Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowering the ultra  (Read 2559 times)

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
Lowering the ultra
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »

Like the title says, who has lowered theirs and what did you use.  Pics would be great! Thanks

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: Lowering the ultra
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:55 PM »

I have lowered mine.
I originally used the 1" lower cartridge kit in the front and Progressive 944's for the rear which lowered the rear 1" but still retained the full length of travel.
Scraping the floor boards is / was not an issue unless really killing it. Have to be mindful of curb type driveway entrances (or similar) but otherwise was a vast improvement in handling and height.

I have since changed the rears to the homemade adjustable air suspension. This is the bomb and I will never have another Harley without it.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I would like the details on the air suspension.  I love this MC but wish it was 1in lower.  Thanks

Geradane1

• CVO1: Fltruse 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »

Look this site
www.activesuspension-cdc.com/
I have this kit and i like it
very sastified
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:13:08 PM by Geradane1 »

Seaweedman

• CVO1: 2014 Limited (jupiter blue)
    • CVO2: 1971 Police Special with sidecar
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:31 PM »

I traded in an '07 Ultra for the 14 CVO Limited which I picked up in May. After a few weeks I found that I would like it a little lower. After seeing some comments on this site, I opted for the Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Rear Shocks. They lowered the bike probably by an inch. (I also found that I can just leave the adjustment in the middle, and it worked fine for solo riding, and for riding with my wife on the back). The one inch made a huge difference. I can now get both feet flat on the ground. But not all that firmly on the ground. We just came back from a 4,500 kilometer trip around the Gaspe (passing through Trois Rivieres on Jean Baptiste Day), and there were a couple of times that I felt a little unsteady on quick stops. There was also an occasion when I was stopped and the wheels were in a rut about one inch deep. I realized that its not just the feet on the ground... but having them away from the bike a bit that gives the real support at a stop (like a tripod). (After 40 years of riding I am still learning stuff). So... I was checking this site again for that reason, and I think that when I take the bike in for its "recall" on the brake line, I am going to lower the front end by an inch with the lower cartridge. I suspect that it will make all the difference in the world - and make an already amazing motorcycle that much more comfortable to handle at stops. Clive
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:20:30 PM by Seaweedman »

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »

Don't lower it. You will ruin the ground clearance. Which I guess is fine if you don't plan on take a curve now and then.

get a custom saddle that lowers the seat higth instead

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »

Don't lower it. You will ruin the ground clearance. Which I guess is fine if you don't plan on take a curve now and then.

Sounds like a better option IMO. I had considered lowering my an inch and after reading many threads and advice I did not do it. One member on here ( I think it was GRC) suggested thicker soled boots. The first day I rode to work with a new pair of redwing climbing boots (required for work), I realized I did the right thing by leaving mine alone.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »

I traded in an '07 Ultra for the 14 CVO Limited which I picked up in May. After a few weeks I found that I would like it a little lower. After seeing some comments on this site, I opted for the Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Rear Shocks. They lowered the bike probably by an inch. (I also found that I can just leave the adjustment in the middle, and it worked fine for solo riding, and for riding with my wife on the back). The one inch made a huge difference. I can now get both feet flat on the ground. But not all that firmly on the ground. We just came back from a 4,500 kilometer trip around the Gaspe (passing through Trois Rivieres on Jean Baptiste Day), and there were a couple of times that I felt a little unsteady on quick stops. There was also an occasion when I was stopped and the wheels were in a rut about one inch deep. I realized that its not just the feet on the ground... but having them away from the bike a bit that gives the real support at a stop (like a tripod). (After 40 years of riding I am still learning stuff). So... I was checking this site again for that reason, and I think that when I take the bike in for its "recall" on the brake line, I am going to lower the front end by an inch with the lower cartridge. I suspect that it will make all the difference in the world - and make an already amazing motorcycle that much more comfortable to handle at stops. Clive
You have described exactly what I have been trying to say to others. That is exactly what my problem has always been with my short legs. Also why I can't get my right knee area away from the heat when stopped. I saw JC one time on a Nor Cal ride that if he hadn't had those long legs of his he probably would have went down. Tripod is a good description.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

Look this site
www.activesuspension-cdc.com/
I have this kit and i like it
very sastified

Did you get $3500 of satisfaction?

Shorter shocks also ruin the ride, making it much harder, less compliant, and less travel to soak up large holes or bumps.  Try seat mods and boots first.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

I'm 5'6 I use a narrow low seat and thick soled boots. Works great.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Seaweedman

• CVO1: 2014 Limited (jupiter blue)
    • CVO2: 1971 Police Special with sidecar
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »

After a great deal of thought I went ahead and had the front lower cartridges installed. (Prior to taking delivery of the bike in May, 2014 I had the seat lowered - and I ride with one inch heels on the cowboy boots). I figured that if the handling didn't work out, then it would be a few hundred bucks to go back to the stock cartridges. Now, with the work done on the seat, the shorter premium adjustable rear shocks and the lower front cartridges, I get both feet firmly on the ground and my stops are much more confident - without interference from the passenger boards. It handles great (I tend not to try to send sparks out on the tight corners - getting too old for that - although my 71 F.L.H. can still light up the night without too much difficulty). At the end of the day, I suspect that the Harley engineers put some serious work into the lowering kits, and I think that they did a great job. So... I concur with Mr. Warlock (above) that there is a vast improvement in handling and height. The improvement in handling is probably just in my imagination... but it really does seem easier to control at slower speeds. Again... Harley has come up with a terrific motorcycle. Cheers.

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »

Lowered mine, 1" and i have not had any problems in the corners. But i dont ride mine like a crotch rocket. Dont get me wrong i like the corners, but i also know i am riding a heavy touring bike. as for a seat i would rather lower the bike than thin out my Mustang seat. give the boys a call at Traxxion Dynamics. AK-20's in the front and the 300mm Bitubo in the rear. I beleave they still give foreum members a discount.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »

Just a suggestion. Before you go a spend the money on Harley or aftermarket air ride shocks, take a real good look at the aftermarket world with oil shocks. JRI, Ohlins would both be very good options to lower your bike and also greatly improve the ride and handling at the same time. I will tell you that it was the best money I have spent on a bike, just ask my wife.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.