Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: S+S 625 gear drive cams  (Read 4817 times)

02stroker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
S+S 625 gear drive cams
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:56:49 AM »

I was thinking about installing these cams in my '02 103 anyone else running them or have any comments?  Thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: S+S 625 gear drive cams
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:04:39 AM »

I was thinking about installing these cams in my '02 103 anyone else running them or have any comments?  Thanks

Did you have the 103 added to the 02? These came with a 95". If so and if you changed the heads or had them reworked you'll need to verify what lift they can handle.  I do not believe the stock 95" head an handle the .625 lift.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »

Did you have the 103 added to the 02? These came with a 95". If so and if you changed the heads or had them reworked you'll need to verify what lift they can handle.  I[highlight] do not believe the stock 95" head an handle the .625 lift.
[/highlight]

That is correct. What other mods have been done to this engine? If it is a stock 103. Did you do the 103 upgrade (from original 88)

We need some more info.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

02stroker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:59:26 AM »

Yes I did the 103 kit.  I have the SE performance heads.  I know that I will have to change the valve springs to handle the .625 lift.  I also have a 50mm throttle body with matching intake, SE roller rockers and tappets, RB 2-1 exhaust,  and the 10.5:1 pistons.  Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »

02Stroker,

I have one sitting in my cabinet that was in my 05 SEEG.   Hated it in the 103" and loved it in the 124" motor.  

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

02stroker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »

Unbalanced,
I assume your talking about the cams?  Why did you hate them?  I just ordered them yesterday-CRAP!  Thanks

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »

02stroker,
  You can probably cancel, or change your order.  I believe that's too much cam for that motor.  JMO.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »

02stroker,

Well the 625 cam in the 103 comes in later even with 11.0 or greater compression.  The bike was an flhtcse 05 so it was heavy and needed the torque low end to get it running.   If you like running 3500 plus where the power really shines mid 4k range and up then its the cam for you.
Running a dresser all day at 3500 and up all day just wasnt happening for me.
Personally I want to twist the throttle and have the power on the ground not wait for the buildup.

My 2 suggestions for you would be the following based on what you have posted thus far for your build.   Make sure your rocker boxes get clearanced even if your replacement springs handle the lift changes.

If you want the low end and are willing to go to 10.5 ~ 11.0 then run the Andrews 60g it will be stump pulling power and will pull like a freight train all the way through.  

If you plan on staying S&S you can also get really nice numbers out of the 585 cam at 10.5 to 1.

I would not consider the Andrews 55g, as I  also have one on the shelf due to over compression.  The 55g cam happens to like 9.5 to 10.0 compression.   It pulled great only problem was detonation with the extra compression.  

If you want more info's just pm me and I will send you a pm back with my cell number.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »

Quote,
"Gonna Sit Back and Watch for a While take care."

I guess that's over with.
 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Didn't think it would last very long.
WB Harry  ;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »

Quote,
[highlight]"Gonna Sit Back and Watch for a While take care."[/highlight]
I guess that's over with.
 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Didn't think it would last very long.
WB Harry  ;D

Chip thats some funny CHIT!!!!!!

02STROKER actually the 625 will work well with your set up if you like RAW TOP END POWER. You do need a few changes though. Springs, compression releases and shave your heads to raise static compression. It will work and make a lot of power but most of it on top end.

If you want a good running bagger I have done a few 95 and 103 builds usuing the S&S 570 cams. You may also want to look at Zippers Red Shift TC657. Since you are using a 50mm throttle body if you use the 657's they will have Map for the Thunder Max ECM for your build.

Hope this helps.

BTW you won't need to PM me for my cell number. Most of us will tell it like it is right here on the site. After all that what this site is here for.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »

Chip and Mikey glad I didn't disappoint either one of you, Happy New Year !!   [smiley=drink.gif]

Chippy I will be disappointing you, it is end of year for me at work.  I had a bit of spare time and jumped on and was just helping a guy that no one else had posted an answer to his original question to help him out.   But since you and Dawg are now on it I figure he is well taken care of.  

Dawg since you have done/installed this combination could you post a dyno sheet from the combination that you have/had, I am sure that 02stroker would really like to see where that "raw power" kicks in and how the graph looked under WOT?  

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »

Chip and Mikey glad I didn't disappoint either one of you, Happy New Year !!   [smiley=drink.gif]

Chippy I will be disappointing you, it is end of year for me at work.  I had a bit of spare time and jumped on and was just helping a guy that no one else had posted an answer to his original question to help him out.   But since you and Dawg are now on it I figure he is well taken care of.  

[highlight]Dawg since you have done/installed this combination could you post a dyno sheet from the combination that you have/had,[/highlight] I am sure that 02stroker would really like to see where that "raw power" kicks in and how the graph looked under WOT?  

Harry if I saved every dyno sheet for every build I have done it would be a very thick book. I don't save dyno sheets on any build I do being a customers or mine.

Happy New Year Harry you know we are just playing.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:18:43 PM »

Chip thats some funny CHIT!!!!!!

02STROKER actually the 625 will work well with your set up [highlight]if you like RAW TOP END POWER.[/highlight] You do need a few changes though. Springs, compression releases and shave your heads to raise static compression. It will work and make a lot of power but most of it on top end.

If you want a good running bagger I have done a few 95 and 103 builds usuing the S&S 570 cams. You may also want to look at Zippers Red Shift TC657. Since you are using a 50mm throttle body if you use the 657's they will have Map for the Thunder Max ECM for your build.

Hope this helps.

BTW you won't need to PM me for my cell number. Most of us will tell it like it is right here on the site. After all that what this site is here for.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I'm lost here Dawg, isn't that what Harry said. [highlight]It will work.[/highlight] I believe that he said that he did not like the setup in a bagger, having to run the thing at 3500 rpm's and up.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »

I'm lost here Dawg, isn't that what Harry said. [highlight]It will work.[/highlight] I believe that he said that he did not like the setup in a bagger, having to run the thing at 3500 rpm's and up.

Yeah Brian

They are both saying the same thing.
Dawg is just offering a few more options based on experience for 02stroker.

Did you ever change those cams in the 124?
I was impressed with it at M/V with the 650's.
What did you do about your clutch?
I have the 650's going in the 120 and expect loads of torque.
If that doesn't feel good enough then I'm putting the "Fatboy" :( on a diet.
If that don't work I'm buying some "Glare" for less wind resistance.

As you know it's not the individual parts, it the combination!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:56:16 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »

Chip. Changed the clutch plates which made a world of difference. It is temporary just waiting to install the Riverra pro clutch.

Borrowed a 53mm throttle body and horsepower stayed the same, torque increased 7 ft lb on 1 run and 10 ft lbs on another. T-Man sait it had to do with the way the fuel atomized, which caused the increase in torque. I like it much better.

Thinking of changing out the DD6 in my bike to Kathy's bike and installing a Harley 6 speed in mine. That way I can change comp sprocket to a 24 or 23 for more low end. I do alot of towing, heavy towing, 650-700 pounds. The Baker has a 28 tooth comp sprocket and I can't seem to make CS changes work properly with the transmission. Like you said, make the combination of parts work properly together.

Got some Honda glare for christmas, should be worth atleast 5-6 more mph. ;)

Since Crash is moving along so slow, I decided to completely tare down Bessie and make some major changes to her. New body parts, paint, chrome,etc....
Winter project.

ps  Who or what is Fatboy [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:06:35 PM by hogasm »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.