Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 5459 times)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Front suspension
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »

Nope, stock height. 

The Intiminators are far and away superior, and I retain the stock ride height. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »

'Ridden my buds' Skunk with the PS (f&r) and did not care for the handling at all! While the front end has a really precise feel, both the f&r are very harsh and the tires constantly lose contact with the pavement on anything but glass smooth pavement (not only with me riding the bike, but I can see that as well when I am riding close behind him), he likes the PS and they warrantied the monotubes for him at 45k, but not the labor, which as we all know, is significant on a RG. I know that "The Ball&Chain" would hate the PS.

'Have the H-D Premium (f&r >14k) on the '09 SERG and am very happy with it ( after "settling in" at around 700 miles, and adjusting the shocks 2x For me it doesn't require any further adjustment whether solo/2up/loaded). Very little, if any brake dive, smooth, supple, just the right amount of firmness, no wollowing or floating at any time (except 2 days ago, when I shifted into 4th at 5,300 at full throttle and it floated the front tire for about a 1/4 mile, reminiscent of the Built for the Desert Yamaha 465 running cross country :bananarock:).

'Considered the Traxxion, but I didn't want to have to ship the forks back to NC when/if service was required.

'Would have probably went Ohlins (more dealer network, better service availability if needed) if the cartridges were available 18 months ago when I was ready to upgrade the suspension.

I'm sure that the Traxxions or Ohlins are the Cadillacs, but I am very satisfied with the H-D Premium Suspension that I am running now to consider changing to the Ohlins.

For me, it isn't broke anymore, and I aint goin to $pend 3x as much trying to fix it...

JMHO, your results may vary...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:19:10 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »

'Ridden my buds' Skunk with the PS (f&r) and did not care for the handling at all! While the front end has a really precise feel, both the f&r are very harsh and the tires constantly lose contact with the pavement on anything but glass smooth pavement (not only with me riding the bike, but I can see that as well when I am riding close behind him), he likes the PS and they warrantied the monotubes for him at 45k, but not the labor, which as we all know, is significant on a RG. I know that "The Ball&Chain" would hate the PS.
Bingo, you just said it perfectly.

When hitting really bad pavement, not only would the tire lose contact with the road, but the bars were violently wrenched around.  I got terrible forearm pump trying to maintain control when the roads got bad.

But this is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors......Not everyone likes the same thing.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

CVOSE

• FL

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 05:20:06 AM »

I did put the progressive monotubes in about 7000 mls ago. After discovering that only changing the rear that the balance between front and rear had disappeared. It is an improvement above the stock shocks. But on a road with realy bad pavement the ride is a lot worse. But that's maybe 1% or less of the roads I drive.

Overall it's worth the investment.

ccrickster

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »

FWIW...I ride a 2008 RG (not a CVO). I did a 13k mile ride from NJ to CA to WA to AB to CO to MI, ME and back a couple of summers ago and now have 28k on the bike.

I love my Roadie and I thought the bike handled pretty well for a big touring bike. I didn't like the "brake dive". I found the stock air shocks to be comfortable but I was slightly higher off of the road than I wanted to be. So, after doing my research, I decided in March to send my front forks to Traxxion Dynamics and I had them install the AK-20 Cartridge Kit. Dan and everybody else there that I dealt with were great to work with. I also bought and installed a set of JRi-B 12" Shocks.

It's now a new bike! It's even more fun to ride than ever before!

1) No more brake dive...I like that aspect!
2) The front end is more responsive. Now I can feel the front wheel contact with the road compared to the previous heavy feel.
3) The JRi shocks are 1" shorter, lowering the seat height to where I want it to sit. These shocks are a huge improvement to the stock air shocks. Much more responsive and dramatically improve the overall feel of the ride.
5) Increased overall confidence in both my own and the bike's capabilities!

For anyone considering a suspension modification, I highly recommend the AK-20 Kit and a good set of rear shocks!

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
Front suspension
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »

FYI, the Ohlins suspension is the bomb! It's everything I was led to believe and then some! The more I ride with it, the better I like it. Considering the premium cost, the premium ride and handling is expected! The FKC-101/HD-357 frt/rear combo is truly all that.

FWIW, the front cartridges come STD with a spacer and spring to allow a 1" drop, if so desired (and paired with the corresponding 1" drop in the rear dampers). I went with the std ride height despite the very cool slammed look the 1" drop gives as I ride the thing hard and need max cornering clearance. While I can't be sure the ride-height adjustable HD-357 remote reservoir gas shocks in std 13" length will accommodate the corresponding 1" drop, I would consult OHLINS if you're considering lowering your ride.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:30:49 PM by kmh364 »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »

'Have the H-D Premium (f&r >14k) on the '09 SERG and am very happy with it ( after "settling in" at around 700 miles, and adjusting the shocks 2x For me it doesn't require any further adjustment whether solo/2up/loaded). Very little, if any brake dive, smooth, supple, just the right amount of firmness, no wollowing or floating at any time (except 2 days ago, when I shifted into 4th at 5,300 at full throttle and it floated the front tire for about a 1/4 mile, reminiscent of the Built for the Desert Yamaha 465 running cross country :bananarock:).

'Considered the Traxxion, but I didn't want to have to ship the forks back to NC when/if service was required.

'Would have probably went Ohlins (more dealer network, better service availability if needed) if the cartridges were available 18 months ago when I was ready to upgrade the suspension.

I'm sure that the Traxxions or Ohlins are the Cadillacs, but I am very satisfied with the H-D Premium Suspension that I am running now to consider changing to the Ohlins.

For me, it isn't broke anymore, and I aint goin to $pend 3x as much trying to fix it...

JMHO, your results may vary...

I have the HD premium cartridges and shocks on my 11.5 CUSE6 and find the same to be true -- except the part in red - no lofting of the front end for me  :huepfenlol2:.

The Ohlins remote reservoir rear shocks do have my attention, as a replacement when I tire of the HD premiums I have.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.