Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Windshield Options for 07 SERK  (Read 3423 times)

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Windshield Options for 07 SERK
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »

Ok, I received my slightly tinted clearview w/recurve last week.  It's standard height 19".  I'm 6' 1 1/2" and will primarlily use the stock seat, although I bought a touring mustang seat to keep my passenger happy on long trips.  I road over 100 miles the other day and still have mixed feelings.  I normally wear a half helment (Nebraska still has the helmet law) but wore my 3/4 helmet because it was cold.  Although I was certainly more protected than with the stock sheild, I could still feel the buffetting on the helmet.  I don't know if it would have hit me in the face or not.  I still look about 2" over the shield (my preference) and think ultimatley I will like it.  It looks nice on the bike.  When you order you need to specify that it's for an 07 SERK that needs the 7 holes.  I also ordered the hadware so I could still use the shorter shield in the summer some.  All the hardware cost about $200 and with the 10% discount the sheild cost about $140.  It's a nice sheild but for those long trips I hope to be able to find someone who can match the paint on our bikes so I can add a Hoppe fairing.  

Of all the CVO's to date, I think we ride the best...IMHO!!!

Jim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »

Thanks rbm! I just read this and went nuts trying to decipher p.396 and p.397 and still don't get it. My '03 RK has the 5-hole horiz and (2) 3-hole vert frames. Like most of them. There are some that have 7-hole horiz and (2) 2-hole vertical frames. Apparently like the '07 SERK. Why are there 2 style frames? [smiley=confused5.gif] I'm trying to use the skull trim, 58691-04. Now I'd like to figure out what other parts I need to have a complete second W/S like Rickybobby did. I'll get the taller Clearview Recurve Light Tint made for the new hardware and have 2 complete W/S's (good idea Rickybobby). Thanks for pointing this out rbm. I had no idea, but I'm not surprised they have two patterns. Any PN's for this out there? ;) Hoist!  8-)

The windshield thing is kinda freaky. Best I could see, one is a windshield (5-hole) and the other's a wind deflector (7-hole). The SERK has a wind deflector. I want to change to a windshield. Sounds like everyone's using the SERK wind deflector hardware for the spare. Anyone know if there's any reason you couldn't use a regular RK windshield on a SERK? If no reason, does anyone have all the windshield trim and hardware PN's? I can use my skull trim that way too! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thanks. ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 07:18:28 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »

Hoist,

I don't have all the part numbers, but my dealership says that any RK w/s will fit the SERK

Jim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »

Hoist,

I don't have all the part numbers, but my dealership says that any RK w/s will fit the SERK

Jim

Thanks man. I'll get the PN's for everything from Zanotti's and be able to use my Skull Trim too! ;D Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »

Here is a summery of my experience with windshields on the SERK, with the stock shield (deflector) I was convinced that it needed to go in the trash with less then two miles on the bike, it channeled so much wind right into the helmet it gave me an instant headache.  My dealer let me borrow a tall Road King windshield (22” model), it worked great, mounted right up to the SERK’s quick disconnect but IMO really detracted from the sleek lines of the bike.  I ordered a 19” tinted Clearview windshield to replace the borrowed tall one, if you go this route make sure you STRESS that it requires the 7 hole pattern.  The shade of tint is very light, I have the red (the fast color) and I think it looks great on it, you fellows that choose the black SERK, the tint would be a no-brainer (IMO).  The recurve is hardly noticeable, you have to look to see it, but as far as functionality it appears to work quite well.  I’m 6’2” and the 19” is well below my eye level and it creates an envelope of complete comfort for me. I rode 219 miles today with temps in the 30’s and if the windshield had a weakness I sure would have noticed it today.  The only thing I cannot attest to is how the Clearview would effect the passenger because I ride solo, I had read somewhere of a complaint that it created such turbulences for the passenger that it was a not so pleasant experience.

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 10:00:56 PM »

Here is a summery of my experience with windshields on the SERK, with the stock shield (deflector) I was convinced that it needed to go in the trash with less then two miles on the bike, it channeled so much wind right into the helmet it gave me an instant headache.  My dealer let me borrow a tall Road King windshield (22” model), it worked great, mounted right up to the SERK’s quick disconnect but IMO really detracted from the sleek lines of the bike.  I ordered a 19” tinted Clearview windshield to replace the borrowed tall one, if you go this route make sure you STRESS that it requires the 7 hole pattern.  The shade of tint is very light, I have the red (the fast color) and I think it looks great on it, you fellows that choose the black SERK, the tint would be a no-brainer (IMO).  The recurve is hardly noticeable, you have to look to see it, but as far as functionality it appears to work quite well.  I’m 6’2” and the 19” is well below my eye level and it creates an envelope of complete comfort for me. I rode 219 miles today with temps in the 30’s and if the windshield had a weakness I sure would have noticed it today.  The only thing I cannot attest to is how the Clearview would effect the passenger because I ride solo, I had read somewhere of a complaint that it created such turbulences for the passenger that it was a not so pleasant experience.

Gregg

Hey Gregg, Thanks for that. I'm 5-9 and Clearview will do an 18". I want the top below my eyes. I want to use the 5-hole hardware. I imagine they make it either way (5-hole or 7-hole) you just have to tell them which one? [smiley=confused5.gif] Hoist!  8-)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »

They will indeed make it either way, if you have the 5-hole hardware on hand I would recommend going that route.  The seven-hole hardware leaves less clearance between the headlight cutout and the cross bracket which results in insufficient space to mount a windshield bag if so desired.

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 02:23:46 PM »

They will indeed make it either way, if you have the 5-hole hardware on hand I would recommend going that route.  The seven-hole hardware leaves less clearance between the headlight cutout and the cross bracket [highlight]which results in insufficient space to mount a windshield bag[/highlight] if so desired.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. That seals it. My windshield bag is an absolute must!. All new, 5-hole hardware it is with the new Clearview W/S! And my Skull trim strip too! ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:24:03 PM by Hoist »

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »

I added a windshield bag to the wifes SERK when the Clearview shield was appiled to the stock bracket. I just drilled additional holes. I think it fits better lower on windshield.
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 07:58:35 AM »

I added a windshield bag to the wifes SERK when the Clearview shield was appiled to the stock bracket. [highlight]I just drilled additional holes[/highlight]. I think it fits better lower on windshield.

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Please expound, what did you drill additional holes in, the windshield?  I have a brand new bag from Fox Creek and I have not figured out a way to mount it yet.

Thanks

Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:14 AM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Please expound, what did you drill additional holes in, the windshield?  I have a brand new bag from Fox Creek and I have not figured out a way to mount it yet.

Thanks

Gregg

The 7-hole that comes with the SERK seems useless. Too short, can't mount a w/s bag. It's good for a spare, I guess. Does anyone have the PN's for the 5-hole parts/hardware required. I'm not looking for a complete w/s assembly (less the Lexan Shield itself) because I'd like to use the Clearview. Just all the rest of the parts required. If replacing the Lexan, this seems to make the most sense. Thanks. ;) Hoist!  8-)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »

The 7-hole that comes with the SERK seems useless. Too short, can't mount a w/s bag. It's good for a spare, I guess. [highlight]Does anyone have the PN's for the 5-hole parts/hardware required[/highlight]. I'm not looking for a complete w/s assembly (less the Lexan Shield itself) because I'd like to use the Clearview. Just all the rest of the parts required. If replacing the Lexan, this seems to make the most sense. Thanks. ;) Hoist!  8-)

I had the parts guy work me up a quote at my dealer for the hardware and unfortunately it come to more than just buying the whole windshield assembly.  I tried to find one on eBay for cheap, possibly off a wrecked one but that was unsuccessful, hopefully your timing will be better or perhaps you can find one by hitting the right swap meet.

Good luck

Gregg

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »

I too tried to snag a good one on ebay without any luck.  Finally bought a new one from one of teh 20% off stores, kept the hardware and sold the plastic on ebay for damn near as much as I paid for the whole thing.  So now I have new hardware on a clearview shield...best of both worlds.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »

I too tried to snag a good one on ebay without any luck.  Finally bought a new one from one of teh 20% off stores, kept the hardware and sold the plastic on ebay for damn near as much as I paid for the whole thing.  So now I have new hardware on a clearview shield...best of both worlds.

Thanks for the info guys. Plan B. HD PN 58325-06 Mid-Low Profile King-Size Detachable Windshield $324.95 List (255.11+freight, Zanotti's). This one might even be the right size. The height seems to be between the standard RK w/s and the low profile RK w/s. If it's still no good, replace the Lexan with the Clearview, as SCRM-R suggests. Seems like a sure way to get all the parts you need, without too much pain! ;) Hoist!  8-)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Plan B. HD PN 58325-06 Mid-Low Profile King-Size Detachable Windshield $324.95 List (255.11+freight, Zanotti's). This one might even be the right size. The height seems to be between the standard RK w/s and the low profile RK w/s. If it's still no good, replace the Lexan with the Clearview, as SCRM-R suggests. Seems like a sure way to get all the parts you need, without too much pain! ;) Hoist!  8-)

One less thing to deal with. I spoke with Zanottis today. SCRM-R is 100% correct. It's a royal PIA to try to get all the PN's and there is no "kit" for a complete W/S assembly less the Lexan. Therefore, it's much easier and probably cheaper (but I didn't bother checking the price for all the parts) to order an entirely new, complete, assembled W/S assembly from the catalog. I ordered the one above. The stock height RK W/S is just a little too tall for me. Who knows? I might even like this W/S! I wish it came tinted though. ;) Hoist!  8-)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.