Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 61160 times)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

Yeah, the stereo's really not all that.  Truthfully, I'm surprised they bothered with speakers since so many BMW riders wear full helmets and there are excellent Bluetooth solutions available.  I can confirm though that at 80mph with a half helmet I can hear the thing pretty well.

One other thing that's taking some getting used to is the complete lack of driveline inertia.  It's like there's no flywheel.  Blip the throttle to downshift and the motor pops up to 6000rpm.  Poke the throttle while you're riding along and the bike just takes off.  It's a big learning curve shifting the bike smoothly.  The boxer twin I had in the Adventure wasn't at all like this.
The best you've had is the best you know.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »

I am used to my feet sitting out in front of my knees.  On the GT that I sat on today, my feet felt like they were behind my knees or maybe directly below, but still I'm not used to having to bend my knees that far when I'm riding.  I'm always seeing these guys on sport bikes riding along, standing part way on the pegs and shaking one leg at a time off the pegs.  Now I understand why.  If that's the actual setup on the GTL, I don't think I'd be riding more than 50 miles before I would have to take a break.  You're a lot bigger than me Dave, so I think it would be even worse for you.  I'm still surprised that we haven't crossed paths yet being so close by.  Actually, I thought you lived out around Mt Pleasant or something out that way but I noticed that you are real close.

I used to live in Mt Pleasant.  lol
We spoke about this before, so you are right.
Moved to Murrysville just a few months ago.
It is much closer to work.
Wife works at Cochran and I teach at Rosedale Tech, so are commute is waaaay shorter.

I'm sure one day we will cross paths, you wont be able to miss me, 6'4 350 plus.
Just a little guy.  lmao

Big Dave

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »

It's all in what you get used to.  I rode Japanese bikes for thirty years before buying my first Harley, and initially I hated the control layout on the Harley and it took me awhile to make the transition but I did.  The same will be true for people switching from a Harley to a European or Japanese bike.  When you get too old or hardheaded to learn new things, then perhaps making a change isn't a good idea.  Otherwise, I say go for it.

Btw, I still think the Harley turn signal setup stinks versus the one switch on the clutch side that I had on those other bikes.  When you have a short thumb on the right side like I do, keeping the throttle steady while hitting the right turn button can be a bitch.  I had to make an extension to mine so I could do it easily.  And the footboard thing wasn't exactly the easiest transition either.  I still like mid controls with pegs.  In other words, I'm not your typical Barcalounger rider, laying back with my feet forward and up.  There's a very good reason why you don't see that arrangement on bikes used for racing or other serious high speed work.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »

Jerry

HD has you covered now! You just need to get the new "Street" version and you can get the turn signals all on one switch on the clutch side  :nervous:
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »

Jerry

HD has you covered now! You just need to get the new "Street" version and you can get the turn signals all on one switch on the clutch side  :nervous:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »

Jerry

HOT DAMN!  I'll go over to my "friendly" dealer first thing tomorrow and let him fix me right up  (when pigs really do fly) .

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »

The worst part of the damn switch is that if your use to the HD layout, riding along on the "Street" model and you hit what you think is the right turn.................. you just shut the bike OFF! Then since they wired it such, you crank and crank and it will not refire. The damn starter works with the switch in the OFF position! Never going to admit how I know that one.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »

Did 260 miles today.  Holy crow is this thing sweet.  Needs a firmer seat and the highway pegs I've ordered.  Other than that and a windshield, I'm good to go.  Had the power dialed back via the "Rain" mode (cuts the hp from 160 to 107), and it was still a blast. 

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »

OK, now I'm on a laptop so I can actually type.

OK, here's the way it fits.....

Not a huge difference, though your feet are further behind you.  I've got highway pegs on order, so this is really a non-issue.

Anyway in "Rain" mode ("Harley" mode) it approximates the power that my CVO made.  With 200 pounds less to haul around and a much more aerodynamic shape, it flat-out flies.  The brakes are stellar.  The A-arm front end allows no dive in the corners at all, and the paralever rear suspension keeps stuff in line no matter what.  Even with the reduced power I was 20-30mph faster through the corners on familiar roads....And this is on an unfamiliar bike.  Once I get in sync with it and go full power it'll be 40-50mph quicker.  This thing flat-out defies the laws of physics.

Nicely enough, at the reduced power setting, it's perfectly comfortable cruising along at the speed limit and being a platform for sightseeing.  The only real bother (if you can call it that) is that there's zero flywheel effect.  Pull the clutch in and the revs drop like a stone.  Blip the throttle to downshift and it zings up to redline.

But damn.....Why is it that no one other than Harley can figure out self-cancelling turn signals?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »

That's a good illustration of exactly what I said yesterday.  On the BMW, my legs are in the position that I move my legs to when I am going to stand up from a chair and where they're at on the Harley is where my legs are when I'm sitting comfortably in a chair.  I did find floorboards available for the BMW, however I don't know how much that would help with that angle.  I would think the floorboards would have to have the front end angled toward the ground.  I don't ride with my feet on highway pegs all the time.  I like to have different positions available, and on the Harley, I use the floorboards for my heals and highway pegs for the ball of my foot and toes.  That's where I am most comfortable.  I cannot duplicate that position in any way on the BMW.  Thank you for confirming that what I experienced on the GT will be pretty similar on the GTL.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »

I ride 97% of the time with the balls of my feet on the highway pegs and heels on the floorboards. My legs are stretched out.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »

I'll have to snap some pictures once the highway pegs show up.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »

I just realized my sig pic shows exactly how I ride lol.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »

There's quite a distance between the footpegs and where the engine guard goes on that bike.  I don't think my feet would make it very long on pegs for either position, and I don't think floorboards would look to appropriate for the highway position on that bike.

maac16324

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 08 Dyna
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2014, 03:05:17 AM »

I have both. Bought a 2012 1600 GTL when they first came out. I have had a 2009 CVO UC, 2010 Limited, 2013 CVO UC and two 2014 CVO UC's ... One in Canada and one in NZ. Have about 15,000 miles on the BMW and tens of thousands of miles on my Harley's.  My take on the BMW is that it has amazing performance. BUT .... After about 100 miles your body is begging to get off of it. Riding the BMW for long distances is torture. I have about $3k in modifying the seat and riding position. My Harley's can be ridden comfortably for 4-600 miles a day .... Day after day after day in reasonable comfort. Expect to get between 5 and 7,000 miles out of a set of tires on the BMW before they are COMPLETELY worn out ... Down to the steel treads. Don't even consider finding a set of replacement tires for the BMW on the road unless you are in a major city. The GTL is gigantic! VERY tall and VERY tippy. Don't even consider it unless you are over 6 feet and muscular. Don't worry about the GTL being stolen because the average rider couldn't even consider riding it. The elaborate bag system on the GTL holds about 35% less than my CVO UC's. Less if you use the bag liners. My take on the GTL is that it is a perfect touring bike in Europe where a big day on the road is 185 miles. In North America, forget about it! Even with the GTL's amazing performance ... And it is amazing, my CVO UC will beat it from Seattle to Sturgis by two days. There is more to touring than blistering performance. Harley has touring in North America Down pat and the GTL is a very distant fifth behind Harley, Indian, Victory, and Honda. Just my .02 based on experience.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.