Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil fired Hot water heater needs replacing  (Read 7125 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Oil fired Hot water heater needs replacing
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:28:35 PM »

Well, there goes my Zippers 575 Cams, D&D Fatcats, related accessories and dynotuning...

$1750 to replace an oil fired 30 Gallon hot water heater...

Dam...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Oil fired Hot water heater needs replacing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 03:23:45 AM »

Well, there goes my Zippers 575 Cams, D&D Fatcats, related accessories and dynotuning...

Dam...
:'(  We feel your pain.  Sorry.  Just replaced our clothes dryer, shy of $1,000 to find out the electrician who put our electrical panel in two years ago, just did not tighten up one wire.  He came in, pulled out something tightened it back up and rolled out saying the charge was on him, since it was his failure to tighten everything up.................... But I already have the new dryer and the old one is hauled away.  Argh!  

The good news is "I love this new dryer."   And I bet, you will love the new hot water heater.  Things Do Get better over time.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:24:06 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 07:01:03 AM »

Yeah, I do like hot showers...

:'(  We feel your pain.  .......And I bet, you will love the new hot water heater.  Things Do Get better over time.   ;)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:55:35 AM »

[highlight]$1750 to replace an oil fired 30 Gallon hot water heater...[/highlight]

Dam...

If I lived a little closer I would hook you up Bill. Damn the prices up there are a bit higher than down here. HVACwise that is.

Sorry to here about it I really wish I could help you out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »

I really am considering changing to an Electric one...I would need to bring 220 down to the location but for $300 plus installation cost it would be cheaper...especially since it is just the two of us in the house.

/Bill

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 08:59:41 AM »

I really am considering changing to an Electric one...I would need to bring 220 down to the location but for $300 plus installation cost it would be cheaper...especially since it is just the two of us in the house.

/Bill

NOt sure about the electricity costs back there but wouldn't a new efficient electric water heater be way less to operate too?

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »

Dam...

WFP

Electric water heater is 94% effecient. Take into consideration the cost for installation and the payback time for the added cost.

Oil fired water heater is 98% effecient. You will not have the added cost of running the 12/2 wire and 25 amp breaker.

In the long run it is more ffecient to keep the oil fired water heater with only  2 people using it.

ps, life of an electric water heater is 7 years compared to 30 for a oil fired water heater.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:20:38 AM »

WFP

Electric water heater is 94% effecient. Take into consideration the cost for installation and the payback time for the added cost.

Oil fired water heater is 98% effecient. You will not have the added cost of running the 12/2 wire and 25 amp breaker.

In the long run it is more ffecient to keep the oil fired water heater with only  2 people using it.

ps, [highlight]life of an electric water heater is 7 years[/highlight] compared to 30 for a oil fired water heater.

Have one that's 15 years old.  Just replaced the top element last week.  Should be good for several more.  Actually...six months would be just fine as I'm selling the house.   ;)

hogasm

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »

That life expectancy is an average from the supply house here. Must take into consideration location, water quality etc...  Here the air is corrosive, close to the ocean, and the water is high in TDS which collect in the bottom of the tanks and rot them out.

15 years is great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]   like you said 6 months and who cares

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:41:01 AM »

WFP

ps, life of an electric water heater is 7 years compared to 30 for a oil fired water heater.

Been watching this thread, and another high-efficiency alternative is a Flash water, or on-demand heater.  No storage tank, no hot water sitting around getting cold. Plus they're the size of a suitcase.  The electric units are limited in how much they can produce, but it may be worth investigating.

Cheers!

Chief

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

I actually wish I could easily add one of the Flash heaters upstairs for the Hot Water in our Master Bath.  that is where the need is greatest.  Sisnce I didn't build the house, I don't know the exact pipe locations and whether there is a single feed up to the master bath...With WP Tub, Shower and Sinks on three different walls.

Leaning towards replacing with the oil fired variety...but 30 years????  Mine is 10 years old and starting to fail.  The one quoted only has a 5 year warrantee...

/Bill

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »

Been watching this thread, and another high-efficiency alternative is a Flash water, or [highlight]on-demand heater[/highlight].  No storage tank, no hot water sitting around getting cold. Plus they're the size of a suitcase.  The electric units are limited in how much they can produce, but it may be worth investigating.

Cheers!

Chief

The effeciency of an on demand is only 80%  wholesale cost of a Rinnai 2532FFUC is $1370 plus installation. Has 10 year warranty on heat exchanger and 5 years on parts.

For 2 people the extra cost will never be made up, either for the natural gas or propane gas unit.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.