pics......love San Diego!! Not sure how you get more than 1 pic per post. Thanks!!!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »

Thanks JC! Enjoyed them all.

BigLew

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »

There all awesome works of art, Thanks for sharing, what a beautiful area you live in.
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »

I can't even find the time to go to the beach, let alone crafting these detailed creations.  Pretty awesome.

That's why I brought the beach to you.  I got your back Steve.    But you and Yolanda are welcome down here anytime you can get away. :2vrolijk_21:

And for the past four days there's been a convention in San Diego.  San Diego's largest convention....bringing in anywhere from 120,000 to 150,000 people for this freak show, depending on which news source you're watching.  ComiCon International 2014. 

http://www.comic-con.org/cci

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 01:50:18 PM »

This convention has been going on for decades and while it started as a convention for comics and comic books, it quickly morphed in to a convention for comics, comic books, animaes, animations and sci-fi books, movies, etc.  Every network has spent millions advertising their next biggest movie, series, etc. and it's all capped by their respective stars doing signings, photo ops, displays or talks in the various halls.

We had heard a lot of stories about this convention for the past nine months.  It's sold out in one day, a year ago.  And even though the convention itself is sold out all the networks have plenty to see and do for the public that doesn't have the "pass".  Babe and I decided to catch the ferry over and see what all the talk is about.  Come on along Steve, Yolanda.....and everybody else....let's go see the freak show.

At the ferry landing, as we're waiting for our boat (they run every half hour) a guy catches a baby sting ray.  As soon as he landed it on the dock, the group next to him gets all excited.....he's caught a baby octapus.  In this photo he's right behind the back pack, surrying fast, towards the edge of the dock but he quickly runs into the ice chest.

We all found that to simply be amazing.  What are the odds of catching either one off of a fishing/boat dock.  And then for not one to be a baby but for both to be a baby and for it to happen that close (proximety) to each other and that close (in time) to each other.  The ocean is alive and well in San Diego bay and Coronado Island.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »

For $8.50 we get a round trip ticket and miss all the traffic insanity of downtown San Diego.  The ferry drops us at the docks directly behind the convention center.

Half way across I notice a group of bathing beauties on paddle boards heading across the bay.  Pretty brazen considering the size of boats and ships that troll up and down the bay and how small they are.

The networks and media have spent millions advertising their movie, series, specials, etc.  I mean they wrapped highrises, trains, buses, whole building fronts (wait until you see the street side of the Hard Rock Hotel).  These are professional wrap jobs and not just banners.  They cover windows and all....

As soon as we step off the ferry and head up the stairs to the convention center it starts and doesn't end.....   They even see a camera they automatically fall into their costumed roll

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

Almost immediatly I am aware that there are just way to many of them.  Where's Jock when you need him?  Pressure's on....just do the best I can.  Here you go Jock.....this one's for you...... :bananarock:

Even the Hilton Hotel is wrapped on the bottom two floors and the top floor.......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »

The Hard Rock Hotel has the first three floors wrapped.  Not just wrapped, but maniquins line up, up on top of the awning, special affects lighting at night, etc....

Even the pedicabs that are always all over downtown San Diego get in on mix.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »

Even entire buildings were wrapped, just to advertise.  Remember, this is just a four day convention and then it all comes down and they prepare for the conventions of next weekend.....which will pale in comparison.

Blacklist had an entire block done up.....

Even entire trolly trains (San Diego's light rail transit system) were wrapped.......

I'm just not sure........

and the upper 8 or 10 floors of the hotel behind the convention center.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »

Even entire charter buses were wrapped.....

Some of you are friends with this guy.....Capt. Morgan....

What does it cost to wrap just one bus?  Multiply that times........... :nixweiss:

Views from the top of the convention center....

They had over 300 people in line last night to get in to Hall H today.  I asked the security what was it about these various halls that prompted these people to sit on a sidewalk all night, waiting to get in.  She said that the various movies or series major stars would be in these halls to talke, answer questions, etc. and Hall H had several movies (of which I don't remember any of them now) and several series, one being Sons Of Anarchy. 

But remeber, each hall doesn't just have the stars from one movie, show or series but several of each.  So, an opportunity to rub shoulders with many stars in one location.  The parking lot at the back of the convention center that looked to have 50-75 limos didn't escape me.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:08:08 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »

Thanks ever so much for sharing. That was great would have love to have been there. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

Nice job behind the camera yet again JC! My daughter just got back from there but I haven't seen her or her pictures yet. They sold a few paintings at the gallery so the trip was a success. I told her she should have emailed you for tour guide information. I don't know anyone that can show off California's best places like you can.
Still hoping to be a closer neighbor in the next year,
Tom
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

Longlast, thanks a bunch for your comments!

Thanks Tom.

Some of you know Tom as "Harvey Mushman" on Adventure Rider or Pashnit forums.  Others here in Cali have heard me mention him from time to time. 

He's the guy that I've told about that bought a Ural with sidecar in Washington, rode down the coast to California and then all the way across to New York.  Doing this kind of journey on a Harley is adventure enough but I can only imagine what it'd be like on a motorcycle that can't even do freeway speeds let alone the load he's carrying and several tire changes along the way, etc.

More recently, he came to Coronado to visit and then rode on down to Baja California, Mexico......by himself.  Another outstanding adventure.  Tom, if you want to post links to your journeys, you're certainly welcome to.....we have a few adventure/journey riders on this forum. :2vrolijk_21:

When you get ready to move west, I hope it's to California.  I'd like to do some adventures with you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:15:27 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »

Great pictures, JC!   :2vrolijk_21:    Can you get the phone number of that storm trooper for me?    ::)

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »

Almost immediatly I am aware that there are just way to many of them.  Where's Jock when you need him?  Pressure's on....just do the best I can.  Here you go Jock.....this one's for you...... :bananarock:

One word!  NICE!!!!!  Thank you very much!  It is my pleasure to serve as the excuse for the photograph to the loved ones.   ;)   ;)

:2vrolijk_21:

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »

This thread has been wonderfully hijacked.  Lived in Coronado every summer for nearly 30 years and SHE has never been there!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »

Thanks Tom.

Some of you know Tom as "Harvey Mushman" on Adventure Rider or Pashnit forums.  Others here in Cali have heard me mention him from time to time. 

He's the guy that I've told about that bought a Ural with sidecar in Washington, rode down the coast to California and then all the way across to New York.  Doing this kind of journey on a Harley is adventure enough but I can only imagine what it'd be like on a motorcycle that can't even do freeway speeds let alone the load he's carrying and several tire changes along the way, etc.

More recently, he came to Coronado to visit and then rode on down to Baja California, Mexico......by himself.  Another outstanding adventure.  Tom, if you want to post links to your journeys, you're certainly welcome to.....we have a few adventure/journey riders on this forum. :2vrolijk_21:

When you get ready to move west, I hope it's to California.  I'd like to do some adventures with you.

Hi JC,
I do like the direction that your thread has gone. It makes me want to get over there sooner than later.  :2vrolijk_21:
I'm looking forward to some adventures with you. You guided me to some great places on both of my big trips. I'll gladly follow your lead.
Ural CC ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149
Yamaha NY>Baja>NY ride in winter: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520

My best to Babe and a little pat for ShyGuy.

Harvey Mushman AKA Madeouttaglass
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:18:00 AM by Harvey Mushman »
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »

Nice Brother !!! Thanks.
DND

BANDANAGIRL

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • LIVE LAUGH RIDE

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG Cherry Sold
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG Orange Sold, 2005 SEEG Teal Sold, 2005 SEEG Banana Sold
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »

Nice pics JC.... looks like your enjoying yourself in Coronado !

2006 Cripplecreek, Co.
                     2008 Sedona, Az.
                     2009 HoodRiver, Or.
                     2010   Pala, Ca.
                     2010 New River , Wv.
                     2011 Lake Tahoe, NV.
                     2012 Spokane, Wa.
                     2013 Santa Fe, NM.                      2014 Carmel & M.V.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »

At the begining of this thread I posted photos of a local sandcastle building competition.  Last weekend San Diego was host to the 2014 US Sand Sculpting & 3D Art Expo.  Scultors came from all over the world for this competition and the level of the skill set and artistic ability compared to the more local competition was evident.

Again, as we often do....we caught the ferry at the Ferry Landing in Coronado.  The Ferry Landing is only a block from us and so it's an easy walk and don't have to mess with finding (and paying for) parking.

As usual here on Coronado and around the San Diego area........another beautiful day and weekend!

Ferries always coming and going at the embarcadero on the waterfront in downtown San Diego....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »

and from the top deck of the Coronado ferry, looking at new construction going on at the new waterfront park

and finally....the sculpters themselves........

Somebody lost their tennis shoe.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »

All of these are interesting and unique in their own way.  But how these sculptors were able to get the detail on the inside of the outter shell is most interesting.  In this sculptor, each of the long narrow windows has it's own different and unique sculptor inside.

More miscellaneous sulptors....

This one shows some of the planning, detail and prep that goes in to one of these sculptors even before they start...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »

This one is by the Sand Castle Man.  He's usually found daily on the beach at the Del Coronado Hotel here in Coronado.  He calls this scultor "The Wedding Crasher".....obviously referring to the large dragon wrapped around the back of the castle.

Of course everybody will recognize these two carichaters from the TV commercials.....

Babe and I met these two wayward birds in person......still claiming to be California fresh chickens.....

and.....San Diego's Metro Transit System had to get in on the act.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

and time for the little ferry ride back over to the island and our little comfort zone we call home....Coronado.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 10:26:02 PM »

Just across the bay from Coronado is the city of San Diego.  San Diego has a number of beach communities within the city limits and La Jolla is one of them.  We went up there and walked the beach hiking trail this morning.  Here's some pics to share....get your hiking shoes on and come on along.....

Kyack tours in La Jolla Cove....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »

and another droan.  Seems like we see at least one every time we go to any of the San Diego beaches....

a flock of pelicans at rest.......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 10:28:18 PM »

and here are a couple of water front homes on La Jolla Cove for just a couple million each.......

One of the most difficult things about living here is deciding what to do each weekend.  There's just so many options and many of them are absolutly free.  So we went to the La Jolla beach this morning.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »

Coming home, as we started across the Coronado bridge I noticed a lot of activity down below, under the bridge.  It's Chicano Park (it's legal name) in Barrio Logan (also the legal name of this suburb.....mostly an industrial area with lots of ship yards and home to Naval Base San Diego) and they're having a huge car show and street festival.  I got on my motorcycle, changed camera batteries and headed back over the bridge.

These guys and gals get as obsessed on their rides as we do on our motorcycles....some incredable and beautiful rides.  I mean a lot of museum quality rides and very rare cars.  Again, like in Vegas a few weeks ago, there were car clubs represented from all over the west....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »

and.......they also get obsessed with their bikes, too.....these two guys told me they rode in from East LA

Barrio Logan has some well known historical murals painted under the Coronado bridge on the support columns.  This is the area where the car show and street festival was held this afternoon.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 10:31:21 PM »

This is just one street (this show covered a number of streets in Barrio Logan and Chicano Park) but it gives you a perspective of just how big this thing was....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:35 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »

Was certainly a nice day.  Tomorrow looks to be equally nice.  For those in the So Cal area tomorrow looking for something to do there's a bit different kind of car show in Coronado (in the heart of Coronado Village), over 400 pre 1973 restored classic, rod and custom cars & trucks, will be Sunday April 26, 10 a.m.  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.ecoronado.com/profiles/blogs/motorcars-on-mainstreet-is-this-042020151105

West Coast GTG   

ultra98

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

Fantastic, nice pics, you live in a amazing place,me and my fam was in San Diego and Coronado 3 years ago and we loved it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »

Thank you Ultra.  Yes, we have visitors from all over the world on a year around basis.  Met some Scandanavian ladies just today visiting their family members here in Coronado but most are just visiting.  You can visit Coronado year around and be pretty sure that you're going to have great weather.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, this car show is entirely different.  I got there early so I was able to get some shots of these cars on the roll.....

Take a stroll down memory lane with us and see if these rides jog any faded memories for you.....

img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7665/17095451430_da730a4d92_b.jpg[/img]

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »

And a big block Mopar Challenger........with a monster hemi

and a couple very clean Mercury Montclairs...

This  1950 Cady is an unrestored and original with just under 60,000 original miles.....most of them put on my the current owner.  He's made several long distance round trips from San Diego to Reno, San Francisco and Las Vegas.  He's owned it for seven years.

This was a very interesting set up.  He had a photo album of both the car and the trailer/boat showing what they looked like when he first got them and the progress of the body off restoration for both.  The camper has a turtle shell lid in the back that serves as the cooking area and the top is actually a boat that lifts off and flips over to get into an alpine lake.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »

A 2015 Corvette.  A new car provided by the Chevy dealership that was sponsoring the show.  The windshield sticker reflects 20 mph and at just un $76,000.

This was a cool set up.  The guy driving the Good Humor Ice Cream truck was dressed like an old time ice cream man and actually had ice creams that he was giving out to the few youngsters that were present.  I tried to pass for one but he wasn't going for it....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »

and the old milk truck (remember those days?) brought his own cow and milking bucket with him.... :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »

This 2003 corvette had alligator upholestry on the seats and console.  What do you think that upholestry cost?

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »

And this Lincoln Zephyr with a V12 was my favorite....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »

Then we rode over to Shelter Island for a different perspective of San Diego bay and to snap some pics of the bike and trailer....

Babe yells at this jogger "you have to wave as you run by"...........she did!  ;D

San Diego skyline in the background

In this picture is a car carrier in the background, coming in to port.  Probably full of Nissan, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundas, etc.  These car carriers come in every few days and they do not have any windows in them.  I mean they have to have a crew in there some place but they never see natural light.  The only windows in these things is up in the pilot house.

Then we rode up to Pt. Loma and the Cabrillo National Monument.  Snapped this pic as we got ready to leave.  In the background, across the bay, is Coronado Island....where we live.  The barren looking area in the foreground of the island is North Island Naval Air Station.....the first air field the Navy ever had. 

All in all......another great weekend here in So Cal.  Looks like we're probably headed up to Las Angeles next weekend to see what kind of trouble we can get in to.

West Coast GTG   

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 04:57:24 AM »

thanks for sharing  :2vrolijk_21:
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

If you go back to the first page of this thread you'll see the pics of last year's ComiCon 2014.  San Diego is home to the original ComiCon and while there are other imitators (there's actually talk of ComiCon suing the others for using the name) this is the one that has all the celebrities and stars attending.

Conan O'Brien has been broadcasting live all week from ComiCon.  Every night the local news stations all try to out do each other with their star citings.  I'm not a big enough movie buff to know or even heard of most of them.  But, it doesn't stop me from catching the ferry over to take pics of all the freaks and hotties for all of you so let's get started…….ComiCon 2015

The ferry ride from Coronado across to the convention center......bathing beauties on paddle boards is a year around site here in Cononado

and here comes our ferry.....notice the Hilton Hotel in the background wrapped with one of the movie advertisements

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »

Many of the movie studios had yachts there flying banners advertising their respective movies, series, etc. and providing a place for the stars to rest away from the crowds but still very close to the convention center venues.

Not sure what movie these girls are from but the director of the video shoot that was going on kept calling to them "angels I would like for you to do this or that........." 

But it was very obvious that when this lady in the hat came walking up that she's the real star (although I don't have any idea who she is) and that everybody including all the other angels and the staff catered to this lady totally....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

I do know who this is (only because one of her assistants handed me a flyer).  This is Justice Girl....

http://juliandavidstone.com/

and everybody knows who the Joker is....

The streets of the Gas Lamp District are totally clogged with ComiCon visitors.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »

and as in years past, they had hotels and other buildings wrapped, buses wrapped, even the metro train wrapped......advertising the various movies, series, books, etc.

That's the Hard Rock Hotel in the background that's wrapped with Lego Dimensions brand.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

Another part of the Hard Rock Hotel wrapped for another movie.  This section of the hotel has the lounge in it and they totally redecorated the lounge in the same theme as the exterior.....meteroites and all

Did I say that ComiCon is for people of all ages....young and old alike

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »

There were several locations that were "preaching" but if you paid attention to exactly what they were saying (or showing in their signs).....it wasn't from the bible.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »

I finally got to see some of those Hollywood style tats up close.  From just fifteen feet away they appear real but when you get up close within arms distance you can see they're on the surface....appear sprayed on.

They're posing in front of a large video screen showing the movie that they're in....

Interesting bike.  Looks like somebody put a little whizzer type motor, tank and a set of saddle bags on.....

West Coast GTG   

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »

You almost have me loving it!  It looks like a rider's dream, not to mention a photographer's dream.  I guess we're just going to have to stay with our own little neck of the woods up here in the Ozarks.

And although I've lived in big cities in the past, and far be it from me to rain on your parade, because I've been to San Diego and loved it, but my wife and I just can't handle the frenetic pace and the long lights and the traffic, or the lack of friendliness we found in the city anymore. 

You did an awesome job with your post, and if I could figure out how to attach multiple JPEG's to a post, I'd share some shots of life in the Ozarks with the group!  But it ain't nothin' like Coronado!!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »

They have many, many interactive events and activities.  This one is an obstacle course of sorts free to the public and the contestants are competing for a PS4 (playstation 4).  Forty contests throughout the week for a total of 40 PS4.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2015, 11:09:21 AM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »

More interactive events.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »

I see you looking at me......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »

OK, here's one that I do recognize....American Horrer Story.  They actually brought a part of the movie set just for the week and, as you can see, it's staffed.  It had a very long line going in the back door and out the side as it's also interactive....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »

These are the yachts that the movie studios had brought in for this event.  They all had banners of their respective movies, series, etc.  Also a sanctuary for the priviledged celebrities as this is directly behind the convention center.

see all the movie posters posted beside this yacht....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »

There are so many celebrities and stars here this week that they do not have enough room inside the convention center parking garage for all the limos, towncars and SUVs.....over flow VIP parking out by the yachts.

More movie banners flapping in the wind.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »

Here's the only celebrity that I saw up close, Mr Tuff.....

http://www.teammrtuff.com/

It was a great day for people watching....not to hot this year (81F).....just a great day and a hell of a lot of people having a great time.

ComiCon has signed a contract with the San Diego Convention Center for the next three years.  If you're in to this kind of thing then make your plans now......they expect next year's tickets to be sold out this week.

http://www.comic-con.org/

West Coast GTG   

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »

The artists who carve such beautiful figures in sand are very talented.  We have a similar competition in our area each year, although instead of carving in sand, the artists are carving in huge blocks of ice, in a winter competition.  ( :()  Equally spectacular results, though... 

I think I'd prefer watching your sand sculpting competition rather than our ice sculpting competition!   ::) ;)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

A cool you tube video of Mr. Tuff.  Click this link and enlarge it to full screen....volumn on....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

Chip and Nancy flew in to visit this past Wed.
Andy & Sherry flew in to visit on Thurs.
We all went to Coronado for dinner last night....

West Coast GTG   

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »

Chip will show up anywhere for a meal & photo shoot.             :trailer:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »

As we drove over the Coronado Bridge my truck sits high enough to see over the guard rail so I handed my camera to Chip and asked him to shoot some pics out of the passenger window....

Downtown San Diego on the east side of San Diego bay....

and Coronado Island on the west side of the bay.......

and the bayside park in Coronado.....

and after dinner, as we're walking back to the cars we notice the full moon.....

While at the Del Coronado Hotel we see some very large photographs of the Del blown up and backlighted on the wall so I snapped pics of these.  The first is a shot taken from the ocean looking back at the Del.  The last pic is taken from Glorietta Bay looking across at the Del.....

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:12:59 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2015, 12:47:26 AM »

Beautiful place,Wonderful people :bananarock:

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »

Cool - looks good JC!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »

Yahoo headlines today......."25 California Cities You'll Have No Problem Moving To".

And #1 on that list....no surprise.....Coronado!   http://distractdaily.com/10-california-cities-youll-have-no-problem-moving-in-to/15/?utm_source=gemini&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=best-cali-1-gg&utm_campaign=best-cali-1-gg&utm_content=30983010431&redirect=15

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »

We got up early this morning and headed over to the Del Mar Dog Beach to see the Surf Dog competition.....

Of course we brought Angel, our Malti-poo rescue and the ol' man, Shy Guy, our Bichon Frise.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »

90F temps and 88% humidity.....it was miserable....even at 9:30 a.m.  :nervous:  And very crowded.  How is it possible to be standing knee deep in the ocean and your head is pouring sweat?  :nixweiss:  San Diego has had very high humidity all summer.

Judging classes and judging criteria is posted.  I was surprised at how organized it is and what, exactly, gets the dog points.  They get to "catch three waves each" so that the viewer gets an idea of each dogs "best".

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »

It was very interesting watching these dogs on the boards in the surf.  Some just stand there and lock up.  Others kind of run forward to the front of the board then back pedal to the back end of the board.  Some stand, others crouch down while still others lay down.  A hell of a lot of laughs.....people and dogs are having a great time.

This little guy (mid size dog class) rode it all the way to the beach (they get extra points for riding all the way till the board stops) but the board is about read to toss him with the last wave....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »

We've all heard the surfing term "hang ten".  This guy got extra points for what they call "hangin 20" where they go all the way to the front edge of the board and stay on it......

Here is a shoot of one of two different dogs that I saw turn around on the board.....facing the open ocean.  But this guy road it all the way to the beach.....backwards!  A real thrill seeker...  :2vrolijk_21:

still cruisin.....all the way.....

They announced that he gets extra points.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »

Of course an event like this is covered by all the local TV news teams....

No man's land.....kept clear for the judges viewing from up in the booths and for emergency response.  I wondered if dogs really enjoy it or if they were in fear the whole time.  They really do seem to enjoy it.  Many get to the beach or get tossed and immediately turn to swim back out.  Really very interesting.  I talked to several people at the registration booth and they told me that dogs are like children in that they either love it in which case they will not stay on the board, they'll jump off as soon as they're released and head for shore.......or they really love it and will stay out there all day.  Put me in that children catagory, too.  :P

Just like any sport.....they have people that really get in to this, costumes, dog surf gear, pop-ups, wagons and surf boards with photos of the respective dog, etc. etc..  Surf Dog clubs and all.....

and there are other beach side activities for the dogs that don't surf......

and in a matter of seconds he's dug a hole almost big enough to hide in..... ;D

It was a really fun time but way to hot and muggy so we had to roll.  Gettin old ain't for sissys!  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 11:07:52 AM »

I've said it before.....the problem with living here is that there's so many things to do....every weekend that the decision is the hardest.  I got this link from Greg this morning.....here's 22 of the things to do.....    http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/california-burritos-for-life?utm_term=.gdLmR62Pn#.pa4m1GAXO

West Coast GTG   

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »

Thanks for sharing  :2vrolijk_21:Never get tired of the pics. Your blest to live in such a lovey place. Keepem coming

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »

I've been accused of being a bad influence on a friend.....now he wants a Harley.  Rode over to San Diego Harley Davidson yesterday to snap a few pics of him taking his MSF course. 

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

We learned that there's a fund raiser for a local Navy guy that lost both legs in a motorcycle accident earlier this year.  His wife surprised him with a Heritage Softail with a trike conversion kit.  The fund raiser is to convert the rear brakes and shifter to the handlebars so he can ride again.  The usual trappings of a fund raiser.....plenty of vendors, bike games, stunt show and of course......girls.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »

And the stunt riders.  Apparently San Diego has several clubs that this is their main function.....both street bikes and Harleys.  Some really good riders is an understatement.  And, as you guys know, the Harleys are twice the weight of the street bikes making it a whole different game on a different level.  But these guys were doing things on these Harleys in the same tight space that the street bikes were doing it in.  Before the show started, a number of them were out on the street practicing (San Diego HD is at the end of a large street, off the beaten path). 

There were some damn good riders but I believe Holden was about the best.  Holden is a Tech. in the Service Dept. at San Diego HD.  Holden power slides his Dyna in a u-turn and accelerates out of the turn sideways....drifting...doing a couple donuts before accelerating away at speed.  He handles that Dyna like he's on a little dirt bike in the dirt....he really could be making some good money just a couple hours north in Hollywood.

Holden.....this is the pic where you broke your tail light lens....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »

And it just wouldn't have been right if I didn't include a pic of this little pup....Chopper

It got a little crowded out there for awhile.  A lot of riders that do this kind of riding....

and here we see the bottom half of Holden's tail light lens missing.....from an earlier wheelie

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »

These girls both have the most beautiful brown eyes.....the camera just didn't capture what we were seeing in person.

I met another CVO owner...gave him the business card and told them about this forum.  David is riding a 2015 CVO Road Glide.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »

This is probably my favorite shot of the day......looks like something straight out of Hollywood

and still more Harley riders getting in on the show.....

Check out the bandanna painted on this guys helmet....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »

I've heard on the news several times that San Diego has the largest military presence in the nation.....they sure have a lot of bases within 20 miles.  Here's a Navy man that has a t-shirt business, Moto Militant....   http://www.motomilitant.com/

and I just can't tell you what I caught these girls doing....but they're not milking a cow  :P

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »

Susan and a co-worker work for Military Mutual Real Estate Services.  Did I say San Diego is huge on military?

and some shots of Susan's alter ego....biker Susan.  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »

and the gentleman that they're doing the trike conversion for.....

and now we move in side San Diego HD to get ready for the Rousey Holms UFC fight last night.  As you can see in some of the previous photos, this dealership is in an old, large warehouse.  Not much on the outside but a nice dealership on the inside....just very inflated prices.  :o

They have a Starbucks coffee bar, a mini mart, a hair saloon/barber shop and a tattoo parlor in this dealership.

a number of large screen TVs throughout, coupled with some pretty comfortable sofas and chairs....

They have a hell of a lot of bikes including quite a selection of new and used CVOs

Here's one of the lounge areas with fooseball and ping pong tables...

and about time to go claim my seat for the fight.  I got real lucky and got a front row, center seat.  The dealership brought in about 40 pizzas, with free beer and soda and other snacks. 

and after the introduction......well, the rest is history!  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2015, 03:03:59 PM »

Thanksgiving Babe and I went for a ride along the coast the first part of the day.  A little late to catch the King Waves that's been all over the news the past couple of days but still a beautiful day.

West Coast GTG   

ultra98

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2015, 05:22:20 AM »

Hi always a pleasure to watch those nice pics when i sits in my home and the rain falling and its just over 3 Celsius outside :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:59:18 AM by ultra98 »

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »

Nice   Pics    :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »

Most excellent my friend!

:2vrolijk_21:

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »

Thanks for sharing all these pics. I grew up in San Diego, but sadly left in '89. It was nice to see some familiar places. :)

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »

Thanks for sharing all these pics. I grew up in San Diego, but sadly left in '89. It was nice to see some familiar places. :)

I'm from Nor Cal.....a completely different environment than the San Diego area.  Both have their benefits, scenery, etc.  But San Diego has an average year around temp of 75F and that just doesn't get any better for riding.  As you know, when it rains, it's for a short period of time and then the sun is back out.  Incredable sunsets all up and down the coast and many different beaches to choose from including several dog beaches.  I've said it on this forum before.....the hardest thing about living here is that there is so much to do here that deciding what to do is the biggest problem.  I realize how fortunate we are to live here and certainly don't take it for granted.....we really appreciate it and want to share it with all of you.  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »

Thanks for the pics, JC! Love San Diego.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »

Maybe my last post above was a bit premature.  With the rain we've had here in the past week, the floods, etc. much more like Nor Cal.  :nervous:

It's been on the national news so I'm sure you've all heard about the flooding here in San Diego.  Guys paddle boarding down the streets, etc.  The street in front of where I work was flooded to the point that the police shut it down.  Cars were stalled in flooded streets all over San Diego.    This video was taken not far from where I'm at.....   

We have a six story parking garage here.  The ground floor has a 35' drain well below the ground floor.  The drain pumps quit working so I had to call the installers out.  They went to cover it back up with a lid that weighs several hundred pounds and dropped the lid down in the well.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:35:09 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »

They tried to pull it out with their little truck to no avail.  You'll notice my Ford Super Duty 4x4 to the right, in the picture above.  I had visions of that lid popping up out of that well hole so fast that it slams into the back of my truck.  :nervous:  We got it out without any damage to the well, the lid or our trucks.  :2vrolijk_21:

It's along way down to the bottom.

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »

Hey Bro how is the back holding up?

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »

Hey Bro how is the back holding up?

BigLew

Since I got those injections....much, much better.  Not perfect but a hell of a lot better than when I sold my SESG. You....how are you doing with your back issues?

West Coast GTG   

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing the pics. I really like Chopper and the surfin dogs. I noticed one of your pics shows a seagull on the light pole looking down as if he is looking for a victim to drop a load on.  :bananarock: :bananarock: :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »

After a week of heavy rains, flooding and all that that brought with it, the sun was out today.  Loaded my little Maltipoo rescue, Angel, into the Kuryakn pet carrier and went for a ride.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:11:19 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »

They went to cover it back up with a lid that weighs several hundred pounds and dropped the lid down in the well.

and that's why they make manhole covers round.  no possible way to drop the lid down inside if it's round.....

just some trivia for you.

thanks for the pics.  I grew up on the beach (other side of the country-fl) so it was nice to see some beach shots again, been decades since I've been back.  would love to be in your area, but don't think I could afford it :D
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »

Since I got those injections....much, much better.  Not perfect but a hell of a lot better than when I sold my SESG. You....how are you doing with your back issues?

There's nothing better...   :2vrolijk_21:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »

Maybe my last post above was a bit premature.  With the rain we've had here in the past week, the floods, etc. much more like Nor Cal.  :nervous:

It's been on the national news so I'm sure you've all heard about the flooding here in San Diego.  Guys paddle boarding down the streets, etc.  The street in front of where I work was flooded to the point that the police shut it down.  Cars were stalled in flooded streets all over San Diego.    This video was taken not far from where I'm at.....   http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Supply-Technology-Patented-Dispenser/dp/B00TFYT02G/ref=zg_bs_3052413011_5

We have a six story parking garage here.  The ground floor has a 35' drain well below the ground floor.  The drain pumps quit working so I had to call the installers out.  They went to cover it back up with a lid that weighs several hundred pounds and dropped the lid down in the well.

JC I think you put the wrong link in  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »

JC I think you put the wrong link in  :huepfenlol2:

Yep, you're right.  How many people looked at that other link and didn't say anything about it.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Here's the correct video from the Lambo driving through the San Diego flood last week.....   

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »

Yep, you're right.  How many people looked at that other link and didn't say anything about it.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Here's the correct video from the Lambo driving through the San Diego flood last week.....   

I knew your weather was chitty but not to the point you were picking it up.lol
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »

I knew your weather was chitty but not to the point you were picking it up.lol

Cars were stalled/flooded all over San Diego.....San Diego River overflowed it's banks and flooded the parking lots of Fashion Valley Mall, etc.  San Diego usually doesn't get 6" of rain in a year and we got more than 6" over a five day period.  It was pretty ugly for a few days.  Go to Youtube and search "San Diego flood".....there's a bunch of videos.

West Coast GTG   

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2016, 12:52:40 AM »

Gee, haven't heard from JC, today....

Venomous sea snake washes up on Coronado beach

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »

Yep, Coronado is unique and different from anywhere else in this country!  :P

West Coast GTG   

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »

Yep, Coronado is unique and different from anywhere else in this country!  :P

He lives!  Actually, there have been a few of these snakes found up and down the coast. They say it is because of El Nino.

Sawyer Brown

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »

Good thing he didn't stop  :nervous:     Up this way we have guys that take their Lambo's out up in the hills and see how they do on gravel roads.     :o    Here's a video taken a few miles past our place where the pavement end.  And here I thought it was only deer I needed to watch for  ;D   
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »

The flip side of cars being stranded in flooded intersections all over San Diego is record breaking temps.....90F several days this week.  Sat. Andy, Ernie, Alan, Miguel and I rode De Luz Rd. and then over to Lake Henshaw and the Hideout Saloon.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2016, 11:56:01 PM »

Valentine's Day 2016....we hoped on AmTrack and rode it up to Oceanside.

It was a short, quick ride of an hour up the coast.  We went out on the Oceanside municipal pier......

This little guy is sportin some designer boots......

And now I know where those youngsters get those wild hair colors and styles from.......

We ended Valentine's Day with the train ride back to San Diego and dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse.  Babe.....would you accept this rose?

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »

Geez!  After seein' your Valentine's Day I look like a slug havin' not even given a card!

8)   :2vrolijk_21:   ;)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »

I rode over to Coronado yesterday and parked at The Landing and took the ferry over to the Convention Center.  Yesterday was the 3rd day of International ComiCon.

Just missed this one.....guess we'll have to wait for the next one....15 minutes.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »

I lived in Coronado for a little over two years and never saw this kind of fog (marine layer....burns off by mid day) in San Diego bay...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »

ComiCon is one of the largest conventions in the nation.  Many of the attendees dress up in the costume of their favorite movie or show.  You can view some of the first few pages of this thread, from last year's ComiCon.  Some of those costumes are incredable!

Again, many of the hotels along the water front are wrapped by the studios to promote what ever movie or new series that they're trying to promote.  Some of these wraps are many, many stories high and are all removed within four days.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »

All the movie studios and networks had yachts in the marina for the R&R of the stars, directors, etc. of each of the movies, series, etc.  Read the banners hanging from the boats to know what's coming down the pike at the theaters soon.    Check out this state of the art catamaran named Meow....appropriate name for a cat.

Not sure what studio or movie this one is but it was a major production right there on the boat....

The Ted is a huge yacht and owned by none other than the Ted.........Ted Turner.  Check out all the movie banners on this one.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2016, 10:19:24 PM »

OK JC, lets see you post up the pics of you and Miguel in the Star Wars Star-trooper get ups!!
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »

OK JC, lets see you post up the pics of you and Miguel in the Star Wars Star-trooper get ups!!
Because we know you guys were wearing them in the crowd..
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:55 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »

Here's where all the VIP limos, vans, etc. park.  There will be many, many more parked here by evening.  As well as those with the more elaborate costumes, etc.  I arrived at 10:30 a.m. this year and so not near as many people nor as elaborate costumes as last year.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »

Shoots of the Coronado Bridge from the middle of San Diego Bay, on the ferrry.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »

This is where I lived and worked for the past couple of years....before moving to this side of the bay.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:26:03 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »

We'd dress more like zombie bikers or something.   :huepfenlol2:

But I got a few excellent pics of one of those storm troopers at last year's ComiCon.....very, very sexey!   See the first couple of pages of this thread.

West Coast GTG   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »

A 2015 Corvette.  A new car provided by the Chevy dealership that was sponsoring the show.  The windshield sticker reflects 20 mph and at just un $76,000.

Awesome Pictures JCZ, although at 20mph you'd prolly get OTIS'd by a moped :)   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:24:43 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 21 queries.