Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight problems  (Read 3719 times)

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
Headlight problems
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:11:15 AM »

I have just burned out the fourth headlight on my 03 SERK over a time period of 15 months and 22,000 miles. I have tried both stock and high intensity lights. The last bulb was aftermarket and only lasted six weeks. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 11:37:24 AM by mackcr »

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Headlight problems
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 04:39:18 PM »

I see that no one has responded to your post.  

I haven't had (or heard of) any particular issues with the '03 SERK's headlight bulbs.  My suggestion would be to have the Voltage Regulator checked.  Seems like if the VReg takes a dump, then voltage spikes might kill the bulb.   [smiley=1syellow1.gif]  Purhaps, the high output charging system of the FLHR coupled with few accessories (and limited current draw) will cause the VReg to work very hard and potentially get hot and fail.

Of course, the other thing to be aware of is the nasty things that bare fingers do to H2 bulbs!!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 08:45:53 PM »

Thanks TB, the dealer replaced the Voltage Regualtor two weeks ago. I'll have to wait and see how long this bulb lasts. So far the range is four months to six weeks.

I'm glad I have the extended warranty!

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:09:36 AM »

I have just burned out the fourth headlight on my 03 SERK over a time period of 15 months and 22,000 miles. I have tried both stock and high intensity lights. The last bulb was aftermarket and only lasted six weeks. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Last year we went through three headlight lamps in 45-4600 miles....dealership parts department/ service department wasn't very helpful in rectifying the problem.  The rather lame answer was that it was just the bulbs that H-D used.

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 01:01:31 AM »

29,000 miles and headlight bulb number 5 just burned out. This last bulb only lasted two months and seven thousand miles. Back to the shop again to have the electrical system checked out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 01:02:14 AM by mackcr »

rasmusmi

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 09:19:30 AM »

Yes, I burned out the stock light, then had the dealer change to the "high performance"light and am now on my second one of those, too. He's checked all the electricals and found no abnormalities, he said. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I'm thinking about switching to their new Halogen clear face light next time, but have added the flat shaped crash bar lights in the meantime as a back-up (nothing quite as exciting as losing your only light when it's pitch black and you're riding in deer country!).

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 06:44:22 PM »

Roadking, have you had any other electrical problems? I do not know if it is related, but I have burned out two sets of heated handgrips. I have heard that a lot of people have had trouble with those. I also had to replace the tach but I believe that failed because of all the water that was in there.

I have found the high intensity lights do not seem to last as long as the stock bulbs. How long did your first two lights last?

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 10:20:41 AM »

I had that same problem on my fat boy. It was the ground in  the headlight bezel it was fine when you tested it, but with the vibration of the motor the ground didn't work and burned the bulbs I went though six bulbs in one summer then fixed the ground and the same bulb is still in the bike two years later. I don't know if it your problem but somthing to check. good luck
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 05:02:48 PM »

Please check the wiring and schematics closely - some of my wires were duplicated.  My halogen fogs were tied into the brights only - that was not the original request. Currently, because I went through the wires individually, I have "one baby blue wire left"... that will be for yanking later on...

For now - I haven't had any further problems with the headlight... problems were building up though -- as the fogs tended to be the thing that ran inconsistently.

I have a feeling that relays are to blame for some reason... might want to check on that, too... might need a NEW one - as I did replace mine just recently as well..

Good luck - it's a pain riding and finding out what you're left with - in the dark --

...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 05:08:20 PM »

Please check the wiring and schematics closely - some of my wires were duplicated.  My halogen fogs were tied into the brights only - that was not the original request. Currently, because I went through the wires individually, I have "one baby blue wire left"... that will be for yanking later on...

For now - I haven't had any further problems with the headlight... problems were building up though -- as the fogs tended to be the thing that ran inconsistently.

I have a feeling that relays are to blame for some reason... might want to check on that, too... might need a NEW one - as I did replace mine just recently as well..

Good luck - it's a pain riding and finding out what you're left with - in the dark --

Marg,
The wiring redundancy is for the wiring loom that was designed for the standard Road King with the passing lamps....and is why there are double (blue) wires.  You may want to investigate this a little further before "yanking".....((possible damage to the insulation on adjoining wires)...although it is kind of nice to have a replacement for something that is already known to fail on you bike.  If you do decide to disable this wiring, refer to the electrical manual that you have, and just disconnect it (the blue wire(s) at the source.  If I'm not mistaken the color codes are identified in that manual.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:09:47 PM by mfgreen »

mfgreen

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 06:09:45 PM »

on Today at 4:21pm, flhrsei-2_for_sale wrote:
Cool your jets, Mike.

Remember the add on multiple relay pack that was ordered to handle the accessories. Louie ended up with that. I'm not about to pack on any add'l things and wreck the electrical supply.

The band aid that we are given is the "kit" we can purchase when setting up the bike. It involves a series of relays. Thus, keeping a set point available for troubleshooting. If that's not used, and others chose to splice into a main wire without a relay, they are asking for trouble.

Marg,

You are correct about the wiring of the fog lamps.  Initially when they were set up, they (the fog lamps) were able to be operated on both, low and high beam.  We also inquired of the parts and service department (Louie) as to whether or not a higher amperaqge alternator was recommended for the additional accessories and we were told that it was absolutely not necessary.

If memory serves me correctly the "relay" pack that you are referring to was not used by Louie for the lights....he said it was not necessary and returned to stock.  In addition to that, two other "kits" were for the heated vests and heated gloves. It appeared to me that the "relay pack kit" to which you refer was nothing more than a "plug and play" splitter for the light circuit which you returned to the dealer.

Meaning of ELECTRICAL RELAY
WordNet Dictionary

Definition:             [n]  electrical device such that current flowing through it in one circuit can switch on and off a current in a second circuit

During the first oil change in the shop....the headlamp had to be replaced and it was said to me by Louie and his brother who worked on your bike that there was some sort of short in the wiring that they had to repair inside the headlamp housing....also something about a short under the saddle....both of which they claimed to have repaired.

You said that you thought that there was no need for any increased amperage breaker (the 50 amp replacing the 40 amp recall) on your bike when you were notified by me of the recall.... but, you would have it looked into......I am not so sure that it would have helped in this case.  Other than a possible early discovery of the current short... which, when you had it looked into, might have been discovered and kept you out of disaster maintenance mode.  These additional electrical problems coupled with the paint and chrome problems have me believing that this particular bike may qualify under the "lemon law"for a replacement by the motor company.   Lack of attention to quality control has put you.."in the dark".. literally.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 09:57:05 AM by mfgreen »

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 02:37:17 PM »

You have your right to your opinion.

I don't need 50 right now.

In regards to your personal opinion, it's yours...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 02:41:41 PM by flhrsei-2_for_sale »
...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

mfgreen

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 02:45:18 PM »

You have your right to your opinion.

I don't need 50 right now.

In regards to your personal opinion, it's yours...

This is not an opinion, Marg, it is an agreement with you supporting the fact that your bike has defects that recur.  This would qualify it to be replaced or your money refunded under the "lemon law".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 02:46:35 PM by mfgreen »

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.