Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Moving the tour pack .  (Read 15663 times)

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
Moving the tour pack .
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »

Hi all , I have currently this ultra , the tour pack is on it's forward position .
My question is ....can the box be moved to its rearward position  without needing any additional parts .

Ie , just with hand tools .

Pic @ Thunder in the Glens group ride to Grantown on Spey Aug.14
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: Moving the tour pack .
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

Not unless you have a tourpak relocator kit. Harley makes them and there is also the George Anderson one.
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »

There are 2 positions that the tourpack can be placed in using the factory mount. If yours is in the forwardmost position - then yes it can be unbolted and moved to the second ( furthest back ) spot.  If it's already in the rearward mounting spot then you will need a relocator kit. I used the one from George Anderson which is an excellent quality piece.

I purchased mine here: http://www.tourpaks.com/Relocator-for-the-HD-Tour-Pak_c17.htm

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

or, if your tourpak is in the rearmost position, and it isn't far enough back for you, but you only need just a tiny bit (like maybe an inch), you can do what i did.  drill 4 new holes in the tourpak rack.  in my case though, my tourpak is used in the solo position and i needed moved just a little bit more forward.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »

There are 2 positions that the tourpack can be placed in using the factory mount. If yours is in the forwardmost position - then yes it can be unbolted and moved to the second ( furthest back ) spot.  If it's already in the rearward mounting spot then you will need a relocator kit. I used the one from George Anderson which is an excellent quality piece.

I purchased mine here: http://www.tourpaks.com/Relocator-for-the-HD-Tour-Pak_c17.htm
Thank you it is in the forwardmost position , dealer didn't understand what I wanted ?? Another DIY job I think .

Shakinoaks

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Yes, you can.  I moved mine back exactly two inches. It only required drilling two more holes and re-bolting it with the same hardware. Made it permanently more comfortable for my wife.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »

Hi all , I have currently this ultra , the tour pack is on it's forward position .
My question is ....can the box be moved to its rearward position  without needing any additional parts .

Ie , just with hand tools .

Pic @ Thunder in the Glens group ride to Grantown on Spey Aug.14

Yes.  Four bolts and nuts, not sure what size.  If you remove the Tour Pak liner and look at the bottom of the box, there should be four bolts and eight holes.  If the bolts are in the rear holes, the T-P is in the forward position.  Have someone help you hold the T-P so it doesn't fall, remove the four nuts from under the rack, remove the bolts, reinsert them into the front holes and then through the holes in the rack, and reinstall and tighten the nuts.  If you need more adjustment than that, I'd recommend the George Anderson relocator plate, and not just drilling more holes in the box and reinforcement.

Strange that yours is in the forward position.  I know that Harley changed the domestic shipping crates back in 2009 so that they no longer had to ship the bikes with the T-P in the forward position.  Maybe yours is different because it was an export model?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »

Thanks all fir your comments .

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

Thanks all fir your comments .

Were you able to accomplish the relocation of the tourpak??
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »

As the bike was due a service anyway I had the dealer take a look . Looking from inside the tour pack there are four holes , the bolts are in the holes nearest to the seat . Dealer says no way it can be moved .
But there is not enough room for a BSR between the rider backrest & the back seat pad !

Still does nt seem right to me ? Never had this before 4x ultras & 1x RG ultra .

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »

As the bike was due a service anyway I had the dealer take a look . Looking from inside the tour pack there are four holes , the bolts are in the holes nearest to the seat . Dealer says no way it can be moved .
But there is not enough room for a BSR between the rider backrest & the back seat pad !

Still does nt seem right to me ? Never had this before 4x ultras & 1x RG ultra .

Note the portion of your post I highlighted.

It's in the furthest back position the factory mount will allow... Time for the George Anderson relocator mount I mentioned in an earlier post, That will allow your BSR the additional space they need.

HarleyGuy

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »

A question for someone who has moved the tour pack on an Ultra--CVO/SE:

I have a '13 model and I would like to purchase and install the Kuryakyn "Adjustable" Relocation Kit.

Is there enough slack in the cable(s) for the antenna's, power amp, etc. to move the tour pack 3" (or so) towards the rear of the bike?

I purchased a Saddleman bag that is designed to sit between the rider's back rest and the tour pack but I'll probably only use it a few times per season and I need the extra space but I'd like to be able to reposition the tour pack when I don't need the extra space.

I have plenty of time to get this done as our riding season (especially for long trips) is pretty much over.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »

Is there enough slack in the cable(s) for the antenna's, power amp, etc. to move the tour pack 3" (or so) towards the rear of the bike?

Can't say with certainty on the Kury version - never worked with one, but I think this can be done. I installed the Anderson re-locator, 2.5" back and it worked okay - probably could have done 3 inches based on that experience. Only issue I had was the antennae wire - had to release the hold down and re-route. Kury makes an infill pad for their version - it's a half-moon shape that covers the gap between seat and backrest if it bothers anyone to see the gap.

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

Thanks all for your advice , waiting for time to investigate further HD says it can't move !

They ain't always right ,my riders backrest won't fit anything after 08 , really it's on my 12 !

Paulsmerc

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2010 Fatbob & 2005 Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:58 AM »

If you fancy a ride down to Bridgwater, Somerset I will have a look for you.

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »

DesertHog is selling a used George Anderson Tour-Pak Relocation Kit at a greatly reduced price in the Selling forum (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=98153.0). 

I have one on my bike and my BSR loves the added space it provides.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 08:28:48 PM »

Will this fit on a '15 CVO RGU?  I don't have it yet, I take delivery next month but I'm curious.  I may need one of these.

steve.link

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2019 FLHTKSE
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »

I used the Kuryaken relocator. It has 3 positions - 1", 2" or 3" back.

I moved mine baCk 2 inches - no problems wIth the wiring and it took about 30 minutes. The relocator costs about £105 in the UK

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »

Thanks again , school hols soon i ll get time to strip it down.

HarleyGuy

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:03 PM »

Finally got around to taking my bike in to the dealer a few weeks to have a few things taken care of before the riding season sneaks up on us. 8)

I had them install the Kuryakyn adjustable tour pack bracket.
I didn't take a real good look at it but the S/M told me that the amp harness needs to be disconnected in order to access the RH speed lock to move the tour pack and then re-connected afterwards.

Not a big issue. I'm just happy that the T/P can be moved when needed.

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »

FYI,

I just put one of these Kury relocators on my bike and the cam-lock just barely clears the stock amp connector without having to disconnect it.  I believe it moves back the full 3 inches, with me making some slack making by pushing the left side larger cable bundle through the grommet in the TP. 
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »

Try the Kuryakyn relocation kit for 1/2 the price. You have 3 location options compared to the 2 with the other brand...I installed it in just minutes on my 2013 CVO Ultra... Much needed space.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.