Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Air Cleaner Cover Choices--There is a Poll  (Read 14999 times)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Re: Air Cleaner Cover Choices--There is a Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 06:41:29 PM »

This one is obviously not in your poll, but here is another idea to consider.  This one comes with an aluminum mesh behind it as a separate piece.  Paint the mesh the same color as the powdercoating on your jugs.  It is an open flamed design, and you can find them on ebay for about $100.00.  They also come in other open designs from the manufacturer.  I live in FL and have ridden with this one in numerous torrential downpours with no problem.  Just another idea...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »

Hey SCRM-R, I like it [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 06:57:23 PM »

I think I remember reading that there is a "sock" you can put on it when it's raining...kind of like a raincoat, or something else I won't mention here.... [smiley=devilish.gif]

you mean for times the bike's sitting in the rain, leaning over on the jiffy stand????  I'd forget to take it off and then.... :o....aaaarrrgh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »

This one is obviously not in your poll, but here is another idea to consider.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »

Hey SCRM-R
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 07:16:37 PM by Rjob749 »

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 07:26:35 PM »

Hey SCRM-R
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 07:35:35 PM »

This is what you need - AN big sukkah with the grooved cover - and keep 'em guessing - that's what I say

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 07:39:50 PM by UK_Dave »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 07:40:58 PM »

NOT MUCH - you're not!!

A Parts Ho like you must be logged in 24/7

Cheers

Dave

I'm really not Dave, they charge too much on E-bay. Beagle chases all the E-bay Stuff. Remember I don't even have a Paypal account . Once in awhile I see something like this I gotta have and I call up the Beagle and get him to snipe it for me and then I pay the piper - - I mean the Beagle  :D                

I like buying cast-offs from everyone on this site. My friends think I'm some kind of working class hero with the deals you guys give me. Everything ends up on someone's bike and it's all good  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Big B

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 08:02:33 PM »

Yeah - That's fair Brian - I'll let you off...

Lord knows I've bought enough off here and eBay - BTW is there an official TLA for eBay disease? EBD?

Or maybe a full Latin name

internettobiddamania perhaps??

Whatever

I just scored a set of chrome calipers (+braided hoses) on eBay UK for

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »

Hey BB - I'm getting real close - Know what I mean? - Like I noticed you were -
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:09:53 PM by UK_Dave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 08:11:43 PM »

Your flamed lid looked great with the stock cylinders.  I think it is too busy with the diamond cut heads/cylinders.  I would do the full chrome cover with some more red in the cover somehow/somewhere.  The open element looks ok but not rider friendly.  Don't be mad at me, but I was hoping you were going to do something with the flamed air cleaner as everything else looks so great since the diamond cut/color.  

Bob, I liked the flamed red lid so much before that I'd honestly just not stopped to consider doing anything different.  After seeing the side-by-sides as suggested here I agree that it's not a real complement to the engine behind it.  I don't think it's bad.  But it's certainly not a benefit to the overall look in my eyes.

IMHO flamed looks to busy and greatly takes away from the real beauty of the bike, the diamond cut & red b/g. from those three choices, I'd go with the stock. BUT I'd keep looking for something to really compliment the real beauty not conflict with it.

MJ, that's pretty much where I'm at right now; considering alternatives.  Whether it's hardware changes behind the little cover or some other cover I'm not sure yet.  But if nothing else this little exercise has illustrated for me that some alternative can improve on what was there.

I have to go with the small cover although it isn't the most functional as you point out.

The painted cover doesn't work with the new look engine and the stock full cleaner looks too bulky.

However, if you look at d00d's picture, you wouldn't see the a/c when riding nor would someone seeing you riding.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »

Don, I've been trying to catch up on everything. It seems like if you're into keeping up with this place, it's hard to take a day off! :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:15:09 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:27 PM »

OK, TwoLane.  You're dead-on with your analysis.  I've always been on a quest for a pleasing air stack for the harley V-Twin motor.  Ran no air cleaner on my knucklehead chopper for 19 years while looking for something that wouldn't be ugly and cover too much of the beautiful motor.  The smaller the better (visually) which goes against everything (other than velocity stacks) that is available.  I've got some of the same ugly plumbing on my intake assembly so if you find some answer (just like the wheel brake disc problem) .... I'll be forever greatfullllll!!!!!!!!  [smiley=znotworthy.gif] har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder

Spyder, whenever you and I bounce one of these kinds of question around we always end up having similar goals and reviews of what we're seeing.  My opinions have always been much as you just described and right now and back in the same boat.  Almost makes a guy wish he hadn't stopped to think about it  ;D .

I'm going to have to say that I don't particularly care for any of them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »

Twolane call Zippers and get the round CHROME air cleaner cover. It looks better than all three posted and you need to add it to the poll. JMHO

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Mike, this is certainly going to be one of those "different strokes for different folks" kind of things.  But I never really cared for the EVO looking round cover even when it was on all the EVOs.  Think I'm going to have to keep fishing.  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 08:24:38 PM »

Don...Sorry about the pic, but thought you might like to see the carved billet cover from Zippers that might look pretty good with the cut billet on your rocker boxes.

Brian, I'd seen that version of the round lid before too.  A significant improvement over the plain round lid.  But again in just a personal taste thing; I don't care for the round lid.  Even in the  EVO days when round lids were everywhere I never thought the shape was a good complement to the geometry behind it.  

I think what bothers me about the pic Don has up is that it is a tapered element...if it was straight, I think it would look better..it'd be a little bigger, but not by much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.