Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 60898 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »

NO Hijack meant, thought you guys might like to see this BIG BOO-BOO with the 2014 BMW R1200RT Recall.

Also not the same bike model, but same brand. BMW is giving you THREE options if you have one of these bikes with the recall.

Not sure how true, but I couldn't image Harley Davidson doing this!

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Harley would NEVER handle a recall like this.  First, they'd sit on the entire issue at least six months before admitting they had a "potential" problem, then they'd spend another six months trying to find the cheapest possible method of "fixing" the problem, then they'd make customers fight them in court to receive compensation for loss of use, loss of resale value, etc..  There is no way, based on what they've done in the fifteen years I've been riding their products, they would ever come right out from the git-go and offer to buy back the bikes for full out-the-door price.  That smacks of real customer service, which is something H-D management has no experience with.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »

NO Hijack meant, thought you guys might like to see this BIG BOO-BOO with the 2014 BMW R1200RT Recall.

Also not the same bike model, but same brand. BMW is giving you THREE options if you have one of these bikes with the recall.

Not sure how true, but I couldn't image Harley Davidson doing this!

:o

YB

Wow! Wait? What? They are going to tailor the entire experience to the customers benefit?  :2vrolijk_21: That sure isn't the HD branded way  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Harley would NEVER handle a recall like this.  First, they'd sit on the entire issue at least six months before admitting they had a "potential" problem, then they'd spend another six months trying to find the cheapest possible method of "fixing" the problem, then they'd make customers fight them in court to receive compensation for loss of use, loss of resale value, etc..  There is no way, based on what they've done in the fifteen years I've been riding their products, they would ever come right out from the git-go and offer to buy back the bikes for full out-the-door price.  That smacks of real customer service, which is something H-D management has no experience with.
Jerry

Hey Jerry, at least they've gotten it down to months instead of years.  Timken bearings issues with the EVO that lasted 4 or so years in the mid 90's and the fiasco with the EG's ignition switches that lasted at least from 86 when they FINALLY put out the recall in 95 after everyone had already had their switches replaced on their dime.  Just a couple of fine, "quality" control points and there are numerous others. 

RUSHMORE my big old butt.  I believe that slogan should be two words, not one and they've been doing that for decades....

Still enjoy my Harley and have enjoyed most of those I've had with many miles on all of them.  I've never been stranded with any of these issues but had to ride with my hand on the ignition switch from Louisville, KY to Lexington, KY so it would stay running.  Cheap bearings almost left me stranded but made it to the dealer just in time.  Don't know if I would buy another one at this point.  I'm planning on keeping Ginger for many, many years.  When the 110 finally dies, I'll rebuild and keep going. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »

Wow! Wait? What? They are going to tailor the entire experience to the customers benefit?  :2vrolijk_21: That sure isn't the HD branded way  :nixweiss:

I watched the video.
Is that really a true offer from BMW?
Like the guy on the video said, it seems they have painted themselves in a corner.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

I watched the video.
Is that really a true offer from BMW?
Like the guy on the video said, it seems they have painted themselves in a corner.

SBB

It's on the Internet, it HAS to be true ;)

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »

This is from the Safercar.gov website today.  Nothing about the items that were on the youtube video but that might be what's discussed when the owner contacts BMW. 

Report Receipt Date: JUN 12, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V320000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 950
All Products Associated with this Recall 
   Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)BMWR1200 RT2014
Details 
1 Associated Document 
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLCSUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2014 R1200 RT motorcycles manufactured November 27, 2013, to May 5, 2014. The affected vehicles have a Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) rear shock absorber. The piston rod within the rear shock absorber can break without warning, causing loss of stability.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the piston rod breaks it will cause loss of stability, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the Dynamic ESA shock absorber, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in July 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417. Note: Owners are advised not to ride their motorcycles until they have been remedied.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

ultrarider123

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

:jack:  And this is from the BMW Motorcycle magazine...

BMW says they became aware of the situation on April 1, 2014 “through a warranty claim in France. It was noted that the piston rod of the rear shock absorber broke after approximately 700 miles, collapsing the rear suspension. The defective assembly from France was returned to the supplier for analysis. A second warranty claim occurred in Sweden on May 27, 2014 after approximately 1,500 miles.”

Further, “By May 30, 2014, slider tool drum endurance tests on production spring strut assemblies were conducted by the supplier, which replicated the failure observed in the two warranty claims.”

BMW says the recall should begin in July 2014 with dealers replacing the Dynamic ESA shock absorber, free of charge. Owners are still advised not to ride their motorcycles until they are repaired. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov and reference NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V320000

Now back to the regularly, scheduled discussion of the CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL now in progress.... ;D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »

It's on the Internet, it HAS to be true ;)

"Touche" there Jesse!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »

Here's the recall resolution chart:  Like someone said, we'll never see Harley handle something this way.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »

Here's the recall resolution chart:  Like someone said, we'll never see Harley handle something this way.

That's amazing.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »

Go visit a BMW forum for 5 minutes and see what they say about customer service. Last weekend I went on a ride with some co workers all of who except 1 other (Harley) than me were on BMW's (8 of them). Their stories (customer service, cost of repairs/maintenance, lack of dealerships in small towns, length of time to get a service appointment and complete "gouging" on basic services, horrible re sale values) make ours seem like nothing. All i heard about for the entire lunch and most of these guys are not "whiners" at work at least..
Alan

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Having been a BMW rider for a year and a half, and getting ready to be one again, I feel qualified to make this statement.

Harley is the American BMW, BMW is the German Harley.

BMW generally has their $hit together a bit more, though they're more sticklerish when it comes to warranty work. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

Having been a BMW rider for a year and a half, and getting ready to be one again

So...
It's official now?

(Still not my fault)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »

So...
It's official now?

(Still not my fault)
Stock shocks, mufflers, seat, windshield, etc are back on the CVO.  Numbers are looking favorable.  If they don't piss me off when we get down to brass tacks, there'll be one of these sharing the garage with Vader.

I just got tired trying to make the CVO be something it's not.  The GTL is just as comfortable, and it's dynamically a better bike than any Harley will ever be, no matter how much money you or I throw at it. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:14:43 AM by 05Train »
The best you've had is the best you know.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

I have had numerous HD bikes including the CVO bikes (3 of them so far....). I currently have a 120 T man in an 06 street glide which is a bike I built when I got sick of the HD crap involved with the CVO bikes.  Then I bought a used 09 BMW GSA.  Ugliest bike ever built, but it just works!  Traded the 09 GSA for a 2013 GSA and have had nothing to do but change the oil.  Last year I put over 6000 miles on the GSA and 200 on the street glide. I will be leaving for a 4000+ plus trip out west in a couple of weeks...guess what bike I will take? I have found the BMW dealerships friendly and product focused. Can't say that of a the local HD dealers.  The only gripe I have is that the BMW dealerships are not as plentiful as HD and that can be a bit frustrating if you are 200 miles from the closest BMW dealer.  Besides that, I am quite pleased with the BMW brand....any body interested in a really quick Street Glide??  Spook
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 22 queries.