Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL  (Read 60901 times)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: CVO Street Glide vs BMW K1600GTL
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »

No idea what you're talking about. I ride 300-600 mile days on my bike with no ear plugs and I never have any ear issues.
Totally subjective.  I have found that I have no tolerance for noise anymore.

Had some time to kill in Austin last week and test rode a GTL for about 45 minutes. Fun bike. Lots of power and lots of high tech gadgets. Missed the floor boards and shifter took some getting used to.  Seat was comfortable but seemed very confining. Sound system kind of sucked. That being said, I would buy one if nearest dealer wasn't 150 miles from where I live, but would still keep my RG. Might get rid of SG, but not sure I could do that either.
The stock GTL seat sucks.  The stock speakers suck. 

When it comes to the ride though, it's a killer.
The best you've had is the best you know.

ROBSMST

« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »

I realize I am reviving a very old thread but as I just returned from a 3,700 mile trip on the K1600 I thought I’d post some highlights of my experience.

Current bikes in garage are a 14 RK CVO with a 113 and a tourpak. And a 15 K1600GT converted to a GTL exclusive with all the add ons.

Prior to our big trip my wife spend a lot of time on both bikes but chose the BMW for the trip. So I added different seats, armrests etc. The works to make it as comfortable as possible for two up riding.

The thing eats miles like nobodies business. It does everything you ask it to do extremely well.

Due to fires in CA and our home being in an evac zone, my wife flew back from SDakota. I rode back alone. I noticed two things on my ride back that I did not notice on my way out.

1) knees hurt. I have the GT but I do have risers for pull back and a sergeant seat. Still if I keep the bike I’d want to lower the pegs and raise the seat for some knee relief.
2) butt hurt. While the sergeant is great for about 4 hours or every other day 8 hours. For daily 500 miles I’d have to switch to a Russell day long. Stock is a no go as only good for a couple hours.
3) dangerous crosswinds. With the top box, touring shield, arm rests etc, just lots of fairing panels, the bike was dangerous in High cross wind gusts. Sustained not so much as predictable. I was knocked 10 feet to the left last the emergency lane and almost into the divider once and blown left and right same distance another time with no vehicles around. The first time I was next to a big rig and I thank God I was blown left and not right. Now I know about the crosswinds and this bike. So I prepared and did as much as I could to setups. But still had two very close calls. Oh and I have 20K miles on it so I know the bike.

Two years ago I did a similar trip on the RK and crosswinds were no problem nor were my knees or butt.

I love the tank on the K1600. 7 gallons. In rain mode I could easily stretch it to 400 miles if I wanted to. So going through Nevada lonely rd at speed was no issue. Love being able to change the ride on the fly. Comfort. Sport. Normal. Same with motor. Rain. Road. Dynamic. Also the height for parking and or solo or two up. The adjustable shield.

Upon my return I got on the RK and immediately remembered why I love it too.

They are different rides. Comfortable in different ways. If I was going to have one bike it would probably be a CVO limited. But for now I’ll keep both the K16 and the RK and take one depending on the mood.

For all considering switching rent one for a day. Learn what you like and don’t like. They are very different from the H-D touring models.

2019CVONH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2021, 08:21:19 AM »

Thinking about trading my 2011 CVO Street Glide in on a BMW K1600GTL.  Wish I could have both but not in the cards.  Like a lot about both bikes, afraid if I take a test ride on the GTL I'll want it more then the Street Glide.  Has anybody went to the GTL from a CVO. I get tired of a bike after a few years and want something different, wife doesn't agree with having two:(
Furmon,

I purchased my first HD last year. 2019 CVO and love it. Before this I’ve had 7 BMWs with the last one being a K1600b. We test drive a used GTL because they didn’t have a demo bike. The used one I thought was a POS. The transmission had a annoying clunk in it that the dealer said “This is normal for the K bikes”. Well not for this guy. I had all R series bikes before this and every one was incredible. The K1600b we had last was OK. No issues but a month after I traded it BMW came out with a major recall on the transmission. So to answer you question on the BMW K1600 GTL, if you are able to test ride a new one, you will take your checkbook out and have them fill it out! That’s how impressive it is. A buddy of mine has one of the fasted HD around our area and he could still beat me but not by a lot. The K1600 is 160 hp without being chipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2021, 08:22:23 PM »

I went from a 2015 CVO Limited to a 2018 BMW K1600B.  Since I typically ride solo since my wife is not riding until the kids get older, I enjoyed the ride and performance of the BMW a lot more.  The K1600B is a much different bike than the OP posted.  It's lower and better ergonomics for longer relaxed riding.  The CVO Limited is a moch more long range bike for 4-700 mile days.  The BMW is good for about 350 max.  Now the BMW will be paired with a new 2020 Indian Chieftain Elite that I just ordered.   
2015 CVO Limited

2019CVONH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »

I went from a 2015 CVO Limited to a 2018 BMW K1600B.  Since I typically ride solo since my wife is not riding until the kids get older, I enjoyed the ride and performance of the BMW a lot more.  The K1600B is a much different bike than the OP posted.  It's lower and better ergonomics for longer relaxed riding.  The CVO Limited is a moch more long range bike for 4-700 mile days.  The BMW is good for about 350 max.  Now the BMW will be paired with a new 2020 Indian Chieftain Elite that I just ordered.

2019CVONH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »

You’ll never see another like this one.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2021, 12:15:16 AM »

Have a FLHXSE3, loaded with every add on and motor work.  Bought a 2016 K1600 also loaded up.  Great bike for short ride days.  Upright position killed my knees and back.  Wife would not even get on it, she said that her seating position is way too high.  She also hated the looks.  For a comfortable bike to ride for long ride days, get a Harley bagger and fix it up how you like it.  The saddlebags also really suck on the BMW.  Also, after I put on the new seat, you had to be long legged to feel comfortable riding it.  I sold it without remorse.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.