Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Windshield Options for 07 SERK  (Read 3426 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Windshield Options for 07 SERK
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »

I've been checking out the Clearview site and thought I would ask y'all a few questions about what W/S's you have installed on your bikes.  From what I can determine, the stock, tinted shield doesn't do you much good.  Ok for short trips, but it appears we need something for those long weekend jaunts.

Questions:

1) Does the clearview shield fit on the SERK stock mounts, or do you need to order the standard shield mounts from the Moco?

2) How do you like the recurve?  Can't see the curve from their site, but would like to know your thoughts on how it works and how it looks.

3) What HD shields do you use (if you did not purchase a clearview shield)?

Thanks again.

CBM
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Windshield Options for 07 SERK
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:50:54 AM »

Hey Cobalt, I tried the Harley windshield that is 2" shorter than stock and found it still wasn't adequate for me so I bought the standard, full sized Road King windshield and it works great.
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 12:11:21 PM »

I bought the tall wind shield and love it since I will probably only use the tall one when it is cold which it is in IL now.i like looking through the windshild not over it.
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »

rbmntx,

How tall are you?  I'm just shy of 6'.  I would prefer to look over ths shield, but on my Heritage, I usually end up looking through it. Are you still with the stock seat?

I tend to slouch when riding ;D

Also, did you buy the shield and bracket?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:19:59 PM by Cobaltman »

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

How tall are you?  I'm just shy of 6'.  I would prefer to look over ths shield, but on my Heritage, I usually end up looking through it. Are you still with the stock seat?

I tend to slouch when riding ;D

Also, did you buy the shield and bracket?

The standard RK windshield will work fine for you.  I'm right at 6' and I too found the Heritage Softtail windhield to be right at eye level and very distracting.  With the standard RK windshield I look over it by at least two inches.

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 12:24:33 PM »

And yes, I'm still with the stock seat

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 12:26:47 PM »

I should read your questions more closely before hitting send.  The answer to the other question is yes, I bought the complete windhield assembly.  The frame that comes on the SERK will not fit a standard size RK windshild

(at least I'm getting closer to losing my Newbie status by breaking down my answers to three difference replies :-))

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 12:28:20 PM »

I've been checking out the Clearview site and thought I would ask y'all a few questions about what W/S's you have installed on your bikes.  From what I can determine, the stock, tinted shield doesn't do you much good.  Ok for short trips, but it appears we need something for those long weekend jaunts.

Questions:

1) Does the clearview shield fit on the SERK stock mounts, or do you need to order the standard shield mounts from the Moco?

2) How do you like the recurve?  Can't see the curve from their site, but would like to know your thoughts on how it works and how it looks.

3) What HD shields do you use (if you did not purchase a clearview shield)?

Thanks again.

CBM

Hey CBM, I've never tried Clearview, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I never liked the RK windshields. But I've left them stock anyway. I'm 5-9 and I'm either streching to see over it, or bending to look thru it. I also like a tint but HD is too dark. I've been talking to Clearview and the'll custom-make the shield to your desired height. Give them all your measurements and the'll come up with the right height W/S for you. They also have a nice, Light Grey tint that seems just right. And the recurve seems to allow you to go shorter without giving up protection. I'm gonna try one. Good Luck! ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:28:54 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 12:35:47 PM »

Thanks for the help folks.  

At this point, I'll probably go with the standard RK shield and frame, but I think I'll wait to see who Hoist man likes his clearview set up.  I would like to see a better pic of the light gray tint than the one they have on their website.  Also, a better pic of the w/s curve they discuss.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:36:18 PM by Cobaltman »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 12:42:10 PM »

Thanks for the help folks.  

At this point, I'll probably go with the standard RK shield and frame, but I think I'll wait to see who Hoist man likes his clearview set up.  I would like to see a better pic of the light gray tint than the one they have on their website.  Also, a better pic of the w/s curve they discuss.

If you're using the HD, you'll only need to buy the W/S. The frame/hardware/trim gets transferred to the new W/S. It's my understanding that this is true for the Clearview as well. You're only buying the Lexan, not the whole W/S assembly. ;) Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »

Hoist, I hate to disagree with you and I don't know about Clearview but if you are changing the windshield out for a standard Road King windshield, you will need to buy the complete assembly, i.e., Lexan and frame.  It will fit the existing mounting points but the SERK frame is a totally different size with different mounting hole locations for the plastic.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »

I applied a 17" Tinted Clearview windshield on the wife's 07SERK with French curve. It works great, they have the template for the 7 hole bracket and will bolt up to the SERK bracket.
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 03:57:35 PM »

Also got tired of being blasted by the cold winter winds and decided to add a taller shield for the winter. The stock short SERK shield will go back on for the summer.
I purchased the standard RK shield and full hardware.  Changes out in seconds.  I am 6' tall and the standard is fine.  If i was doing it again, i would probably get the slightly shorter RK shield so I could look over the top. The standard RK shield has my eyes lining up at the top line of the shield - makes me slouch slightly to look through it.
Must say that the taller shield is really making my riding in winter far more enjoyable and was worth the 3 bills i spent.

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 04:05:40 PM »

Hey Rickybobby, we are the same height and the top of standard RK windshield is at your eye level?  Odd, it's at lease two inches below the horizon for me.  Maybe it's all those mashed potatoes and brewskis I have packed in my jeans that lifts me higher.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:28 PM »

Hoist, I hate to disagree with you and I don't know about Clearview but if you are changing the windshield out for a standard Road King windshield, you will need to buy the complete assembly, i.e., Lexan and frame.  It will fit the existing mounting points but the SERK frame is a totally different size with different mounting hole locations for the plastic.

Thanks rbm! I just read this and went nuts trying to decipher p.396 and p.397 and still don't get it. My '03 RK has the 5-hole horiz and (2) 3-hole vert frames. Like most of them. There are some that have 7-hole horiz and (2) 2-hole vertical frames. Apparently like the '07 SERK. Why are there 2 style frames? [smiley=confused5.gif] I'm trying to use the skull trim, 58691-04. Now I'd like to figure out what other parts I need to have a complete second W/S like Rickybobby did. I'll get the taller Clearview Recurve Light Tint made for the new hardware and have 2 complete W/S's (good idea Rickybobby). Thanks for pointing this out rbm. I had no idea, but I'm not surprised they have two patterns. Any PN's for this out there? ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 07:17:45 PM by Hoist »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.