Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 60894 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »

Yeah, I can't fold myself up enough to get comfortable on the GT.

Yep.  I did a short test ride on the GTL when 1st introduced.  Seemed nice.  Rode GT and lost all interest.  Need a longer ride on a GTL for a better comparison. 

I've been over on the BMW site for a while.  The comments and post are remarkably similar to any Harley site.  Members helping each other out with what are becoming known issues.  Same "They all do that" answer too. 

JW

Jwerve   Help a brother out:  LBVS?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »

I have owned both!
And today don't have the BMW!
I have a stable with many bikes in it, a 1930s indian, a 1963 BSA, two CVO,s and a Ducati 1199s! all these bikes all have one thing in common, they all have a soul! you don't have to ride them hard, you don't have to ride them fast, you just ride them and every time you do it brings a smile to your face and forget the chit you have to deal with from day to day.
The BMW was probably the best motorcycle I owned but had no soul, no history and no feeling so it had to go because lets all be honest, if it was a means of transport we were talking about we would all just drive cars!!!
You lucky bastard!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

You lucky bastard!
Yep, I suppose I am! that's only the bikes and not the cars!
But I really do love the days when I jump on the first bike I ever purchased with my own hard earned cash! a 1969 royal enfield 350 bullet, it breaks down every time I ride it and every time I get it running again is like losing my virginity! not many things in life can give you that feeling! that's why we ride bikes  is is it not? get a bus, get a train, they all make more sense! but we don't! we ride!!!!!!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »

Train, congrats on the new ride.
The wife and i rode one last year and it's a nice bike. One problem with it was the wife hated the pillion seat, she felt the position was too much higher than the rider portion and the slope of the seat was wrong for her. Long story short....no BMW for me -- except maybe that 1000RR thingy cause she wouldn't ride on the back of that one anyway.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »

Train, congrats on the new ride.
The wife and i rode one last year and it's a nice bike. One problem with it was the wife hated the pillion seat, she felt the position was too much higher than the rider portion and the slope of the seat was wrong for her. Long story short....no BMW for me -- except maybe that 1000RR thingy cause she wouldn't ride on the back of that one anyway.
Funny, my wife actually likes sitting up higher since she's so short (5'2").  Her issue is with the top box....It's too far back.  I think I'm gonna replace the mount with the one from the GT which moves it 2" closer.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »

Funny, my wife actually likes sitting up higher since she's so short (5'2"). 

My BSR loves the seating on both the GTL and the CVOs.  'Course, she doesn't complain much about anything, which is not the same as "doesn't have an opinion".  She definitely has opinions.   :furious3:
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »

Yep, I suppose I am! that's only the bikes and not the cars!
But I really do love the days when I jump on the first bike I ever purchased with my own hard earned cash! a 1969 royal enfield 350 bullet, it breaks down every time I ride it and every time I get it running again is like losing my virginity! not many things in life can give you that feeling! that's why we ride bikes  is is it not? get a bus, get a train, they all make more sense! but we don't! we ride!!!!!!
A guy at work just bought a brand new version of the Royal Enfield.

Btw who's money are you spending now? Lol

LBVS is laughing but very serious. Learned from my kids lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Congrats Train!

My first real girlfriend  father when I was a young lad had a basement full of BMW's, and All kinds of Brits motorcycles. Over half the bikes (15 to 20 bikes) that I remember were all German!

Good luck with your new toy!

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »

Yep.  I did a short test ride on the GTL when 1st introduced.  Seemed nice.  Rode GT and lost all interest.  Need a longer ride on a GTL for a better comparison. 

I've been over on the BMW site for a while.  The comments and post are remarkably similar to any Harley site.  Members helping each other out with what are becoming known issues.  Same "They all do that" answer too. 

JW

Jwerve   Help a brother out:  LBVS?

So on these BMW forums, are there many who are switching to Harley?  Or is this phenomenon on the Harley forums only. 

PS, rode the 2014 R 1200 GS yesterday. Bike is tight, fast and very smooth. Very addictive to flog around. Was jumping curbs and wheeling over speed bumps. Guy spent $25,000 for a fully loaded GS.  So I came to a realization,  we all need 2 bikes. A Beeeemer and a bad ass HD.   
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »

PS, rode the 2014 R 1200 GS yesterday. Bike is tight, fast and very smooth. Very addictive to flog around. Was jumping curbs and wheeling over speed bumps. Guy spent $25,000 for a fully loaded GS. So I came to a realization,  we all need 2 bikes. A Beeeemer and a bad ass HD.

Make it three - two badass HD's and a Ducati  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »

Before I found out that I liked the people on this forum, I found out that I liked the information that I could get here.  I'm on my third CVO and although I haven't had the chance to rack up a ton of miles on this one, I've got one of those itches that needs scratched.  I'm seriously exploring what my next bike will be.  I've been thinking about a 2015 Harley, but I can't research much of anything on them yet, since I don't know what will be available.  I could do another CVO Ultra, as the Rushmore bikes would likely offer me enough of a change to satisfy me for a while.  Then there's the possibility of switching to the new Road Glide and wondering if there will be a Road Glide Ultra CVO.  I've also taken into consideration an Ultra or Road Glide that's not a CVO.  But, in thinking about it, a complete changeover to a BMW came to mind.  I was very happy to see this thread and realize that I'm not the only one that has considered this move.  Reading through the comparisons and contrasts pointed out have been of some help to me.  I still haven't actually gone to see one in person or test ride one.  If I ultimately do make the move, I'm guessing I'll be right back in the same position again in short order, and probably end up with another CVO again.  I get bored easily.  If I get a BMW, one of my friends here already told me he'll slap the crap out of me.  I've seen a lot of people that have gone back and forth between brands in all directions.  Anyway, back to the point...even the bike magazines do yearly comparison reviews between different brands of touring bikes, so why not here too.  I want to know if I already have the right bike or if I might like something better, and there's no better place to find out the real differences than here on the CVO forum.  If this thread was a comparison of CVO's to whatever Yamaha's touring bike is, I have no interest and I would have simply skipped reading this thread.  That seems to be the answer for anyone that doesn't want to read this comparison...just don't read it.  Pretty simple.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »

First of all, thank you for all the thumbs-ups!

Once I get a few miles on the bike I'll do a full-on comparison.  The short version though is that both the CVO and the GTL are great bikes....Just different tools to do similar jobs.

JW - The GS is one of the most fun bikes you can ride.  I had an Adventure prior to the CVO and it made me feel like a kid again.  That bike was just stupid fun.  I'd love to have another one.  If I could only afford three bikes......
The best you've had is the best you know.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »

If I get a BMW, one of my friends here already told me he'll slap the crap out of me. 

Dave, just for the record, your post above confirms that you have at least two friends on this site.
Me and the friend you posted about above.

;D

We going to see you in the Valley? I have a road you need to ride?

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:25 PM »

IMHO as long as it is on 2 wheels its all good! My company is involved with BMW which has a amazing employee deal that they would let me have which would have made the GTL about half of what my CVO ended up being. They gave me a bike for a couple of days (did about 300 miles) and I definitely fell in love with the power and suspension of the GTL and tried very hard to fall in love with the bike and take advantage of "the deal" but just couldn't. No doubt it is an amazing machine and if I was getting a bike to use as every day transportation it would be a complete no brainer but that was not why I was getting a new bike. For me a mc is my passion and hobby. I ride only when I don't have to and the "soul" of the bike is what it is all about for me. The sound, the feel, the vibe of a Harley is just in a league of its own and for me, worth even paying all the money (certainly didn't get any deal on it) and have never regretted it. I will say that the reason I did the 120r and the Ohlin suspension was to try and get the "performance" part as close to the BMW as I could while still having the "Harley".
I do not think its ugly and actually do think its beautiful and certainly had my hands full last weekend trying to keep up with all my co workers on their BMW's. They were complaining all day how loud my bike and my stereo was and I just smiled and said "yes it is"...
Alan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.