Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Belt drive to chain drive conversion question  (Read 3876 times)

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
Belt drive to chain drive conversion question
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:42:18 AM »

does anyone have any info on that , read a lot info on changing 32 tooth pulley to a 30 t. but too much involved .... so thought chain would be easy option.
tnx for any info.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
Re: Belt drive to chain drive conversion question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:57:33 AM »

If a chain isnt needed due to increase in power that would assert converting it, I would not advise going to a chain. You can change the gearing in the primary and or by changing the rear pulley also if its simply the labor that concerns you. More than 1 way to skin a cat, so to speak.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

JohnCA58

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »

I can tell you piecing it together is cheaper than buy a kit from either 3 Guyz or Zipper.   as far as gearing choices go to Big Boyz calculator for what you might want to run,   I am using PBI front 23 sprocket and PBI 55 tooth rear steel sprocket with a Baker OD6 spd.  it gives me 3.68 gearing in 5th with 3.17 OD gearing,  the Chain is a EK zzz 530     myself I would not change a thing,  it works great in town and touring,  this is with a 120 engine. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »

There are pros and cons to the conversion. I cannot say that one is better than the other. Myself like a chain but then I like to launch a 800 lbs boat at the drag strip. Chains are messy and need constant attention compared to a belt.  DO the math on the parts and see what way cost less . Then look at at both side of the coin and make a choice.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »

It's more work to change over to a chain that to install a new front pulley for your belt, besides getting the offsets correct on the front and rear sprockets on the chain drive can be a challenge I just converted mine to a chain as with my 127" motor my belt would slip didn't matter how tight I ran it, now the chain is on the tire just spins.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

What I thought is maybe chain is cheaper conversion. Talked to a dealer and he said around $1000 labor and parts to put a 30 tooth pulley and modify rear swing arm. Saw this conversion that Fullsac did but I don't have tools for pulley to change or a welder to weld swing arm plus there is need to grind swing arm... just trying to figure best and cheap way..
tnx guys.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »

the labor to go to chain is about the same as to change the belt.. wash

chain is easier to deal with but requires lots of dealing with.

you can change a chain out without taking the primary off - however all the chain manufacturers want new sprockets with the new chain just like the hd manual says new pulleys with a new belt

so thats a wash too.

for a nearly stock bike the only reason to do a chain is to make folks think the engine is giant even if its not.

to

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »

the labor to go to chain is about the same as to change the belt.. wash

chain is easier to deal with but requires lots of dealing with.

you can change a chain out without taking the primary off - however all the chain manufacturers want new sprockets with the new chain just like the hd manual says new pulleys with a new belt

so thats a wash too.

for a nearly stock bike the only reason to do a chain is to make folks think the engine is giant even if its not.

to
Problem with this mode is that HD doesn't make belt shorter (2 tooth on sprocket) and aftermarket all of them broke sooner or later. So FullSac figured this mode , went to 30 T pulley and ground swing arm .2'' (don't remember exactly just to give you idea) so he can use stock HD belt .... And I don't have 1K to give to dealer to do this for me it is way expensive I think, but if someone can do it for him self is well worth , you got quicker bike from hole and more usable 6 gear ...Why is everything so expensive :(

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.