Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Does anyone know what these parts are?  (Read 5804 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Does anyone know what these parts are?
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »

These parts came out of the inside of my clutch lever today.  How?  I noticed the pin starting to come out today and one friend was trying to fit a retaining ring to it when another friend said "Let's pull the pin out" and did it before I could react and stop him.  Anyway, putting it back together these are the pieces that didn't survive.  The curved piece was attached to the little rolling pin like piece that appears to act as a plunger to pressurize the clutch hose.  I don't know if it's supposed to limit it's turn or what it does.  The other small black plastic piece looks like it broke off with part of it probably still remaining inside there somewhere.  There's a hole in the center of it, so I assume it fits onto some sort of rod in there that controls something.

At first, I thought that maybe it was what controls shutting down the cruise control by pulling in the clutch, but that still works.  I can't find anything yet that doesn't work properly.  The clutch itself seems to work fine.  Does anybody know what these are and if I am looking forward to problems coming soon.  Sorry, but this is the best I could get with photos. That piece is pretty small.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Does anyone know what these parts are?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

Here is the parts breakdown drawing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:08:56 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »

that doesn't look like the correct parts drawing for a 2012 FLHTCUSE7.  See the following online micro fiche instead:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=886&b=22&c=0&d=-CLUTCH-LEVER-ASSEMBLY

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:24 AM »

I already looked at this and piece #22 is what the one piece looks like that the little McDonald's like arch broke off of.  Nothing else looks remotely like the setup on my 2012 FLHTCUSE7.  The exploded page that I looked at before was the one for my bike and I still can't figure how either piece functions, much less which pieces they actually are.  I did figure that they are both part of the lever assembly and not available as separate pieces.  That much I could tell from the page for my bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:33 AM »

Dave, my best guess it's part of the bushing and roller.  I think it's the little plastic two ended wire tie type thingie (forgive the overly technical description there) that helps guide and hold the little roller.  Just checked and it's a kit part number of 46246-01 if that's it.  $18 for a pair of tiny little parts.  See if this parts breakdown looks right (check part # 19)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »

that doesn't look like the correct parts drawing for a 2012 FLHTCUSE7.  See the following online micro fiche instead:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=886&b=22&c=0&d=-CLUTCH-LEVER-ASSEMBLY

That 's the one I looked at and the one part I can identify on there, but it doesn't show the arch on it.  The other is still a mystery and I still don't know what they do.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »

My guess is that you are correct.  On the page I looked at before, part #19 wasn't available separately.  Thanks.  I'd still like to know if I'm going to have a problem with it the way it is, but I think I'll order that and hopefully that will be what I need.  Thanks again.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »

Twolane...where is that exploded view from?  The two others I looked at didn't have that part listed separately.  Thanks Don.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »

My guess is that you are correct.  On the page I looked at before, part #19 wasn't available separately.  Thanks.  I'd still like to know if I'm going to have a problem with it the way it is, but I think I'll order that and hopefully that will be what I need.  Thanks again.

The older bikes with the prior clutch master cylinder used the same roller and plastic thingie.  Have messed with a couple that had the plastic thingie break but on neither did the roller come out.  It's been long enough that I've dealt with a broken one that I can't remember if I was concerned or not that it might come out (since I can't remember it being a worry it probably wasn't).  But I do know of two that ran for awhile with that broke and they never gave a problem.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »

The older bikes with the prior clutch master cylinder used the same roller and plastic thingie.  Have messed with a couple that had the plastic thingie break but on neither did the roller come out.  It's been long enough that I've dealt with a broken one that I can't remember if I was concerned or not that it might come out (since I can't remember it being a worry it probably wasn't).  But I do know of two that ran for awhile with that broke and they never gave a problem.

Thanks.  It's working for now and I guess I have all winter to put it back together the right way.  Today may have been the last of the good riding days in these parts.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »

Twolane...where is that exploded view from?  The two others I looked at didn't have that part listed separately.  Thanks Don.

You have to be pickie about the years you choose to view the breakdowns from.  At time of publication for different models Mother Harley was changing her mind on what was serviceable and to what extent.  So some years the master cylinders are shown broken down with service parts and in some years they're not.  Same with the clutch lever. 

From messing with one before I remembered that roller and plastic thingie was the same all the way back to 2001.  But on yours if you check the parts manuals for a bike one year newer than yours you'll find the breakdown I posted with the extra part numbers.  So a year later than yours Mother Harley decided to sell it all differently again... (oy vey).

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »

You have to be pickie about the years you choose to view the breakdowns from.  At time of publication for different models Mother Harley was changing her mind on what was serviceable and to what extent.  So some years the master cylinders are shown broken down with service parts and in some years they're not.  Same with the clutch lever. 

From messing with one before I remembered that roller and plastic thingie was the same all the way back to 2001.  But on yours if you check the parts manuals for a bike one year newer than yours you'll find the breakdown I posted with the extra part numbers.  So a year later than yours Mother Harley decided to sell it all differently again... (oy vey).

I see that now.  They show it as serviceable in 2013 but not 2012.  That helps.  I'll get it ordered.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »

Thanks Don. Now I know why I couldn't find the part. Man your right there are a ton of parts drawings out there.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »

It looks like a broken tyrap to me but maybe if the photo was a bit more of a close up.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »

You guys are causing me to become confused again.  The roller is supposed to contact the plunger rod of the master cylinder, and similar to how a roller rocker arm works it should reduce side loading of the rod as the lever is functioned as well as protect the rubber grommet that seals the end of the plunger to the actual master cylinder casting.  If the roller falls out, I would expect a big enough difference in feel and actual operation to be quite noticeable since there is nothing to press on the plunger once the roller falls out except the metal that holds the roller.  That would add extra play in the system, and would probably tear up the rubber grommet in no time.  If I read the first post correctly, you're saying the clutch still works without the roller?  I'm not sure how that could be, but there again I've never tried it.  Or is the roller still in there and just the little bushings that are attached by the "springy looking" plastic strap are missing?  Anywho, I'd suggest inspecting the rubber grommet carefully for damage. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:12:14 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.