Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Lifter failure  (Read 14088 times)

chicoman

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Lifter failure
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »

Must not, they sell alot of these things. Maybe if we stop buying them they will improve

artanner1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

As you can see how important it is to remove pan and clean it. As well look above ( IE bottom side of trans case) the powder coat has a great way of trapping small particles of metal. Taking the time to thoroughly clean this entire area is very important.
Man I'm glad I read this!!! you were right....In the oil passage top of transmission going to the oil pan I thought I had it clean, took a strong magnet and went all over the area, found small particles on the magnet...Thanks for sharing!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:47:15 PM by artanner1 »

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

You'd think that HD's engineering would be embarrassed as to these rampant issues?
Maybe it doesn't matter? :nixweiss:
Scott
He said HD and Engineering in the same sentence.  :huepfenlol2:  HD engineering has been on a long vacation. In fact I think I heard they eliminated that department all together.  ;)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »

I hear you, but when the T/C was being advertised when it was first coming to the market, the crank was touted as being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and had the ability to be more powerful than a speeding locomotive..............they were wrong on that as well...
Scott

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

I hear you, but when the T/C was being advertised when it was first coming to the market, the crank was touted as being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and had the ability to be more powerful than a speeding locomotive..............they were wrong on that as well...
Scott
yes they were very wrong on that. As we all know the crank is one of the major weak points in that engine.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »

The pressed cranks always had the potential to shift in use, especially hard use, but the big difference IMHO was when Harley made the change to the 2007 (2006 Dyna) crank and primary designs.  With the '99-'06 cranks, they typically came from Harley with .001 or less runout.  With the new design and tooling changes for 2007, that "straight from the factory" runout figure more than quadrupled.  So the crank was a piece of crap from the moment it was pressed together, before anyone even had a chance to use it hard.  And in typical Harley fashion, they haven't fixed the problem in the following seven years.

I think they need to just start selling rolling chassis and let customers install a good powertrain from other sources.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »

2004 88"ers and 2007 96" engines seem to have been the worse, with the 2004's being 3-4-5X as bad, from our experience.
Scott

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

2004 88"ers and 2007 96" engines seem to have been the worse, with the 2004's being 3-4-5X as bad, from our experience.
Scott

Maybe after they got the first 100 years under their belt they figured they could slack off.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »

Well the bike is out of the shop with new lifters, cams, adjustable push rods and the new upgraded cam plate. Harley motor Co would not help out on anything. 28k miles and the motor sh*t the bed. The dealer knocked 400 and change off the bill because I do most of my service through them.I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or sell it and buy something more reliable. Really disappointed in the way Harley stands behind their signature product.
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

Well the bike is out of the shop with new lifters, cams, adjustable push rods and the new upgraded cam plate. Harley motor Co would not help out on anything. 28k miles and the motor sh*t the bed. The dealer knocked 400 and change off the bill because I do most of my service through them.I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or sell it and buy something more reliable. Really disappointed in the way Harley stands behind their signature product.

You see you had 28k and Harley banks on the garage queens and bar hoppers only racking up 1-2k a riding season. You exceeded the designed use LOL. I have 21k on my '12. I already had a valve bend and it left me stranded 600 miles from home. Gotta love them HD's (Hardly Driven?)

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

You see you had 28k and Harley banks on the garage queens and bar hoppers only racking up 1-2k a riding season. You exceeded the designed use LOL. I have 21k on my '12. I already had a valve bend and it left me stranded 600 miles from home. Gotta love them HD's (Hardly Driven?)

Here you go Jesse.
Local shop dropped off a 2012 CVO 110" rear head with a similar problem like you had. Guide was much worse than yours.
This was what I found, guide broke in half in the guide bore, exhaust valve slightly bent.
John

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »

Here you go Jesse.
Local shop dropped off a 2012 CVO 110" rear head with a similar problem like you had. Guide was much worse than yours.
This was what I found, guide broke in half in the guide bore, exhaust valve slightly bent.
John
Hey John that sucks. Glad we got those junk stock guides and Springs out of mine! Call you soon to catch up!

Jesse

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »

Here you go Jesse.
John

How the He** does that happen ?????? Seem to me there isn't much an owner can do to prevent that, I'm sure not going to pull the cylinder heads to inspect them -- but I may borrow a borescope from work and go in through the spark plug hole -- ASAP.

:jack: sorry  ;)
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »

Same here
This 110 only had 6k on the clock

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »

How the He** does that happen ?????? Seem to me there isn't much an owner can do to prevent that, I'm sure not going to pull the cylinder heads to inspect them -- but I may borrow a borescope from work and go in through the spark plug hole -- ASAP.

:jack: sorry  ;)
I can tell you what i would do if i bought a new bike.  I'd have the heads, cams, and exhaust upgraded and a real tune done right after break in.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.