Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 60890 times)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »

I have both. Bought a 2012 1600 GTL when they first came out. I have had a 2009 CVO UC, 2010 Limited, 2013 CVO UC and two 2014 CVO UC's ... One in Canada and one in NZ. Have about 15,000 miles on the BMW and tens of thousands of miles on my Harley's.  My take on the BMW is that it has amazing performance. BUT .... After about 100 miles your body is begging to get off of it. Riding the BMW for long distances is torture. I have about $3k in modifying the seat and riding position. My Harley's can be ridden comfortably for 4-600 miles a day .... Day after day after day in reasonable comfort. Expect to get between 5 and 7,000 miles out of a set of tires on the BMW before they are COMPLETELY worn out ... Down to the steel treads. Don't even consider finding a set of replacement tires for the BMW on the road unless you are in a major city. The GTL is gigantic! VERY tall and VERY tippy. Don't even consider it unless you are over 6 feet and muscular. Don't worry about the GTL being stolen because the average rider couldn't even consider riding it. The elaborate bag system on the GTL holds about 35% less than my CVO UC's. Less if you use the bag liners. My take on the GTL is that it is a perfect touring bike in Europe where a big day on the road is 185 miles. In North America, forget about it! Even with the GTL's amazing performance ... And it is amazing, my CVO UC will beat it from Seattle to Sturgis by two days. There is more to touring than blistering performance. Harley has touring in North America Down pat and the GTL is a very distant fifth behind Harley, Indian, Victory, and Honda. Just my .02 based on experience.
Now that's interesting (and yet another reason why there are 31 flavors).  I was on the bike for 5-1/2 hours yesterday, only time I got off was to pee.  The riding position is good for me, and will be better when I've got highway pegs.  The seat isn't nearly as bad as the torture device that came on the GS/A.....If I was 20 pounds lighter it'd probably be fine.

I don't really feel the tippiness either, but I rode by myself yesterday and without the top box.
The best you've had is the best you know.

maac16324

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 08 Dyna
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »

I'm glad your GTL is working for you. Like you said 31 flavors. I still have mine and take it out from time to time. It has amazing performance, great for an adrenaline kick. I really don't like the way the stock seat locks you in one riding position that caused my crotch to slide into the tank after a few hours in the saddle. VERY uncomfortable! The GT seat seems to be better in terms of allowing some room to move around, but not for padding. I opted for buying a new tall seat from BMW and getting a local seat builder to try to improve the comfort. After 3k$ no luck. I hear there is a seat builder in N. California who does nice custom seats for the GTL. I put custom machined highway pegs on mine and they did help but the basic problem was that the lowers are so wide you have to ride bow legged to get your feet on the pegs and the sharp edge of the fairing cuts into your calf. Another big annoyance is the conventional key to run requirement. I am so used to my Harley ignition fob that I am always getting off my GTL and leaving the key in the ignition. Would be worse if anybody could get on the GTL and ride away with it. No worries there, the only way the GTL is going to get stolen is if the thief has a flatbed and tie down straps. For a day ride the GTL is amazing. Despite its bulk the GTL is amazingly agile at highway speeds and braking and handling is an order of magnitude better than the UC. The torque curve is so broad that you only shift gears when you feel like it. I estimate that the GTL saved me thousands of shifts on my big trip over what would have been required on my UC. I love the dash tire pressure readout and am amazed that Harley hasn't stepped up to this on their bikes. It is a big safety feature and the technology has been around for over 20 years. BMW made a good choice to allow for a Garmin 660 GPS to be used on the bike. It works great compared to the pathetic excuse for a GPS contained in the Harley "infotainment" system. Like I said the GTL is full of wonderful features and capabilities, BUT if touring long distances is your game, the Harley Ultra Classic is the better choice in my opinion.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »

HOT DAMN!  I'll go over to my "friendly" dealer first thing tomorrow and let him fix me right up  (when pigs really do fly) .

Jerry ;D

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »

<snip> From another thread
So pictured below is my latest purchase. <GoldWing pic>

Is this a thread to discuss whether a Wing is better or worse that our CVO's? Nope. The best I can tell after 500 miles is that they are different. I have friends with both CVO's and Wings and they love both.
So think what you like, ride what you want, but know I'm having fun regardless of what bike I'm on.

To those offended by my posting about a Wing on a CVO site, get a life.

SBB

Absolutely GOLDEN! Thanks, man, for clearing that up.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »

Good try Dan, but I don't think that meets my very strict definition of a "flying pig".  I loved the attempt though.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »

Absolutely GOLDEN! Thanks, man, for clearing that up.

As has been established you pick and chose the words from a post to get the most impact you can.
People see through that.

What I posted was,

To those offended by my posting about a Wing on a CVO site, get a life. I will be the first to tell you if you want to know about a Wing, join a Wing forum, I did. If you want to know about an Aprilia, join an Aprilia forum, I did. If you want to be a part of the best forum on the internet, well guys (and ladies) CVOHarley is my choice.

SBB

Post away there surly, your post make the case for pettiness much better than anyone else can!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

Rode to work today.  I'm sure I looked ridiculous in my nylon Harley jacket and half helmet.  Gotta say, at highway speeds it's downright serene behind the windshield....So much so that I didn't wear my earplugs on the way home and had zero discomfort.

The bike cruises really well at 70mph.  Hands-off the bars and it tracks absolutely straight.

Took the long way home through the backroads of central MD.  Very familiar territory, and I was again impressed at how well this bike goes about its business.  On a winding road you can just leave the thing in 3rd or 4th gear, and as long as you stay above 1,500rpm there's a bottomless well of torque.

The only gripes I have are relatively minor.

I've gotten very used to not using a key to start my bike.  BMW is way behind the curve on this one.  Same thing with the turn signals.  Why is it that Harley seems to be the only company that can figure self-canceling out?  And the stock tires suck.  They're scrubbed in good, but still feel greasy.

Furmon

« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »

I've decided to keep my CVO Street Glide after thinking about it.  The K1600GTL is a great bike but it doesn't fit my riding style.  I went out today and ordered a tour pack for my bike.  The paint for the 2011 CVO's is going to become obsolete when the new models come out this month.  My dealer happened to be having a 20% off sale this weekend so it worked out good. Tried to attach picture but it is to big.

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »

I've decided to keep my CVO Street Glide after thinking about it.  The K1600GTL is a great bike but it doesn't fit my riding style.  I went out today and ordered a tour pack for my bike.  The paint for the 2011 CVO's is going to become obsolete when the new models come out this month.  My dealer happened to be having a 20% off sale this weekend so it worked out good. Tried to attach picture but it is to big.

Good for you!  I have the mid size tour-pak painted factory CVO colors to match my 2012 CVO SG and couldn't be happier.  You can mount the tour-pak on a quick detach mount and take it off when you want.
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »

Am I understanding you correctly that those of us with 11 - or in my case 11.5 CVO's will not be able to get factory painted parts - or does this just mean that the long wait for painted parts will just get a lot longer ???  kinda makes me glad I've been  searching for and hoarding painted parts off of ebay for my 11.5.

Sorry for the  :jack:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Furmon

« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »

My dealer told me the 2011 paint codes go obsolete when the 2015 models are announced, the parts guy told me this. Not sure what this means, said I wouldn't be able to get a tour pack in the 2011 paint style. Makes you wonder what happens if you have a wreck and need replacement painted parts. Might of been trying to make sure I ordered tour pack. I was going to get it anyway so it made no difference to me.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

Dropped the bike off at the dealer today for the 600 mile service.  Still too early for a full report, but I'm feeling verbose....

- Adjustable levers.  Sounds like a silly little thing, but a tiny adjustment in where the clutch and brake levers are makes a world of difference.  I can now two-finger the brake while still working the throttle, and I've shortened the clutch pull enough that it got rid of the jerkiness I was feeling.

- Power windshield.  Love it.  Every bike should have one.

- Mirrors.  They're mounted way up on the fairing, but with them up there I can finally see all the way behind me without moving my head.  Again, a little thing that makes a big difference.

- The Magical Wonder Wheel.  I can access any information or suspension adjustments without taking my hands off the grips.  Super intuitive system too.

- All three bags come off in less than 2 minutes.  And the bike looks good without them.

- The suspension.  I don't think about it, it just rides and tracks beautifully.  Road gets rough, switch it to "Comfort".  Wanna ride like a hooligan, switch it to "Sport".  Bike hasn't bottomed out once, and nothing has jarred me out of the seat.

- The power.  It's everywhere, even in the low-power "Rain" mode.  Shifting isn't necessary.  I can literally leave it in 3rd gear from a dead-stop up to about 70mph.

Not So Much

- No locking kickstand.  Just dumb not to have one.

- No self-canceling turn signals.  These things aren't rocket science.

- Key has to stay in the ignition.  I'm spoiled, I guess.

- Luggage space.  Not as much as the Ultra.  Not a whole lot less, but still.

- Side-opening saddlebags.  Sure, they look all swoopy, but they dump your stuff out when you open them.

- The top box rocks back and forth on the mount.  Not a lot, but it does move.  Makes me wary of mounting a luggage rack on top.

- The transmission is clunkier than I'd expected.

Other than that, this thing is a dream.  I added an engine guard with highway pegs, got a new windshield with a recurve coming, and I scored a taller 2-piece seat on Ebay.  Looking forward to getting it back and being able to let this thing run at full power.

More to come.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »

Interesting comments 05Train - thanks for posting...

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »

Am I understanding you correctly that those of us with 11 - or in my case 11.5 CVO's will not be able to get factory painted parts - or does this just mean that the long wait for painted parts will just get a lot longer ???  kinda makes me glad I've been  searching for and hoarding painted parts off of ebay for my 11.5.

Sorry for the  :jack:

That would suck.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »

My dealer told me the 2011 paint codes go obsolete when the 2015 models are announced, the parts guy told me this. Not sure what this means, said I wouldn't be able to get a tour pack in the 2011 paint style. Makes you wonder what happens if you have a wreck and need replacement painted parts. Might of been trying to make sure I ordered tour pack. I was going to get it anyway so it made no difference to me.

Why is that a problem when you can send parts to Xtreme Dimension and get them painted to the factory CVO color scheme?
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.