Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Does anyone know what these parts are?  (Read 5803 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Does anyone know what these parts are?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »

grc posted exactly what I was going to post. I also don't understand how there's no noticeable change in feel or effort.

and a secondary point: Those friends of yours...keep them AWAY from your bike!
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »

You guys are causing me to become confused again.  The roller is supposed to contact the plunger rod of the master cylinder, and similar to how a roller rocker arm works it should reduce side loading of the rod as the lever is functioned as well as protect the rubber grommet that seals the end of the plunger to the actual master cylinder casting.  If the roller falls out, I would expect a big enough difference in feel and actual operation to be quite noticeable since there is nothing to press on the plunger once the roller falls out except the metal that holds the roller.  That would add extra play in the system, and would probably tear up the rubber grommet in no time.  If I read the first post correctly, you're saying the clutch still works without the roller?  I'm not sure how that could be, but there again I've never tried it.  Or is the roller still in there and just the little bushings that are attached by the "springy looking" plastic strap are missing?  Anywho, I'd suggest inspecting the rubber grommet carefully for damage. 

Jerry

Jerry, the couple of times I've dealt with this the roller stayed in place after the plastic broke.  It is my (admittedly vague) recollection that the plastic piece was there more for assistance in assembly?  Could definitely be mistaken there as it's been years since I had reason to deal with that issue and even then it wasn't a pressing problem.  The roller did stay in place after breakage of the plastic though.  Twice in my experience.  That much I am sure of.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »

Jerry, the couple of times I've dealt with this the roller stayed in place after the plastic broke.  It is my (admittedly vague) recollection that the plastic piece was there more for assistance in assembly?  Could definitely be mistaken there as it's been years since I had reason to deal with that issue and even then it wasn't a pressing problem.  The roller did stay in place after breakage of the plastic though.  Twice in my experience.  That much I am sure of.

I think you're right Don, the little strap is probably superfluous once the two bushings attached to it are installed on the roller and inserted into the lever.  That photo that was posted wasn't clear enough to be able to tell if the piece over to the right was one of the bushings or not, but if the bushing is broken or missing it would be a very good idea to replace the bushings and roller soon, IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

yes the roller is still in there but the other pieces are what's broken out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.