Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer  (Read 12888 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »

Today is a cold day so I thought I would take time and check out my Bushtec trailer and see if it needed anything prior to using of again.  Much to my surprise the first wheel I pulled the rear bearing was destroyed and the front one felt like it was filled with gravel.  The last time I pulled the trailer was in August and it did not feel strange or act weird at all. So I am getting 4 new bearings locally and have learned a valuable lesson on pre ride checks include trailer bearings too.

Bearings were the ones from Bushtec, #6203 lu. NTN made in Taiwan.  Can buy the same locally for half price and no shipping.

Here is the photo.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

Good job. I usually pull em and grease and inspect every year or 3-4k miles. I have the small 8" wheels on my tent trailer so I have always figured they get some good wear spinning as fast as they do. And I just buy a new set every 5 years and so far no problems since 2000. Glad to see you checked and fixed before you had an issue out on the road. :2vrolijk_21: I thought the Bushtec wheels being so tall that the bearings would see less wear and heat. :nixweiss:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »

Good job. I usually pull em and grease and inspect every year or 3-4k miles. I have the small 8" wheels on my tent trailer so I have always figured they get some good wear spinning as fast as they do. And I just buy a new set every 5 years and so far no problems since 2000. Glad to see you checked and fixed before you had an issue out on the road. :2vrolijk_21: I thought the Bushtec wheels being so tall that the bearings would see less wear and heat. :nixweiss:

I thought the same thing with the tall wheels, that's why I sold my Motovation Engineering trailer and went back to Bushtec.  My wheels are the high dollar polished directionals they sell and aside from crashing me I would have hated to lose one if the other bearing had let loose.  On my last trip I pushed the limit on speed and cringe to think of what could have happened.  May have rethink the whole thing.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »

Can buy the same locally for half price and no shipping.

Here is the photo.

WHOA Jim, can I/we get a link?
Where do you buy your tires?

I was schooled at MV last year. My tires are as old as the trailer.
So new bearings and new tires for me.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »

WHOA Jim, can I/we get a link?
Where do you buy your tires?

I was schooled at MV last year. My tires are as old as the trailer.
So new bearings and new tires for me.

SBB

Bearings come from my local Tractor Supply.  www.tractorsupply.com

On the tires if you want 6 ply its Bushtec only. If you don't mind to go with 4 ply speed rated for 93 mph there is a place in Louisville Kentucky called Motorcycle Super Store they sell a Korean made tire by Shinko for around $32.00 each.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

I highly recommend all Bushtec owners to check wheel bearings frequently, they are inexpensive and small diameter.  The speeds most of us pull at could be deadly if a failure occurs.  I for one an embaressed that I had not checked them before, I know better but I guess was pulled into the fact I never heard anyone complain or mention a failure.  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings. Perhaps there is a higher grade bearing that will interchange with them. What I have found so far is the only difference is price not quality.

Post what you find when you look at yours I'm curious to see if anyone else finds a catrostrophic failure or mine is a fluke.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »

Chains, I think yours is a fluke.  I've pulled a Bushtec since '99 and never had any bearing problems with the two trailers I've had and I've pulled both many '000s of miles.  I had the first trailer from '99 until '07 and sent the wheels to them for new tires and even though the bearings were fine (per me and them) we replaced anyway to go with the new tires.  Ditto on the trailer I got in '07 - new tires (needed) and new bearings even though no problem with them in '13.

The tires are a real bitch to change which is why I shipped the wheels (with old tires on them) to Bushtec.  As you mentioned the only place to get the 6-ply tire is from them.  Their labor to change and the shipping (since I've fairly close) was very reasonable.

BTW I do carry a spare set of wheel bearings and a new inner tube (no spare tire) in the trailer 'just in case.'   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:55:42 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

I sort of figure its a fluke, I have owned a lot of Bushtecs,  6 to date and never had any issues what so ever. I am amazed that with one bearing totally gone, the other kept me from feeling anything strange.

I have a spare tube and will have a spare set of bearings as well.  I also will do a check before heading out. Still can't believe what I found.

I guess the 6 ply tires are the way to go, at least that is what everyone says.  One of the trailers I had did have 4 ply tires on it and they were just fine.  They say that the 6 ply could possibly aid incase of a flat.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »

Never owned a Bushtec, but speaking of trailer tires in general. 4 ply tires would be completly safe for a M/C due to speed & load. 6 ply might be slightly better in case of a flat, but the sidewall are not that much stiffer. For the bearings I would go to a good industrial supply and opt for an American made bearing. And for you Chip, there is a Timken Plant in Cherryville.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/bearings/Pages/default.aspx
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »

Thanks Jimmy , I will see what Motion industries has to say about a US manufacturer.  My feeling is they are so small that most of them are probably made off shore. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:53:00 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »

Would not suprise me at all.........hell, our manufacturing output srinks on a daily basis. Maybe when ISIS takes over they can kick it up a notch. :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »

Chains, I think yours is a fluke.  I've pulled a Bushtec since '99 and never had any bearing problems with the two trailers I've had and I've pulled both many '000s of miles.  I had the first trailer from '99 until '07 and sent the wheels to them for new tires and even though the bearings were fine (per me and them) we replaced anyway to go with the new tires.  Ditto on the trailer I got in '07 - new tires (needed) and new bearings even though no problem with them in '13.

The tires are a real bitch to change which is why I shipped the wheels (with old tires on them) to Bushtec.  As you mentioned the only place to get the 6-ply tire is from them.  Their labor to change and the shipping (since I've fairly close) was very reasonable.

BTW I do carry a spare set of wheel bearings and a new inner tube (no spare tire) in the trailer 'just in case.'   :2vrolijk_21:
That's why, like it only rains when you forget the rain gear :huepfenlol2:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »

Update:

Of the two Bushtec trailers I have and the 6 wheels and tires I checked, I had 5 failed bearings. Only one as bad as the photo I posted.  The two polished aluminum wheels had all 4 bad in different States of failure. I am certain they where10 years old. 

The other wheel bearing that failed was on a 1994 model and I have no idea as to the age of the bearings. I do know all bearings that failed are the same as the ones Bushtec sells. I ended up buying mine at Advanced Auto, they are National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF. Made by or for them in China, could not cross reference to any US supplier.

When you consider the age of the bearings not bad at all, I take complete responsibility for not inspecting them before.

Will definitely jack the trailer up and do periodic pre ride checks prior to heading out with it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:32:50 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »

203-FF made me grin.  That's a very common bearing in the automotive world.  Used as an end bearing in alternators for many applications for years and years.  If they hold up to the heat, belt tension and RPMs of engine environment driving an alternator you'd tend to think the trailer wheel bearing application would be a piece of cake.  Certainly going to check mine now this weekend.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

Chains be sure they are right for our western adventure as we will be carrying precious cargo!

Mike
:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :drink: :drink:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.