Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are your turn signals allways illuminated?  (Read 5301 times)

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
Are your turn signals allways illuminated?
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:24 AM »

I've never actually noticed, but my local dealer tells me that its normal for my front turn signals allways to be illuminated when ever the ignition is on , then obviously flash when turning.

Is this correct? can some of you please check for me?

My bike has recently had some wiring work done, and i never noticed the amber signals on before the work was done.

mamacdonald

• my cvo
Re: Are your turn signals allways illuminated?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:13:44 AM »

Normal

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 2021 FXLRS
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »

It is NOT normal for an Australia bike. Just checked mine (Aust delivered not an import) and mine don't stay on like your photo.

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »

PS who was the dealer?

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »

My lights are always on as well. If you ever change your bars ortake of tank it's easy to make them only illuminate when your turning by cutting the purple wire.
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »

So i believe Twism, is that wire purple or blue? Have just run the tank down to reserve in anticipation of taking off the tank, seing as the local Dealer - Frasers in Newcastle, couldnt be bothered calling me or for that matter taking the initiative and doing it themselves.

You know, after al that, they chucked out my mirrors as well! There come back is, "well how long can we keep stuff, look at the sign - we keep parts two weeks". I was actually over your way having fun in Sturgis, to busy to go get them. Thinking they would call before chucking them. :soapbox:

Imoo, not sure how Frasers go in Sydney, but i wont be going back to the Newcastle shop. Their rep is warranted, customer service 0.  ps i bought my bike in Salem, OR. So its wired slighly differently to yours (so i have now found out).

Thanks for the repies guys. ;)

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »

Hey Segle,

As the others have suggested, it is only normal for those lights to be on for the USA Models, not for the International Model bikes (including Australia).

There is a very easy way to solve your problem though and it does not involve taking of the tank or removing any wires.

Take your seat off and go to the fuse box behind where the Battery is located towards your rear guard. You will find a fuse in there that is just for those lights in the turn signals. It is on the back left side of the fuse box when facing the back of the bike. Take that fuse out and the lights will not work anymore, but your turn signals work as per normal.

I am away from home for several weeks otherwise I would have included a photo for you.  If you get stuck, let me know and I can send you a photo in a few weeks time.

Best regards..

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

Fraser's in Sydney seem to be pretty good - both in the Service and Parts areas. I must admit I have not heard great reports about the Newcastle shop.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »

The front indicators/blinkers on a US domestic spec Harleys have twin filament globes ( bulbs )

At night an orange glow is always visible , not so in the daytime Australian sun as it's only 5watt

"Aussie" bikes have single filament globes from the factory. An Australian design rules requirement

At "compliancing" , a used US bike arriving in Australia has to have the "daytime running lights" negated. Most places just push back a male connector at a junction under the tank and leave the twin filament globes in place. Other cut and tape wires ( brutal if you ask me !)

On my 2008 CVO Springer , ex-Texas . the "running lights" are still on and working , and i like it , looks different and well " very USA " if you like.

When I needed a new front indicator globe , i had to source one from the locaL HD dealer , who had a box of amber twin filament globes from Kits they get for clear lens conversions etc. They just GAVE me 2 , quite good of them ! That's Frasers Perth
No illegitimi carborundum

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:34 AM »

Fraser's in Sydney seem to be pretty good - both in the Service and Parts areas. I must admit I have not heard great reports about the Newcastle shop.

You are so right, thats the best way to resolve that. Easy done, that 15A fuse is labelled "Lights". Thank you, way better than removing the tank.

I have been to Frasers on Parramatta Rd, they are light years in front of Newcastle, and the new Central Coast Harley is very good. Excellent customer service, thats first hand and from pretty much everyone i have spoken two about the place. Thats where i'll be going from now on.

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »

Agree re the great service from the Central Coast Harley - I live at Carlingford and it is an easy 45 minutes ride up the road. They are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble - also have a very good range.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

At "compliancing" , a used US bike arriving in Australia has to have the "daytime running lights" negated. Most places just push back a male connector at a junction under the tank and leave the twin filament globes in place. Other cut and tape wires ( brutal if you ask me !)

seems odd that something that gives you greater visibility would be cause for them to find you in 'non-compliance'   :-\
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 04:20:24 AM »

I quite agree , visibility is king when cage deivers are looking at/past you !

That's why my US spec " running lights" are still functional here in Western Australia

I think the reasons for the rule here is " no amber lights to be displayed to the front or rear , other than intended directional signals "

I still like 'em !
No illegitimi carborundum

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

Here in the US it is normal for the front turn signals to be illuminated when the bike is running.  If you check the bulb, you will see that there are two bulb filaments. One that stays on constantly and one that only lights when the turn signal switch is activated. 
Jesus is Lord

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.