Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?  (Read 17611 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

Call me old fashioned (though I prefer "old school") but I disdain GPS on my bike.  I like to know where I'm going rather than have some electronic voice tell me where to go.  I've had some great laughs disagreeing with companions whose GPS was telling them to go against street signs, down a dirt road to find a gas station, or even to ride south when we could see our destination to the east.   When traveling, I enjoy reading the map, either paper or on line, ahead of time.  Yes, you can still get paper maps.   AAA gives them out for free.    ;)   

So,  today I see this story from Milwaukee:  GPS mix up leads semi-truck to become stuck on bike path.  See the link for a video.    :huepfenlol2:    Following his GPS, a truck driver drove his rig over a walkway and it got stuck on a footbridge...  in broad daylight!  

Here's another example of a professional trucker getting stuck for following GPS: 

So, my somewhat tongue-in-cheek question is, "Just how much do you rely on your GPS?   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Re: How Far Do You Follow Your GPS?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »

They are handy Greg, but blind obedience to them isn't the answer.  If it is a relatively straightforward route I trust it, but if there are tricky pickups (like in the mountains) I markup a map and check it out on Google Earth if I have the time. As always, local knowledge is best so when possible, I'll ask other riders when I stop for fuel or a meal.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

Before AK Andy got a gps he:
Led a group through a grade school out door picnic table area
Led a group to the wrong State
Led a group 1/2 mile through a field

Not quit as exciting following him now that he uses a GPS   :nervous:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »

Yeah Greg, but just think of all the great people we met who stopped to help us out with 3 gallons of gas.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

I think I would enjoy riding with AK !
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

When we want to go on a trip I plan ahead by reviewing PAPER maps ahead of time and then using GOOGLE maps or TYRE to plan out a route and load it into the GPS.

If we want to go on an adventure I'll follow the GPS's directions......especially in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine where there are many "seasonal" roads (which is a fancy name for unmaintained dirt roads) - of course some of them make for excellent short cuts - except during a rain storm, or immediately after one when your trying to get to your destination...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »

I always use a map (Harley road atlas )  in combination with a gps but never trust it blindly .
also  getting threw a large strange city , ETA , elevation and distance to next gas station are very handy  ::)

also is there a new Harley road atlas to ever come out ?
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

I always use a map (Harley road atlas )  in combination with a gps but never trust it blindly .
also  getting threw a large strange city , ETA , elevation and distance to next gas station are very handy  ::)

also is there a new Harley road atlas to ever come out ?

If your a member of HOG they send one out every year, at least they have so far....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »

GPS' are for direction challenged people. Having said that, I have used one a few times in the truck when delivering Edible Arrangements. I like maps and study road atlases before I travel on the bike, no GPS on the bike. I do have a Navigation App on my phone.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »

GPS' are for direction challenged people. Having said that, I have used one a few times in the truck when delivering Edible Arrangements. I like maps and study road atlases before I travel on the bike, no GPS on the bike. I do have a Navigation App on my phone.
Mike
 :drink:
Are those of the liquid kind? :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

Last winter up here in the north, I towed 2 cars off 2 different snowmobile trails. The trails are at the end of what we call a class 6 road in NH. They are roads that are on the maps but in the winter they are not maintained or passable by car or truck. They turn into snowmobile trails. Both of these folks used their GPS units to navigate and weren't bright enough to see that it was going to end bad!!! One guy had a subaru all wheel drive wagon and made it almost a mile in before he went no further!!! Gotta love those GPS'.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

mark

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »

I rely on my GPS on planned trips by plotting the ride on the HD ride planner.  It's much easier than trying to recall each turn or writing them down on your arm, taping paper to your console, etc.  Technology, embrace it.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »

Traveling on interstates and larger highways, road signs and a compas will do. Running a few dozen different two lane back roads in a day I use my GPS. A roll chart would suffice too for those that remember or have done back woods racing, but you have to keep re setting your trip odo.  ;D

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »

I use the GPS (iPhone) quite a bit when traveling. Didn't use any paper maps on our big trip last year, or the last 5-6 years for that matter.

The GPS is a great navigation tool, not a substitute for common sense...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:54:16 AM »

This is my second bike with gps that I turned off, also had an '09 Silverado with it and never used that either. I'm old school and like it that way, gps is technology I could care less about and never will. I bought my bike to get lost on and don't care to hear some idiotic voice interrupting my tunes.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.