Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Which Rear Shock???????  (Read 27636 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Re: Which Rear Shock???????
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

Not sure what happened but I could grab the handle bars, give them a push down and bottom out the monotubes, and they rebounded slow, so I virtually didn't have much shock absorption going on. The Indy that did the install said they looked bad.
Supershooter

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

Installed the Progressive 999's this past week. This morning I left early (to beat the heat) and give them a try. This was my first time up since May 8th when I began replacing both knees, I was looking forward to the ride.  In order to give the shocks and my settings a good test I headed up some country roads toward Sebring.  There are a few roads that way that are bumpy and have some old RR crossings that would provide the feedback I was looking for. I left the house with the springs turned down one full turn from full off (the factory setting). The bike seemed pretty solid until I hit the "washboards", there was too much "swim" and I pulled over.  I turned the adjustment rings another full turn (now two down from none) and turned around and rode the same slab. MUCH better, solid, smooth, full control without the "slippage" and no jarring. I am pleased with the 999's and my solo setting, next I need to tune in a two up setting.

This was a good improvement, surprisingly good in fact. I'm not one for hyperbole, but just because I'm not reporting a "shock-gasm" doesn't mean I'm not impressed. If you have it in the budget, this is a really good mod, and (here comes the hype) I now consider this a "must have" modification for any touring rider. Regardless of the manufacturer you choose, I believe you will find this a vast improvement over stock.

OWL

1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

I have this setup in mine and I'm very happy with it.  Especially considering the somewhat moderate cost for a large improvement in the way the bike handles.

In regards to the HD Premium Rear Shocks....

Did you do both at the same time? I am thinking of doing the rears first then maybe the fronts later.

What improvements have you experienced over the stock air shocks?

How long have you had them?

It looks like an easy install. I like the idea of only having to remove the left bag to adjust preload when needed. Getting older is not what it's cracked up to be. The knees don't like to kneel like they used too.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

In regards to the HD Premium Rear Shocks....

Did you do both at the same time? I am thinking of doing the rears first then maybe the fronts later.

What improvements have you experienced over the stock air shocks?

How long have you had them?

It looks like an easy install. I like the idea of only having to remove the left bag to adjust preload when needed. Getting older is not what it's cracked up to be. The knees don't like to kneel like they used too.

I did the rears in the spring of 2012 after 1 season with the stock air shocks - one season was enough, never could find a "sweet" spot they could never really handle a sudden or sharp impact over bumps and they always seemed to lose just enough air often enough to be a pain.  After some experimenting with the pre-load settings I have the rear premiums dialed in to my liking for both solo and two up riding - turning the knob is easy - and you don't really have to take off the bag if you can get your hand in there. the bike now rarely feels like it "bottoms out" over the medium to big bumps or when the suspension takes a sharp impact like RR tracks or the infamous potholes up here in the northeast. Install was easy, just put the bike on the bike jack, support the rear tire and change the shocks out - oh and remove the air lines. remember if you ever want to use the stock air shocks again DO NOT STORE THEM LAYING HORIZONTALLY!!  the oil in them will leak out and it's not easy to refill them. Mine are hanging from a few nails on the garage wall, just in case they're needed later -- not likely

I left the front alone for the '13 riding season and decided this past spring to install the premium cartridges in the front in order to compliment the premiums in the rear and after some break in time - about 500 miles - I love the way the front end feels, to me it feels planted and firm and tracks true when cornering with none of the "vagueness" of the OE spring/oil settup. The fronts can be a little harsh feeling over sudden slow speed hits - like a big hole in the parking lot exit that you weren't paying attention to because you were busy making sure that cage entering the lot isn't going to take you out. The front end work was done by the dealer because I didn't want to deal with it myself in the garage, especially when I have other bike to ride while they worked on it.

If I could only solve a troublesome little "wiggle" the bike gives me sometimes - first on my list is adjusting the neck bearings, then checking motor mounts...again, perhaps a swing arm bushing upgrade is in the cards. I really can't quite figure out if it's emanating from the front end or if the rear end is trying to help steer???  Although I think it's more of a front end issue as the wiggle is felt primarily in the bars and I think if it were the swingarm or rear motor mount I'd feel it more in the seat...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the prompt response. Can't believe that the shock costs $50 more then last year. Good thing I've got a 20% off coupon to use this Saturday.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »

My shock and suspension observations.  12inch Harley air shocks on my 09 SERG sucked.  Put the Progressive 944's on.  Very big improvement but now the front end felt like mush.  Did the progressive mono tubes stock height up front, huge improvement. 

Traded the 09 for a 12 SERG.  Stock HD premium low profile 12 shocks.  Not quite as good as the above progressives, but light years ahead of the 12 inch airs.  Front end was better on the 12 SERG stock than on the 09 SERG stock but not as good as the Mono tubes.  Left the suspension stock.  Hind sight should have upgraded it.

Traded the 12 SERG for the 15 SERGU.  Stock 13 air shocks SUCK.  Bike wallowed in the curves, did not feel planted, could not ride it through them like I did on my Skunk.  Talked with every shock vendor at Biketoberfest, some twice.  Ohlin gave the best explanations on how they work, what fixes what symptom or complaint.  Put Ohlin HD 159's on the back, springs for my weight.  Factory rep dialed in the SAG, then he helped me get compression and rebound set right, 13 inch shock that can be adjusted in length from about 12.5 to 13.25  mine are set at 13. 

Best shocks I have rode on to date!  Bike is planted in the curves, no wallowing or loose back end.  Handles better than my 12 SERG did, which my complain with this bike was it did not handle.  These are not cheap, but worth the money I feel.  Thinking about doing the front now.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »

Dave when I rode my uncle's 14 SGS the first thing I noticed was how much better the front end felt. I'm going to do the hd cartridges in my front forks on my 12

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »

Dave when I rode my uncle's 14 SGS the first thing I noticed was how much better the front end felt. I'm going to do the hd cartridges in my front forks on my 12

Front end on the 14 /15 is much better than the 13 and earlier. That said, the Progressive mono tubes on my 09 SERG were better than the front on this 15

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

... After some experimenting with the pre-load settings I have the rear premiums dialed in to my liking for both solo and two up riding - turning the knob is easy - and you don't really have to take off the bag if you can get your hand in there. ...

The dealer was having a 20% off sale today so I finally ordered a pair of adjustable shocks. How accurate did you find the chart for setting the pre-load settings; or, did you measure for the sag with a ruler?

In Memory of Chappy

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

The dealer was having a 20% off sale today so I finally ordered a pair of adjustable shocks. How accurate did you find the chart for setting the pre-load settings; or, did you measure for the sag with a ruler?
I used the chart provided with the shocks as a starting point and eventually found the setting I liked. I ended up subtracting two clicks from the recommended setting for both solo and two up riding. I didn't do any precise sag measurements, just went with the settings that felt best for ride and handling.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »

Absolutely love the improvement the HD dual cartridges made on the 13 SE Ultra. At first was not as impressed as I ended up being. As has been previously stated it takes a little break in time after 500 or so miles I feel in love with them. Having them installed on the 14 SE limited I just purchased. So now I'm trying to decide on the rear shocks. Between the Bitubo 330's and the HD premiums waiting on a Quote from Traxxion Dynamics on the Bitubo's. When I can get the front end to my liking for $800ish it's hard for me justify $1,500 for the rear. But I do want rears that will play well with the front.  :drummer:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

red ben59

Look at the Ohlin HD 159, they are just under 1000 dollars.  They are much better than the HD preimums in my opinion, I have a bike with each currently.  Seriously looking at getting another set of the Ohlins. 

I have also had progressive 994's and these Ohlins are much better. 

They are very adjustable.

911Shark

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »

I'm going with  the Ohlins HD159's, where is the best place/price to purchase?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »

Great information, above.  Thanks all, especially Ed / FlaHeatWave and Dave.  I had the Progressive Monotube and 12" Suspension Technologies on the SERG3 and loved them but could see that some might find them harsh.  The front of my '15 Road Glide Ultra seems very good but not great. The air shocks will have to go in favor of HD adjustables Ed described or Suspension Technologies 13".  I'm too cheap to spend more than that on a HOG.   :coolblue: 

BTW,  I'm sure most of you know this already but no one mentioned it so... there is only a 9/16th" ride height difference between a 12" and 13" shock ride height due to the angle of the shocks from vertical.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »

I have Suspension Technologies on my 2010 non-CVO Street Glide and I dearly love them. I have the HD premium shocks on my 2012 SERG and I have no issue with them. I have to crank them down a bit tight when I ride 2 up, but they're fine solo.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.