Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Which Rear Shock???????  (Read 27568 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Which Rear Shock???????
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »

I am considering replacing the rear shocks, of course I started by reading as many of our collective posts as I could find. It appears that EVERYONE says that ANYTHING is better than the "air shocks", but I don't have air shocks on my 2011 CVO SG, I have the "Premium Ride, Hand Adjustable" HD shocks which retail for $499. Based on your recommendations there seems to be four more considerations:
1. Ohlins - HD039   S36E  12 inch shock $699
2. Suspension Technologies - F-Tech 120BB  $490 (not currently in stock)
3. Progressive - 444-4061B - (as low as) $463.74
4. TerryCable - Item Id: 35-UL-3-150 - $750  (this is a recent post and a new player to me)

The HD shock brags that compression and rebound are split between the two shocks by utilizing the hydraulic adjustment knob on the left shock.  The Ohlins shock appears to be a relatively simple design with no special features other than a pre-load adjustment. The Progressive shocks feature a "Frequency Sensing Technology" and pre-load adjustment. The Suspension Technologies shocks have no unusual features except the owner (Mike Alex) is a gifted guy that may be sitting on a gold mine if he can solve his inventory issues, that said there isn't much data out there on his "F-Tech" other than a few posts. The new guy, TerryCable is much the same without the stock problems.

Is the HD product as good as one of the above? Will I notice a difference? If so, it seems to me that Ohlins has devoted much of their technology to sport and racing bikes, heavy touring products are their "basic" solutions not their bread and butter. Although Mike Alex is a cool guy, I am unable to determine what exactly makes his product better than the others, and that would include TerryCable as well.  Lastly, Progressive has many articles available if you search here or "Google" it, that said, when you find six that like them, you will find two that don't.

Are my HD Premium Shocks crap? When you match up Ohlins and Progressive is it comparing two top of the line products that will BOTH provide ride and handling improvements? Since there is no price advantage with the "new" guys, why take a chance when Ohlins and Progressive have millions of parts out there, and top notch CS and tech support reps available? 

I WOULD SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR INFORMED RESPONSES, I have read hundreds of "my guy is better posts". I am looking for reasons why one manufacturer is better than the others that has more detail than "they are much better than stock". 

Thanks,
OWL

1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Which Rear Shock???????
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »

'Installed the HD Premium Shocks on the '09 SERG, an improvement over the stock air shocks, then about 3-5k mi. later, installed the HD Premium Cartridges. The front and rear playing well together, made a huge improvement!!! I can't imagine a heavy touring bike riding or handling any better.

'Have ridden CVORGs with Progressive F&R and the ride is too harsh and bouncy for me (us)

If the Ohlin's front cartridges were available when I was ready to upgrade, I would have given them heavy consideration for front & rear.

IMHO unless I get an opportunity to ride a dresser with the tricked out Ohlin's and it really blows me away, (I'd be real surprised!) I'm happy with the HD Premium stuff. It ain't broke, so I'm not going to try to fix it.

No matter what you decide, remember that for any great motorcycle suspension, the front and rear have to play well together...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »

'Installed the HD Premium Shocks on the '09 SERG, an improvement over the stock air shocks, then about 3-5k mi. later, installed the HD Premium Cartridges. The front and rear playing well together, made a huge improvement!!! I can't imagine a heavy touring bike riding or handling any better.

'Have ridden CVORGs with Progressive F&R and the ride is too harsh and bouncy for me (us)

If the Ohlin's front cartridges were available when I was ready to upgrade, I would have given them heavy consideration for front & rear.

IMHO unless I get an opportunity to ride a dresser with the tricked out Ohlin's and it really blows me away, (I'd be real surprised!) I'm happy with the HD Premium stuff. It ain't broke, so I'm not going to try to fix it.

No matter what you decide, remember that for any great motorcycle suspension, the front and rear have to play well together...

FlaHeatWave,

How much weight for the bike, single up or two up?

I have an '09 SERG stock frontend and Progressive 440's with heavy springs on the back.  They are 13", not 12" like the stock air shocks.

The shocks were a step up, but I feel I'm not even close to a good ride yet.

I ride two up and we weigh in together at around 380#, but we do not heavy pack.

So you used the Harley adjustable shocks, one weak spring and one heavy one with the adjuster on the left heavy spring shock?

The cartridge front is also Harley?

I'm looking for a reasonablely  priced optiion and yours sounds doable for a modest amount of money.

Let us know please.

Thanks
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »

I'm 275, "The Ball & Chain" is around a buck and a quarter. 2-up >95% of the time.

70% of the time, the Chopped TourPak and bags are loaded for our "Sport Touring" excursions.

She gets 1 bag, I get the other and the TourPak is community property. We have the TourPak packed so that we can stuff our jackets in it, if it is too hot to wear them.

'Got her carrying the tools in her bag, since her clothes are 1/5 the size of mine 'he 'he :nixweiss: 

When I was shopping suspension, I spoke with Progressive and they told me that a lot of people get their heavy duty stuff and are dissatisfied with it.

Here's what is in the '09 SERG

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/premium-double-cartridge-fork-kit

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hand-adjustable-rear-shocks (12" std. on '09 SERG)

'Did the shocks first, then the forks a little while (3k) later, it seemed like it took the forks around 500 miles or so to "settle in" and I adjusted the shocks a little firmer ( a rotation or two ) 2 times, hit the sweet spot and the bike rides fine solo / empty too...

I believe my Tech said that he used a little heavier fork oil when installing the fork cartridges, I think 15 wt instead of 10wt oil. He also mentioned that the fork oil should be changed at 50k on the forks. 

'Been fortunate to own / ride some tricked out bikes (street and dirt) over the years, I am impressed with this set-up. A smooth supple ride, not overly firm, the tires always feel like they're in contact with the road, brake dive is next to nil, not bouncy, no shudder, hold an easy line on those high speed Western Sweepers or the tight twisties, and when they do bottom out (not very often) it's a cushioned thud, not driving your tailbone through your neck...

To me, very well mannered all the way around :2vrolijk_21:

PS:
I did have the GlidePro Bushings installed in the '09 (mostly because I got free labor) while the drivetrain was being Built this past winter, (already had around 15k on the F&R suspension upgrades) the bike was down for 6 months, so it's hardly fair to say how much impact the GlidePros have on the handling of the new frame (the GPs along with the Commander IIs turned the '05 SEEG handling into a sport bike!) On the '09 the GPs and probably, the S&S .0005 (installed w/Timkin) Crank really smoothed out the vibration in the seat, bars, & footboards. I would do the GPs again...   

Dan, you might try upgrading the forks first with your 440s and play with the adjustments on the 440s, and see if y'all can find a sweet spot, if not the shocks are easy to change out...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 04:08:42 AM »

Dan, why did you use 13 inch shocks?  Are you suggesting that the correct upgrade should be to this size?  Many of the posts indicate the heavy duty 444's are too "harsh" (stiff?). We are also in that 350-380 range but I ride solo 90% of the time I AM concerned about installing the proper spring.

Heat, the F&R install is a good idea, but many people (yourself included) start with the back and (if not completely satisfied) then do the front. Many posts indicate they are happy with the back upgrade alone, are you saying that doing the back alone is inadequate?

I appreciate you guys responding, but at this point I'm totally frustrated, this is beginning to sound like an unneeded mod for a (mostly) one up rider.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

Dan, why did you use 13 inch shocks?  Are you suggesting that the correct upgrade should be to this size?  Many of the posts indicate the heavy duty 444's are too "harsh" (stiff?). We are also in that 350-380 range but I ride solo 90% of the time I AM concerned about installing the proper spring.

Heat, the F&R install is a good idea, but many people (yourself included) start with the back and (if not completely satisfied) then do the front. Many posts indicate they are happy with the back upgrade alone, are you saying that doing the back alone is inadequate?

I appreciate you guys responding, but at this point I'm totally frustrated, this is beginning to sound like an unneeded mod for a (mostly) one up rider.

OWL

Owl, I did the 13" because that's what I bought from a fellow CVO forum member.  I got a great deal on them and they were used very little.

I also figured that having the additional travel would not be a bad thing to have as I'm not ALL that into having my bike slammed to the ground look.

I guess anything would be considered an improvement from the stock 12" air shocks that the MOCO try to pass off as fit for purpose on the SERG.

I've read all the threads on mono-tubes, Ricor (spelling) inserts and now for the past few years it's been the cartridge inserts from HD.  All seem to be better than stock, but as the mono-tubes are getting some higher mileage on them, they seem to be having some minor issues.

I see the HD premium shocks for sale here occasionally and sometimes at a great price.  I just wasn't sure if they would be strong enough for my fat butt and BSR.  But it sounds like they are okay as many of the SESG guys upgrade to chopped tourpaks and ride two up with great success with the as installed from HD premium shocks.

I'll still sit on the side lines a bit more and let the opinions sort out.  Maybe a set of stock springs on the 440's would be a better first change.

This has been an interesting thread.  Sorry to have hijacked it with my questions.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »

Terry Cable appears to deserve a closer look. Really need to hear what more folks have to say, while I would trust 'Sidecar Dan's' opinion more than just a local down at the shop, at almost twice the price they better be good. That being said, I have never seen SD shoot from the hip.....if he says its good you can prob take that to the bank.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

You might get some info from this old thread,
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76154.msg1041133

I still like my Suspension Technologies setup with the H-D improved front end. As Metal Dragon says you won't really notice the 13" shock setup vs. 12" because it's at an angle not straight up and down but you will appreciate the added shock travel if you need it. I like the fact that they could make the rear shock according to my weight load and riding style not just some off the shelf "average" settings. I look at suspension as a total package and would do both at once for best results.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »

Owl,
I think most people (myself included) do the rear shocks first, because the rears are really easy labor wise compared to the front.
A lot of people do lower rears because of inseam length, or they want the lower profile in the rear. I'm not in either of these categories, 'just didn't want to alter the factory geometry. If I knew (realized?) then, what I know now, I would have done the front first on the '09 (To me, the front of the '09 SERG wallowed like a pig, compared to the '05 SEEG)

The '05 SEEG (father of the Street Glide) is lowered front / rear from the factory, the stock front has a much firmer feel than any other bagger I have ever ridden ('have not had an opportunity to ride a SESG). I really like the stock suspension of the '05 SEEG, always firm and planted, no wobbles ever, no bad habits, just not as supple as a well dialed in upgrade suspension... I prefer a firmer front suspension over a plusher ride, so I'm perfectly happy with the stock suspension on this bike ~ There, I said it on the CVO Forum LOL!!

As I posted earlier (reply #1), "No matter what you decide, remember that for any great motorcycle suspension, the front and rear have to play well together..."

JMHO - Your results may vary...

Peace Out, I 'gotta get to work :2vrolijk_21:   

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »

You guys are great, thanks so much, this is the kind of information I was hoping for.  Based on your input and some continued research, I have narrowed my decision down to the point where I will be ordering in the next few days. I also bagged a bunch of data on pre-load adjustments, fork oil "tuning", spring rate (load), and a couple of places to knock the prices down well below MSRP.  Also, there really are some good guys out there at the manufacturer's, if you treat them with respect they can be most informative.

OWL

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

You guys are great, thanks so much, this is the kind of information I was hoping for.  Based on your input and some continued research, I have narrowed my decision down to the point where I will be ordering in the next few days. I also bagged a bunch of data on pre-load adjustments, fork oil "tuning", spring rate (load), and a couple of places to knock the prices down well below MSRP.  Also, there really are some good guys out there at the manufacturer's, if you treat them with respect they can be most informative.

OWL
Well don't leave us hanging John! What are you going with?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »

Just finished up.  Ever been here? http://cycleplicity.com/
$509 for 944's including freight which is a good price for this set. I went with 13 inchers based on recs made here and by the factory Rep. Preload adjustment is easy at .75 inch loaded. 944's have a one inch built in "sag" (bike on the ground) so ride height is unchanged. Garage install here using lift.

If what you guys say is true, I'll be doing the front next, both Ohlins and Progressive are setting up install tents at Daytona in the Spring (got our rooms already). Got some advice on fork oil change and watched a u-tube on same, I might consider it (using SE heavy), but I'd rather spend the tech time on the tubes, the "book" rate is four hours for the monotubes.

The spring rate threw me for a while, but the preload adjustment can offset up to 200 pounds which should cover the BSR and a sissy-bar bag. I can't explain why, but with all the bikes over all the years I just never changed my suspension. Never to old to learn I guess, thanks again for the help guys, I'll post out my first impressions on this thread when I'm done.

OWL

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »

$509 for 944's including freight which is a good price for this set. I went with 13 inchers based on recs made here and by the factory Rep. Preload adjustment is easy at .75 inch loaded. 944's have a one inch built in "sag" (bike on the ground) so ride height is unchanged. Garage install here using lift.

If what you guys say is true, I'll be doing the front next, both Ohlins and Progressive are setting up install tents at Daytona in the Spring (got our rooms already). Got some advice on fork oil change and watched a u-tube on same, I might consider it (using SE heavy), but I'd rather spend the tech time on the tubes, the "book" rate is four hours for the monotubes.

The spring rate threw me for a while, but the preload adjustment can offset up to 200 pounds which should cover the BSR and a sissy-bar bag. I can't explain why, but with all the bikes over all the years I just never changed my suspension. Never to old to learn I guess, thanks again for the help guys, I'll post out my first impressions on this thread when I'm done.

OWL

Well I did not know this about the 944's. I think that's bad news for my wallet. I had ruled out the 13 inchers on account of my short inseams...

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »

Are Progressive / Ohlins going to be doing Fork installs at Daytona? The reason I ask, is that I spoke with the Progressive rep (at their install tent) at Laconia'12 and all they were doing was shocks, no forks at that time...

One caveat about the monotubes is that they're not serviceable, they tend to sack out around 50k, PS will warranty the parts, but not the labor...

The spring rate threw me for a while, but the preload adjustment can offset up to 200 pounds which should cover the BSR and a sissy-bar bag. I can't explain why, but with all the bikes over all the years I just never changed my suspension.

Suspension is the last thing most HD folks think about spending money on, it's not blingy, doesn't show, and you can't brag about Dyno #s so suspension is usually not on the average Harley owner's radar. Also, a lot of folks have never experienced a good suspension on any motorcycle, so they don't know what they're missing. Once you experience a good suspension, dialed-in for you, the only regret you'll have, is that you didn't do it sooner... :2vrolijk_21:

Never to old to learn I guess, thanks again for the help guys, I'll post out my first impressions on this thread when I'm done.

'Look forward to your feedback!

OWL

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:31 PM »

I have the same setup on my 11.5 CUSE6, and I agree with your assessment of the suspension. After about 500 miles the front settled in and the bike rides great and inspires confidence in the twisty bits. Some of the better money I've spent on upgrades.

I am impressed with the Ohlins remote reservoir shocks for the rear and I may give them a try when the HD premiums need replacement. Only problem with 'em is they are pricey.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:32:54 AM »

Heat, as of yesterday Ohlins was in contact with several Daytona shops in an effort to setup local installers.  Progressive has approached Destination Daytona for the same reason. With 3-4 hours of tech time involved per bike, they both say that on-the-spot tent installs are not possible, although both will continue with rear shock installs. Neither promised they would have installation available, only that they are working on it.

OWL

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »

OHLINS HD-357 remote reservoir gas-charged fully adjustable/rebuildable rear shocks are without equal...both in quality and price....> $1500/pair and worth every penny IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »

OHLINS HD-357 remote reservoir gas-charged fully adjustable/rebuildable rear shocks are without equal...both in quality and price....> $1500/pair and worth every penny IMHO

Absolutely agree!!
Alan

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »

What are you running in the front?

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

Which Rear Shock???????
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

Ohlins FKC-101 cartridge fork kit...$1k MSRP. They're  brand-new to the market and the 50 original kits imported by Ohlins USA are sold. There may be some left at authorized dealers.  Ohlins USA in NC says early Sept for restock. They're completely rebuildable and the best available at any price, IMHO.

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »

One note: the shocks will fit any FLT-framed H-D, but the fork Cartridges are good up to '13. '14-up uses different forks. I'm told Ohlins is working on a kit for '14-up, but no release date info yet.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:02 PM »

Ohlins FKC-101 cartridge fork kit...$1k MSRP. They're  brand-new to the market and the 50 original kits imported by Ohlins USA are sold. There may be some left at authorized dealers.  Ohlins USA in NC says early Sept for restock. They're completely rebuildable and the best available at any price, IMHO.

Are they really worth 1k??

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »

You bet!

FWIW, Traxxion Dynamics gets $1150 plus install for their cartridges, previously considered as the benchmark for Wings and H-D baggers

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »

You bet!

FWIW, Traxxion Dynamics gets $1150 plus install for their cartridges, previously considered as the benchmark for Wings and H-D baggers

And these are supposed to be an upgrade over the Traxxion? How hard is installation?

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »

I have Progressive Monotubes in front and Progressive 944 shocks and did the Glide Pro Kit and mine rides smooth and handles like a sport bike, or at least as much as a Harley can handle like a sport bike.

Traxxion is the best but is way more expensive. I did the Progressive front and rear for less than just the front using Traxxion and the Progressive is almost as good.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »

I have Progressive Monotubes in front and Progressive 944 shocks and did the Glide Pro Kit and mine rides smooth and handles like a sport bike, or at least as much as a Harley can handle like a sport bike.

Traxxion is the best but is way more expensive. I did the Progressive front and rear for less than just the front using Traxxion and the Progressive is almost as good.

I'm most likely going to pair the HD premium cartridges in the forks with the already installed HD premiums in the rear.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »

I'm most likely going to pair the HD premium cartridges in the forks with the already installed HD premiums in the rear.

Jesse,
I'm real happy with the HD Premium stuff.

kmh,
If the Ohlins forks were available when I was ready to upgrade, I would have probably gone that route F&R.

Honestly, I'm surprised how good the HD Premium stuff is...

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »

I have this setup in mine and I'm very happy with it.  Especially considering the somewhat moderate cost for a large improvement in the way the bike handles. 
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:28 PM »

I have this setup in mine and I'm very happy with it.  Especially considering the somewhat moderate cost for a large improvement in the way the bike handles.
Glad to hear. Thanks for sharing.
Did you do the install?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 09:39:53 PM »

Glad to hear. Thanks for sharing.
Did you do the install?

I looked into doing it myself, then said to myself ...self you're nuts..... let the dealer pull all that stuff off - fairing,radio,gauges, all dem wires...And let them put it all back in... And while they did that I was out riding my '01 Fatboy.

Would've been cheaper obviously to do it myself, cost about 4 hours labor, but lately getting time to do anything is the challenge...And when there is some "downtime" I'd rather ride than wrench when I can.

FWIW both the wife and I have the HD branded VISA CC and you can probably guess how I spent some of those reward points  :2vrolijk_21:  Since we refuse to carry any CC balance the reward points are like free money that we let accrue until there's enough to pay for all the stuff I want to get get done on the bike - wether service or just parts purchases

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »

I looked into doing it myself, then said to myself ...self you're nuts..... let the dealer pull all that stuff off - fairing,radio,gauges, all dem wires...And let them put it all back in... And while they did that I was out riding my '01 Fatboy.

Would've been cheaper obviously to do it myself, cost about 4 hours labor, but lately getting time to do anything is the challenge...And when there is some "downtime" I'd rather ride than wrench when I can.

FWIW both the wife and I have the HD branded VISA CC and you can probably guess how I spent some of those reward points  :2vrolijk_21:  Since we refuse to carry any CC balance the reward points are like free money that we let accrue until there's enough to pay for all the stuff I want to get get done on the bike - wether service or just parts purchases
I'm an avid hd visa user. It's funny you say that because i usually do all my own upgrades but was going to use my points in the spring and let the dealer hassle with it. I'm guessing about 800 ish installed?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »

I'm an avid hd visa user. It's funny you say that because i usually do all my own upgrades but was going to use my points in the spring and let the dealer hassle with it. I'm guessing about 800 ish installed?

If my memory works that price sounds about right. I think I came it at about 850 installed.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »

If my memory works that price sounds about right. I think I came it at about 850 installed.
Awesome thanks :)

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

Which Rear Shock???????
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »

I wouldn't be alone in saying the Ohlins stuff is an upgrade over everything else.

Installation is the same for all cartridges...labor for fork tube removal, disassembly, reassembly and reinstall is the same for whatever you do. You gut the forks and replace with cartridges, reassemble with new bushings & seals and add the Fork oil.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:54:55 PM by kmh364 »

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »

I used an independent shop I trust  for install and saved about half of what the H-D dealer would get

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »

Another one here that went the 13 route instead of the 12's. Running 13" JRI B's and will tell you best money I have ever spent on a M/C. Like Ed, I run 2up 90% of the time and will be in the 475 to 500 lbs range when we both get on with our junk. The 13's will just allow another inch of travel and allow you to soften the valving a little once the spring preload is set. The diameter difference in the 09's CVO rear tire vs the earlier model bikes causes a little loss in travel before you even start. That is another reason I went the 13" route
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »

I used an independent shop I trust  for install and saved about half of what the H-D dealer would get

Can't use my chrome cash there ;)

I ride 2 up 90% of the time but we weigh less then 300 combined.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 01:14:36 AM »

'Gotta Love 'Dem HD Visa(s)

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 03:24:35 AM »

OHLINS sets the suspension up for your weight, load and riding style. Your dealer can order and install.

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 07:13:41 AM »

AFAIK, the 13" Ohlins rears are ride height adjustable and can be used for 12" ride height without losing travel. The fork kit comes with the lowering spacer and spring as std equipment as well.

Call Mike Hensley at Ohlins USA headquarters in NC for more info.

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 07:15:23 AM »

No H-D Chrome Visa, but I make interest on all purchases on my Amazon Rewards Visa...and can spend the rewards anywhere

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »

Running progressive suspension all the way around lowered the ultra. 944's in the back and monotubes in the front. I'm on my second set of monotubes. Replaced by PS, labor not included, but had to be done.
Chrome Visa carrier,
Supershooter

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »

Running progressive suspension all the way around lowered the ultra. 944's in the back and monotubes in the front. I'm on my second set of monotubes. Replaced by PS, labor not included, but had to be done.
Chrome Visa carrier,
Supershooter
I'm assuming you have the 1" lower tubes. What was the issue?

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »

Short legs

kmh364

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

I think Jswerve meant why are you on your second set...what was wrong with the first set? Not lowered?

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

Not sure what happened but I could grab the handle bars, give them a push down and bottom out the monotubes, and they rebounded slow, so I virtually didn't have much shock absorption going on. The Indy that did the install said they looked bad.
Supershooter

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

Installed the Progressive 999's this past week. This morning I left early (to beat the heat) and give them a try. This was my first time up since May 8th when I began replacing both knees, I was looking forward to the ride.  In order to give the shocks and my settings a good test I headed up some country roads toward Sebring.  There are a few roads that way that are bumpy and have some old RR crossings that would provide the feedback I was looking for. I left the house with the springs turned down one full turn from full off (the factory setting). The bike seemed pretty solid until I hit the "washboards", there was too much "swim" and I pulled over.  I turned the adjustment rings another full turn (now two down from none) and turned around and rode the same slab. MUCH better, solid, smooth, full control without the "slippage" and no jarring. I am pleased with the 999's and my solo setting, next I need to tune in a two up setting.

This was a good improvement, surprisingly good in fact. I'm not one for hyperbole, but just because I'm not reporting a "shock-gasm" doesn't mean I'm not impressed. If you have it in the budget, this is a really good mod, and (here comes the hype) I now consider this a "must have" modification for any touring rider. Regardless of the manufacturer you choose, I believe you will find this a vast improvement over stock.

OWL

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

In regards to the HD Premium Rear Shocks....

Did you do both at the same time? I am thinking of doing the rears first then maybe the fronts later.

What improvements have you experienced over the stock air shocks?

How long have you had them?

It looks like an easy install. I like the idea of only having to remove the left bag to adjust preload when needed. Getting older is not what it's cracked up to be. The knees don't like to kneel like they used too.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

In regards to the HD Premium Rear Shocks....

Did you do both at the same time? I am thinking of doing the rears first then maybe the fronts later.

What improvements have you experienced over the stock air shocks?

How long have you had them?

It looks like an easy install. I like the idea of only having to remove the left bag to adjust preload when needed. Getting older is not what it's cracked up to be. The knees don't like to kneel like they used too.

I did the rears in the spring of 2012 after 1 season with the stock air shocks - one season was enough, never could find a "sweet" spot they could never really handle a sudden or sharp impact over bumps and they always seemed to lose just enough air often enough to be a pain.  After some experimenting with the pre-load settings I have the rear premiums dialed in to my liking for both solo and two up riding - turning the knob is easy - and you don't really have to take off the bag if you can get your hand in there. the bike now rarely feels like it "bottoms out" over the medium to big bumps or when the suspension takes a sharp impact like RR tracks or the infamous potholes up here in the northeast. Install was easy, just put the bike on the bike jack, support the rear tire and change the shocks out - oh and remove the air lines. remember if you ever want to use the stock air shocks again DO NOT STORE THEM LAYING HORIZONTALLY!!  the oil in them will leak out and it's not easy to refill them. Mine are hanging from a few nails on the garage wall, just in case they're needed later -- not likely

I left the front alone for the '13 riding season and decided this past spring to install the premium cartridges in the front in order to compliment the premiums in the rear and after some break in time - about 500 miles - I love the way the front end feels, to me it feels planted and firm and tracks true when cornering with none of the "vagueness" of the OE spring/oil settup. The fronts can be a little harsh feeling over sudden slow speed hits - like a big hole in the parking lot exit that you weren't paying attention to because you were busy making sure that cage entering the lot isn't going to take you out. The front end work was done by the dealer because I didn't want to deal with it myself in the garage, especially when I have other bike to ride while they worked on it.

If I could only solve a troublesome little "wiggle" the bike gives me sometimes - first on my list is adjusting the neck bearings, then checking motor mounts...again, perhaps a swing arm bushing upgrade is in the cards. I really can't quite figure out if it's emanating from the front end or if the rear end is trying to help steer???  Although I think it's more of a front end issue as the wiggle is felt primarily in the bars and I think if it were the swingarm or rear motor mount I'd feel it more in the seat...

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the prompt response. Can't believe that the shock costs $50 more then last year. Good thing I've got a 20% off coupon to use this Saturday.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »

My shock and suspension observations.  12inch Harley air shocks on my 09 SERG sucked.  Put the Progressive 944's on.  Very big improvement but now the front end felt like mush.  Did the progressive mono tubes stock height up front, huge improvement. 

Traded the 09 for a 12 SERG.  Stock HD premium low profile 12 shocks.  Not quite as good as the above progressives, but light years ahead of the 12 inch airs.  Front end was better on the 12 SERG stock than on the 09 SERG stock but not as good as the Mono tubes.  Left the suspension stock.  Hind sight should have upgraded it.

Traded the 12 SERG for the 15 SERGU.  Stock 13 air shocks SUCK.  Bike wallowed in the curves, did not feel planted, could not ride it through them like I did on my Skunk.  Talked with every shock vendor at Biketoberfest, some twice.  Ohlin gave the best explanations on how they work, what fixes what symptom or complaint.  Put Ohlin HD 159's on the back, springs for my weight.  Factory rep dialed in the SAG, then he helped me get compression and rebound set right, 13 inch shock that can be adjusted in length from about 12.5 to 13.25  mine are set at 13. 

Best shocks I have rode on to date!  Bike is planted in the curves, no wallowing or loose back end.  Handles better than my 12 SERG did, which my complain with this bike was it did not handle.  These are not cheap, but worth the money I feel.  Thinking about doing the front now.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »

Dave when I rode my uncle's 14 SGS the first thing I noticed was how much better the front end felt. I'm going to do the hd cartridges in my front forks on my 12

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

Dave when I rode my uncle's 14 SGS the first thing I noticed was how much better the front end felt. I'm going to do the hd cartridges in my front forks on my 12

Front end on the 14 /15 is much better than the 13 and earlier. That said, the Progressive mono tubes on my 09 SERG were better than the front on this 15

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

... After some experimenting with the pre-load settings I have the rear premiums dialed in to my liking for both solo and two up riding - turning the knob is easy - and you don't really have to take off the bag if you can get your hand in there. ...

The dealer was having a 20% off sale today so I finally ordered a pair of adjustable shocks. How accurate did you find the chart for setting the pre-load settings; or, did you measure for the sag with a ruler?

In Memory of Chappy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

The dealer was having a 20% off sale today so I finally ordered a pair of adjustable shocks. How accurate did you find the chart for setting the pre-load settings; or, did you measure for the sag with a ruler?
I used the chart provided with the shocks as a starting point and eventually found the setting I liked. I ended up subtracting two clicks from the recommended setting for both solo and two up riding. I didn't do any precise sag measurements, just went with the settings that felt best for ride and handling.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

Absolutely love the improvement the HD dual cartridges made on the 13 SE Ultra. At first was not as impressed as I ended up being. As has been previously stated it takes a little break in time after 500 or so miles I feel in love with them. Having them installed on the 14 SE limited I just purchased. So now I'm trying to decide on the rear shocks. Between the Bitubo 330's and the HD premiums waiting on a Quote from Traxxion Dynamics on the Bitubo's. When I can get the front end to my liking for $800ish it's hard for me justify $1,500 for the rear. But I do want rears that will play well with the front.  :drummer:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

red ben59

Look at the Ohlin HD 159, they are just under 1000 dollars.  They are much better than the HD preimums in my opinion, I have a bike with each currently.  Seriously looking at getting another set of the Ohlins. 

I have also had progressive 994's and these Ohlins are much better. 

They are very adjustable.

911Shark

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »

I'm going with  the Ohlins HD159's, where is the best place/price to purchase?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »

Great information, above.  Thanks all, especially Ed / FlaHeatWave and Dave.  I had the Progressive Monotube and 12" Suspension Technologies on the SERG3 and loved them but could see that some might find them harsh.  The front of my '15 Road Glide Ultra seems very good but not great. The air shocks will have to go in favor of HD adjustables Ed described or Suspension Technologies 13".  I'm too cheap to spend more than that on a HOG.   :coolblue: 

BTW,  I'm sure most of you know this already but no one mentioned it so... there is only a 9/16th" ride height difference between a 12" and 13" shock ride height due to the angle of the shocks from vertical.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »

I have Suspension Technologies on my 2010 non-CVO Street Glide and I dearly love them. I have the HD premium shocks on my 2012 SERG and I have no issue with them. I have to crank them down a bit tight when I ride 2 up, but they're fine solo.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »

Great information, above.  Thanks all, especially Ed / FlaHeatWave and Dave.  I had the Progressive Monotube and 12" Suspension Technologies on the SERG3 and loved them but could see that some might find them harsh.  The front of my '15 Road Glide Ultra seems very good but not great. The air shocks will have to go in favor of HD adjustables Ed described or Suspension Technologies 13".  I'm too cheap to spend more than that on a HOG.   :coolblue: 

BTW,  I'm sure most of you know this already but no one mentioned it so... there is only a 9/16th" ride height difference between a 12" and 13" shock ride height due to the angle of the shocks from vertical.

The front on the 15 SERGU is better than the front on my 13 SERK and better than the front on my 12 SERG was.

I hated this 15 SERGU the first time I rode it in the curves, the rear felt loose and like it would wash out.  Had planned to put 12" on it vice the 13"  Ohlin rep convinced me that the 13 was a better choice.  Said the bike was designed for it, as were the bikes I had with 12" were designed for the 13".  He went on to say turn in would be better, lean angle would be better, and it had more travel, so less likely to bottom out.

These Ohlins HD159 are great, and the bike now handles better than my 09 SERG did with progressive mono tubes up front and 944s in the back, better than my 12 SERG did, which like my current 13 SERK has 12 hd premium low hand adjustable shocks and stock front.

Thing I like about the Ohlin rear, they are rebuildable for 250 dollars.  They will not go with the bike when its traded.  I also like I can soften them up for ridding interstate, and then back firmer for the curves with out a tool.

I am seriously looking at adding them to my SERK, or the ones with remote as I am keeping the 110th anniversary bike, as I have a 100th also.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

I want to test drive Dave's bike!    :huepfenjump3: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »

I want to test drive Dave's bike!    :huepfenjump3:

Come east, and you can, on a warm day!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:21 PM »

My Ohlins #6 arrived today, getting them installed on Thursday. Will post results.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »

No one on here seems to know about Race Tech. Excellent shocks and fork kits. Made in USA. http://www.racetech.com/
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »

Wonder if anyone will be selling ohlins at bike week in daytona. I have progressive 444's HD and I still feel like it bottoms out on dips. I am going to try some 159's if I can find a installer to set them up for me.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »

Wonder if anyone will be selling ohlins at bike week in daytona. I have progressive 444's HD and I still feel like it bottoms out on dips. I am going to try some 159's if I can find a installer to set them up for me.

Ohlins had a transporter at Destination Daytona during Biketoberfest 14.

I believe Howard (Motorcycle Metal) was there (one of the best in the business!)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:42:13 PM by FlaHeatWave »

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »

I just got off the phone with Howard and he is building me shocks now.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

I'm 275, "The Ball & Chain" is around a buck and a quarter. 2-up >95% of the time.

70% of the time, the Chopped TourPak and bags are loaded for our "Sport Touring" excursions.

She gets 1 bag, I get the other and the TourPak is community property. We have the TourPak packed so that we can stuff our jackets in it, if it is too hot to wear them.

'Got her carrying the tools in her bag, since her clothes are 1/5 the size of mine 'he 'he :nixweiss: 

When I was shopping suspension, I spoke with Progressive and they told me that a lot of people get their heavy duty stuff and are dissatisfied with it.

Here's what is in the '09 SERG

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/premium-double-cartridge-fork-kit

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hand-adjustable-rear-shocks (12" std. on '09 SERG)

'Did the shocks first, then the forks a little while (3k) later, it seemed like it took the forks around 500 miles or so to "settle in" and I adjusted the shocks a little firmer ( a rotation or two ) 2 times, hit the sweet spot and the bike rides fine solo / empty too...

I believe my Tech said that he used a little heavier fork oil when installing the fork cartridges, I think 15 wt instead of 10wt oil. He also mentioned that the fork oil should be changed at 50k on the forks. 

'Been fortunate to own / ride some tricked out bikes (street and dirt) over the years, I am impressed with this set-up. A smooth supple ride, not overly firm, the tires always feel like they're in contact with the road, brake dive is next to nil, not bouncy, no shudder, hold an easy line on those high speed Western Sweepers or the tight twisties, and when they do bottom out (not very often) it's a cushioned thud, not driving your tailbone through your neck...

To me, very well mannered all the way around :2vrolijk_21:

PS:
I did have the GlidePro Bushings installed in the '09 (mostly because I got free labor) while the drivetrain was being Built this past winter, (already had around 15k on the F&R suspension upgrades) the bike was down for 6 months, so it's hardly fair to say how much impact the GlidePros have on the handling of the new frame (the GPs along with the Commander IIs turned the '05 SEEG handling into a sport bike!) On the '09 the GPs and probably, the S&S .0005 (installed w/Timkin) Crank really smoothed out the vibration in the seat, bars, & footboards. I would do the GPs again...   

Dan, you might try upgrading the forks first with your 440s and play with the adjustments on the 440s, and see if y'all can find a sweet spot, if not the shocks are easy to change out...
Im the same way but the tour pak is mostly hers and if sometimes I find a few things in my saddle bag :huepfenlol2:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »

Ohlins had a transporter at Destination Daytona during Biketoberfest 14.

I believe Howard (Motorcycle Metal) was there (one of the best in the business!)

I know that's a fact, as they put theHD-159 on my bike.

I had looked at them at the Racetrack location first.  Vendor there, sales guy could not explain why I would want one model over the other, or the difference between Progressive, Works and so on.  He was not good at covering the benefits of adjusting compression or rebound.

Just casually talking to the guy at the Destination daytona factory truck, he went into great detail about compression, rebound, setting shocks, and why you would want different settings on the same bike.  Really new his product, and never bashed the competitors. 

Love the shocks

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »

I just got off the phone with Howard and he is building me shocks now.

You're going to love them!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.673 seconds with 21 queries.