Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replaced belt  (Read 1821 times)

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
Replaced belt
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »

Had a new drive belt installed, after ripping the teeth off mine. Had a local dealer install it and check my compensator also. Was told compensator was good and the damage to the belt was cause by it being loose. Belt spun on the sprokets. The bad part is another local dealer had just installed the rear tire for me, bit don't have any way to prove it.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Replaced belt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

Have you talked to the shop that installed the tire? They might step up......without that gotta be a recoerd, unless you paid cash & dumped the receipe. Good luck
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:28 PM »

I had a rear tire replaced on a trip last year at Ashville.  When I got back home from the trip I check my belt and it was way too loose had about 2" up and down play in it.  The rear axle nut was tight so I guess I got lucky that no damage was done to the belt...

Another one of my Thursday night riding buddies that I ride with at our meeting spot I notice that his bottom cap of the front axle, only one nut was holding the dangling cap on and the other nut had fallen off.  He said that he just got his bike back from the shop from having a new tire put on. The shops just don't care just get them back on the road and charge big money for this crappy work!

I ALWAYS check my bike now after the shop works on it!!!!!   :soapbox: :soapbox:
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:08:44 PM »

I've got all the records from that visit. Going to try to go talk to them tomorrow. They were closed today.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »

The school of hard knocks has taught many of us over the years that when dealing with the supposed "professional technicians" at a dealership it behooves us to thoroughly inspect their work before accepting it.  Welcome to the class of 2014.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »

The school of hard knocks has taught many of us over the years that when dealing with the supposed "professional technicians" at a dealership it behooves us to thoroughly inspect their work before accepting it.  Welcome to the class of 2014.

Jerry
Jerry, having worked in the auto industry did you find similar levels of incompetence with auto techs?  Or is this something unique to the motorcycle universe?  I too have had many poor experiences with work done by dealership techs and know of many others among my friends. Maybe it is just baked into the DNA because it is widespread. And that is the frightening part!  If it were just a few dealerships you could avoid them. But as it is not I absolutely cringe when I have to take a bike in for work if any kind.

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.