Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 14, rear shocks.  (Read 2040 times)

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
14, rear shocks.
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:32 PM »

I asked sometime back about what one would do to their new cvo.   Got lots of replies and one was install new ohlins rear shocks.      Well after 1100 miles. I know why that was said.   The stock rears sucks.  No matter what pressure is in them.   Anyone else change them out and have better ride without the bottoming out.   Our roads sucks around here.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Re: 14, rear shocks.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »

I replaced my front and rear shocks (Traxxions & Bitubos) after 17,000 miles.  I wish I had done it at the time of purchase.  One of the best upgrades I have done.  I really think any shocks are better then the pieces of poop they ship on their "top of the line" bikes.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »

I replaced my front and rear shocks (Traxxions & Bitubos) after 17,000 miles.  I wish I had done it at the time of purchase.  One of the best upgrades I have done.  I really think any shocks are better then the pieces of poop they ship on their "top of the line" bikes.

How much does it cost to do a job like that, parts and labour at a shop?

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »

The cost of the shocks was around (off the top of my head) $2000 last year.  I removed my front forks and stopped by their shop and let them upgrade front tubes.  I did the removal and install of the front forks and rear shocks myself.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »

I asked sometime back about what one would do to their new cvo.   Got lots of replies and one was install new ohlins rear shocks.      Well after 1100 miles. I know why that was said.   The stock rears sucks.  No matter what pressure is in them.   Anyone else change them out and have better ride without the bottoming out.   Our roads sucks around here.

I used the Ohlins model 159.  It is a 13" shock but has adjustable ends.  Net/net the with the adjustment made to the short length the ride height on my 2012 FLTRXSE is the same as it was with the stock 12" shock.  Needless to say the ride is substantially better but at $800 it's not cheap.   The pain of the price tag goes away pretty quickly after the install:)
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »

One would think that "premium" CVO models would come with "premium" suspension, but they don't. If they did, the dealers wouldn't be happy as that's a major FLH weakness and moneymaker for them if you opt for the dealer-installed H-D P&A "premium" suspension. Personally, I'd trade all the CVO pack-in extra crap that filled my tour pack and bags for the upgraded suspension. I went with the HD-357 "motor officer special" shocks on my non-CVO R/K. Pricy, but worth every penny, IMHO.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

After quite a bit of research I had the Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge Kit installed last winter and ordered a pair of Bitubo WME 330mm rear shocks at the same time. Had my dealer pull and forward the front end to Traxxion for the install - I wasn't even in the same state as the bike when this was done. Cost was around $2,500 overall, but I view the upgrade as significant. Traxxion provides a discount to forum members so ask about it if you go this route.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.