Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel Balancing ?  (Read 1636 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Wheel Balancing ?
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

Well, went to one of the local dealers for a new rear tire yesterday. Told the service writer when I called that I wanted it balanced with the chrome weights like it came with. Told them again when I got there. Got in a hurry to leave and didn't check....you know what I got. Now I have 6.5 inches of 1/4 ounce lead weights, 3" on one side and 3 1/2" on the other side of my chrome wheels. My god, does anyone do things right anymore! I won't get into the oil and grease on the wheel, swing arm, and exhaust. (bike was detailed before I brought it in) Had good luck at this dealer before and thought that I had a winner. I guess they are all the same. If I can't do it myself, I guess this is what I have to look forward to. Sad.
Anyway, my question is-- can I buy the correct weights in larger one ounce or half ounce sizes and place them in the center of the current location and maintain the balance?
Back when I was a kid working in a service station we would break the tire back down and spin it on the rim to get the best starting point, then weight it. But that was back when we cared about our work.  End of rant!
Thanks!
RETIRED! :fireman:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Wheel Balancing ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

The answer to your question is yes.  It should approximate the dealer's job.  Since you're concerned about the appearance, however, have you considered Dyna Beads?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Simpleman1025

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »

You can also try a product called Ride On, www.rideon.com. Not only does it state it balances but also protects against punctures. I put it in my tires front and back.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »

Why not go and talk to the manager of that dealership where you had the work performed and let him know you aren't satisfied and want the tire indexed to the rim to minimize the amount of weight required, then the wheel and tire balanced using the weights you previously specified.  And don't forget to mention the filthy condition the bike was in when you got it back.  If people just accept shoddy work and never complain, things aren't likely to get better.

It's a sad state of affairs these days that so few places seem to give a chit about doing things the right way, or care about what the customer wants.  If you do find a good place, make sure to let them know you appreciate the way they do business, and spread the word.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »

I'd meet with the service mgr, tell him you want it done over - like you instructed them to do.  I'd also ask for an explanation as to why their tech thought it was acceptable to replace chrome wts with lead. 

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »

You can also try a product called Ride On, www.rideon.com. Not only does it state it balances but also protects against punctures. I put it in my tires front and back.

+1 ... it is the only stuff I use in all my bikes.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

Thanks.
I have used dyna beads in a previous bike's tires. Still have some. It seemed to do OK but I never had to remove the tires after putting in the dyna beads. Wonder how that would go? Same with the sealant.
I'll be calling the service manager but I'm not sure if I want a pissed tech working on it. I wish I had a way to break it down, spin it, and balance it myself. Makes me wonder what kind of work the Honda dealer would do?
3 1/4 oz seems like a lot for a MC tire?
RETIRED! :fireman:

Simpleman1025

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »

Walk around the showroom and check out the amount of weights that are on brand new from the factory bikes. You'll be surprised.

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »

Be careful with the Dyna Beads.  I had a horrible vibration after using them.  They are susceptible to harmonics in the bike throwing them out of whack.  I then went to Ride-on and that stuff seems to be alright, but it does take a few miles of riding to redistribute through the tire when the bike has been sitting for longer than a few hours.

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

Why not go and talk to the manager of that dealership where you had the work performed and let him know you aren't satisfied and want the tire indexed to the rim to minimize the amount of weight required, then the wheel and tire balanced using the weights you previously specified.  And don't forget to mention the filthy condition the bike was in when you got it back.  If people just accept shoddy work and never complain, things aren't likely to get better.

It's a sad state of affairs these days that so few places seem to give a chit about doing things the right way, or care about what the customer wants.  If you do find a good place, make sure to let them know you appreciate the way they do business, and spread the word.  Jerry

Well said....harrumph

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »

Imho, nothing will beat a solid Road Force balance.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »

Well, went to one of the local dealers for a new rear tire yesterday. Told the service writer when I called that I wanted it balanced with the chrome weights like it came with. Told them again when I got there. Got in a hurry to leave and didn't check....you know what I got. Now I have 6.5 inches of 1/4 ounce lead weights, 3" on one side and 3 1/2" on the other side of my chrome wheels. My god, does anyone do things right anymore! I won't get into the oil and grease on the wheel, swing arm, and exhaust. (bike was detailed before I brought it in) Had good luck at this dealer before and thought that I had a winner. I guess they are all the same. If I can't do it myself, I guess this is what I have to look forward to. Sad.
Anyway, my question is-- can I buy the correct weights in larger one ounce or half ounce sizes and place them in the center of the current location and maintain the balance?
Back when I was a kid working in a service station we would break the tire back down and spin it on the rim to get the best starting point, then weight it. But that was back when we cared about our work.  End of rant!
Thanks!

My dealer uses Dynabeads

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.