Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Sunday non-funday  (Read 9584 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Sunday non-funday
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

Glad your going to be ok. You very lucky.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »

If you lock the rear tire don't let up the brake. You will most likely higside 9 times out of 10. That's a big no-no. Ride it locked to a stop.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »

Just to add another comment, drinking any alcohol and operate a motorcycle is in my book not cool. I also don't think it is wise to post on an Internet forum that you rect your MC after drinking alcohol. Pretty sure the insurance company would decline any claims if they read it.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »

Just to add another comment, drinking any alcohol and operate a motorcycle is in my book not cool. I also don't think it is wise to post on an Internet forum that you rect your MC after drinking alcohol. Pretty sure the insurance company would decline any claims if they read it.

Excellent point!  :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Sunday non-funday
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »

I didn't wanna bring it up; I am certainly glad you're OK... But it seems that you implied that it's common practice for you and your buds to ride a bit and then stop at a rest stop or similar, each of you has a beer and then y'all go ride some more. Apologies if I got that wrong but that's how I read it.
I do NOT want to come off like I'm something special because I'm not. However, I'm not riding with your group. Ever.

*buzzed* riding is impaired riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:51:06 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

King2013

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

I didn't wanna bring it up; I am certainly glad you're OK... But it seems that you implied that it's common practice for you and your buds to ride a bit and then stop at a rest stop or similar, each of you has a beer and then y'all go ride some more. Apologies if I got that wrong but that's how I read it.
I do NOT want to come off like I'm something special because I'm not. However, I'm not riding with your group. Ever.

*buzzed* riding is impaired riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In lite of trying not to preach I rewrote my post however,
I will maintain I'm not a fan of the drinking and riding, not even 1 drink.
Good luck and heal quickly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:40:46 PM by King2013 »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »

Not supporting having a beer & riding, but one thing Doubletap doesn't need is a lecture about what he did wrong.......I think he knows that. BTW: I didn't read where he invited any of us to come ride with his group  :drink:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »

I don't drink, at all, having said that, I'm sure he and several others can have a beer or even 2 over a certain stretch of time responsibly. Looks like he knows he made some riding mistakes and I don't think it sounds like drinking was the culprit. Just my opinion.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »

He actually states he has locked the rear up several times before and had no problem. If anything riding style/habits may need to be changed. Sort of like lessons learned or even a riders course. Everyone can use them from time to time.   I know I certainly can.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »

First and foremost, glad you're ok.

But I'm curious about what happened.  You mentioned you locked the rear brake several times.  What were you doing with the front brake at the time?

Reason I ask is that it takes a fair amount of force to lock up the rear brake on a Touring bike.  If you were really trying to bleed off speed into a corner, the front brake not only works better, but is much safer.

Not lecturing, just trying to get a feel for what happened.
The best you've had is the best you know.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

I think you've heard a lot of good advice, etc & realize where you messed up. so I'm just gonna say "I'm glad you walked away from it". Don't know where you are spiritually, but I would be on my knees, thanking the Lord Jesus Christ. you are & have been blessed. heal fast.

RIDE SAFE!!!  BE CAREFUL!!!                        GOD BLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Doubletap

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and well wishes. I regret ever saying that alcohol was consumed because I know some are absolutely against that. And I respect that 100%. However, that in now way contributed to the accident. That being said, I apologize for offending anyone or starting a ruckus over that issue. As for locking up the read brake, it was a stupid mistake and, yes, I was using the front brake as well. As a matter of fact I use the front almost exclusively. But recently I had been trying to use the rear more often for certain situations, more experimenting than anything else I guess. In this case I was obviously using the rear and ended up applying it too aggressively. Between the first lockup and the second (final) I was on the front brake. I think I just got too aggressive with the rear and lost it. Looking back I see several things that I could have done better. Taking the warning from the floorboard scrape is one thing that I should have done. To me that usually means slow down, this time I didn't slow down enough. Lessons learned. And I'm still here.
2005 FLHTCUSE2 custom blue paint, SE-259 cams, Vance and Hines duals, Rinehart mufflers, Stage 2 air kit, Dynojet tuner, Progressive 940 Ultra shocks, Bad Dad bags and rear fender, more to come

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »

Glad you are ok and thanks for sharing this story....I feel we all can learn from this.

Do you think if your bike had ABS you would have been able to negotiate the turn with a different out come?

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »

Praying for a speedy recovery and praising God your around to talk and learn from your crash. :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock:

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »

Well let me say this. If you had ONE beer it did contribute to it.

Besides that your riding skills is fundamentally way off. If you have to ask what and if you don't understand what happened to you. (I am not bashing you, sorry if it looks like I do. I am just giving it to you straight.)

Get some real good training. Not the MSF crap. One great place to start is The Midwest motorcycle training facility that Doug Wolfe run. Take that class and you will start to understand what is needed. (Doug is a 29 years police Sargent motor officer that is a no nonsense  trainer) you WILL be 100% better just after the first class. (Don't waste time on the Paladino classes)

Anyone that thinks that drinking ONE beer and riding is okay is way off
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.