Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Exhaust SS vs Mild steel  (Read 18475 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Exhaust SS vs Mild steel
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »

Funny you should mention that!
I had a similar chat with another vendor yesterday about just that sort of "he said, she said" "my product is better than yours".

For those wishing to do a little research about SS vs Mild Steel, you can read, draw your own conclusions about what will work better for YOUR application. Cost vs performance, looks, weight, etc etc.
What do  you think most race teams use? Remember, they are not concerned about longevity.

Just as a reference, and NOT to promote anyone's product, my mild steel header has been on my baggers since '09.
I take the header off when I get a new bike because it works (proven on a dyno) and lasts. Same with my mufflers. I LIKE my setup and DO put lots of miles on my baggers.

I HAVE chatted with Steve C. in the past and found him to be very knowledge about his products. Most of our conversation was over my head (remember, he is the engineer type! LOL) and he is very protective about his product and industry and, like some of us, has those "buttons" that some people like to push.
Yes, he is getting more mellow in his old age IMHO! LOL

As to the OP, do your research, ask around make an educated decision and live with it.

JMHO, as usual.
Rain passed, time to go for a ride to try my NEW TTS map! 8)
HOGMIKE

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »

Very well said Twolanerider!!!
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

Exhaust SS vs Mild Steel?

Does it make any difference in the ambient temp?

No it doesn't...but the ceramic coating could.

This is what I have gotten out of this thread.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

Well I keep getting PM's for the pictures so here they are for all to see and as kbryant stated, let them speak for themselves. The first ones are a members on the site here. I miss quoted the mileage on them before. I had stated they had about 2500 miles on them but the real number is less than 1500 miles, as he corrected me on that. If he wishes to speak about them he can. This is a FuelMoto Stainless Steel coated set and has been tuned properly.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 06:04:01 PM »

Close up of the Rust on these FuelMoto Stainless Steel pipes

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »

Here is another customers FuelMoto pipes but these are the steel version. This bike was tuned by FuelMoto and all parts were purchased directly from FuelMoto. They had been on the bike for one riding season at this point.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »

Close up of one area of the same pipe

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »

This last photo is of my pipe here with good coating done to it. As I said before, I spent more on the coating than the cost of the pipe. This pipe has been off and on more than 30 times doing camshaft swaps and developing tunes with it and has about 8000 miles on it! It's only steel and is about 3 years old at this point.

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »

WAY too many naive cool-aid  :drink: on these forums.  Yeah yeah, I know it's true, it's on the internet.  :soapbox:

if some of you guys only knew half the facts/stories behind vendors getting screwed by other vendors you'd think twice about doing business with them.  Or if you've got no ethics / morals, then it wont bother you but I refuse to be one of those people.  And yes I get that you go where the $ takes you.  Morals and Ethics come first in my book and I'll spend extra $ to make sure I deal with people that actually possess those qualities.

Ethics - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethics?s=t

Morals - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moral
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:48:54 PM by UltraNutZ »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »

Well that leaves me out in the cold   :huepfenjump3:

Hope the wifey is feeling better

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »

I think it would be nice if a rebuttal from Jamie would be allowed.  I have used Jamie's exhaust with good results and without issue.  Haven't seen anything out of the norm on the coating "issue" as the fullsacs do that at the heat shield area also.  If the guy had a problem about it then did he contact Jamie about it or?  The pipes work great.

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »

interesting.. Jamie's response was there along with pics.. now it's gone..      ???

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »

interesting.. Jamie's response was there along with pics.. now it's gone..      ???
Weird

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »

Nothing weird about it at all... If any vendor wants to promote, discuss their products they have to offer the required vendor discount which is explained in the "Rules of Posting" which can be found in the FAQ section of the board or by clicking HERE... Once that is done they are allowed to speak regarding their products.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »

I don't think there is anything wrong with the pipe itself but I have seen the coating flake off just like the two pictures posted. Crap, there's still some of the coating flakes under my lift.

Was said, before it was removed, the coating has to be...  "very high quality and durable, the integrity of the coating can be affected by many factors including the tune, installation, even the break in procedure specified for the coating, however like any finish the coatings are not completely indestructible for every possible scenario."

....So, could someone teach me how to break in a coated head pipe please? I've installed dozens and dozens and have never had a problem. Just thinking about this... "tune could be a factor" but don't people who have a FM head pipe normally have their tune by FM with one of those calibration files they send out? Lastly, installation an issue? Hummmm... well, if you say so but I truly don't quite agree with that statement either.

Anyway. I don't have a FM pipe so I don't have a dog in this fight. I have a Fullsac and the coating seems to be just fine even after having mine installed on two bikes since 2009 when Fullsac invented the collector design. I would bet a shiny dime that most of the head pipes installed by members on this forum are Fullsac.

OK, again... could someone please teach me the break in procedure when installing a coated pipe. Thanks

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.