Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer  (Read 12889 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »

Today is a cold day so I thought I would take time and check out my Bushtec trailer and see if it needed anything prior to using of again.  Much to my surprise the first wheel I pulled the rear bearing was destroyed and the front one felt like it was filled with gravel.  The last time I pulled the trailer was in August and it did not feel strange or act weird at all. So I am getting 4 new bearings locally and have learned a valuable lesson on pre ride checks include trailer bearings too.

Bearings were the ones from Bushtec, #6203 lu. NTN made in Taiwan.  Can buy the same locally for half price and no shipping.

Here is the photo.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

Good job. I usually pull em and grease and inspect every year or 3-4k miles. I have the small 8" wheels on my tent trailer so I have always figured they get some good wear spinning as fast as they do. And I just buy a new set every 5 years and so far no problems since 2000. Glad to see you checked and fixed before you had an issue out on the road. :2vrolijk_21: I thought the Bushtec wheels being so tall that the bearings would see less wear and heat. :nixweiss:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »

Good job. I usually pull em and grease and inspect every year or 3-4k miles. I have the small 8" wheels on my tent trailer so I have always figured they get some good wear spinning as fast as they do. And I just buy a new set every 5 years and so far no problems since 2000. Glad to see you checked and fixed before you had an issue out on the road. :2vrolijk_21: I thought the Bushtec wheels being so tall that the bearings would see less wear and heat. :nixweiss:

I thought the same thing with the tall wheels, that's why I sold my Motovation Engineering trailer and went back to Bushtec.  My wheels are the high dollar polished directionals they sell and aside from crashing me I would have hated to lose one if the other bearing had let loose.  On my last trip I pushed the limit on speed and cringe to think of what could have happened.  May have rethink the whole thing.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »

Can buy the same locally for half price and no shipping.

Here is the photo.

WHOA Jim, can I/we get a link?
Where do you buy your tires?

I was schooled at MV last year. My tires are as old as the trailer.
So new bearings and new tires for me.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »

WHOA Jim, can I/we get a link?
Where do you buy your tires?

I was schooled at MV last year. My tires are as old as the trailer.
So new bearings and new tires for me.

SBB

Bearings come from my local Tractor Supply.  www.tractorsupply.com

On the tires if you want 6 ply its Bushtec only. If you don't mind to go with 4 ply speed rated for 93 mph there is a place in Louisville Kentucky called Motorcycle Super Store they sell a Korean made tire by Shinko for around $32.00 each.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

I highly recommend all Bushtec owners to check wheel bearings frequently, they are inexpensive and small diameter.  The speeds most of us pull at could be deadly if a failure occurs.  I for one an embaressed that I had not checked them before, I know better but I guess was pulled into the fact I never heard anyone complain or mention a failure.  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings. Perhaps there is a higher grade bearing that will interchange with them. What I have found so far is the only difference is price not quality.

Post what you find when you look at yours I'm curious to see if anyone else finds a catrostrophic failure or mine is a fluke.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »

Chains, I think yours is a fluke.  I've pulled a Bushtec since '99 and never had any bearing problems with the two trailers I've had and I've pulled both many '000s of miles.  I had the first trailer from '99 until '07 and sent the wheels to them for new tires and even though the bearings were fine (per me and them) we replaced anyway to go with the new tires.  Ditto on the trailer I got in '07 - new tires (needed) and new bearings even though no problem with them in '13.

The tires are a real bitch to change which is why I shipped the wheels (with old tires on them) to Bushtec.  As you mentioned the only place to get the 6-ply tire is from them.  Their labor to change and the shipping (since I've fairly close) was very reasonable.

BTW I do carry a spare set of wheel bearings and a new inner tube (no spare tire) in the trailer 'just in case.'   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:55:42 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

I sort of figure its a fluke, I have owned a lot of Bushtecs,  6 to date and never had any issues what so ever. I am amazed that with one bearing totally gone, the other kept me from feeling anything strange.

I have a spare tube and will have a spare set of bearings as well.  I also will do a check before heading out. Still can't believe what I found.

I guess the 6 ply tires are the way to go, at least that is what everyone says.  One of the trailers I had did have 4 ply tires on it and they were just fine.  They say that the 6 ply could possibly aid incase of a flat.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »

Never owned a Bushtec, but speaking of trailer tires in general. 4 ply tires would be completly safe for a M/C due to speed & load. 6 ply might be slightly better in case of a flat, but the sidewall are not that much stiffer. For the bearings I would go to a good industrial supply and opt for an American made bearing. And for you Chip, there is a Timken Plant in Cherryville.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/bearings/Pages/default.aspx
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »

Thanks Jimmy , I will see what Motion industries has to say about a US manufacturer.  My feeling is they are so small that most of them are probably made off shore. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:53:00 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »

Would not suprise me at all.........hell, our manufacturing output srinks on a daily basis. Maybe when ISIS takes over they can kick it up a notch. :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »

Chains, I think yours is a fluke.  I've pulled a Bushtec since '99 and never had any bearing problems with the two trailers I've had and I've pulled both many '000s of miles.  I had the first trailer from '99 until '07 and sent the wheels to them for new tires and even though the bearings were fine (per me and them) we replaced anyway to go with the new tires.  Ditto on the trailer I got in '07 - new tires (needed) and new bearings even though no problem with them in '13.

The tires are a real bitch to change which is why I shipped the wheels (with old tires on them) to Bushtec.  As you mentioned the only place to get the 6-ply tire is from them.  Their labor to change and the shipping (since I've fairly close) was very reasonable.

BTW I do carry a spare set of wheel bearings and a new inner tube (no spare tire) in the trailer 'just in case.'   :2vrolijk_21:
That's why, like it only rains when you forget the rain gear :huepfenlol2:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »

Update:

Of the two Bushtec trailers I have and the 6 wheels and tires I checked, I had 5 failed bearings. Only one as bad as the photo I posted.  The two polished aluminum wheels had all 4 bad in different States of failure. I am certain they where10 years old. 

The other wheel bearing that failed was on a 1994 model and I have no idea as to the age of the bearings. I do know all bearings that failed are the same as the ones Bushtec sells. I ended up buying mine at Advanced Auto, they are National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF. Made by or for them in China, could not cross reference to any US supplier.

When you consider the age of the bearings not bad at all, I take complete responsibility for not inspecting them before.

Will definitely jack the trailer up and do periodic pre ride checks prior to heading out with it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:32:50 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »

203-FF made me grin.  That's a very common bearing in the automotive world.  Used as an end bearing in alternators for many applications for years and years.  If they hold up to the heat, belt tension and RPMs of engine environment driving an alternator you'd tend to think the trailer wheel bearing application would be a piece of cake.  Certainly going to check mine now this weekend.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

Chains be sure they are right for our western adventure as we will be carrying precious cargo!

Mike
:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :drink: :drink:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

203-FF made me grin.  That's a very common bearing in the automotive world.  Used as an end bearing in alternators for many applications for years and years.  If they hold up to the heat, belt tension and RPMs of engine environment driving an alternator you'd tend to think the trailer wheel bearing application would be a piece of cake.  Certainly going to check mine now this weekend.

Sounds like I made a good choice in cross referencing the Part # of the bearing Bushtec supplies.  I'm with you Don if they hold up to the heat, belt tension and atmosphere  alternators live in they should be perfect for trailer use.   I guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:11:16 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »

Chains, in post # 4 you referenced the specs for the Bushtec bearing:  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings.

That is the same info I got from Andrew Preston several years ago and he cautioned me that the NTN bearings come in different ID sizes and the 17mm is more common.  He said the 17mm will not correctly fit the axle shaft

From what I could find the National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF is 17mm ID.  Does it also come in the 15.875mm ID?  If it is the 17mm version did it fit the axle shaft? :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »

Chains, in post # 4 you referenced the specs for the Bushtec bearing:  Bearings are 15.875mm ID X 40mm OD X12mm single row sealed ball bearings.

That is the same info I got from Andrew Preston several years ago and he cautioned me that the NTN bearings come in different ID sizes and the 17mm is more common.  He said the 17mm will not correctly fit the axle shaft

From what I could find the National Bearings by Federal Mogul #203-FF is 17mm ID.  Does it also come in the 15.875mm ID?  If it is the 17mm version did it fit the axle shaft? :nixweiss:
h
Was going to put bearings in today, saw your  post and got out my calipers.  After un wrapping the bearing it is 17mm I'd and no it is not the correct option.  Even though the computer at the parts store showed it as a crossover to the original the id is too big.

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like the 5 bad bearings won't be replaced today.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:12:59 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »

h
Was going to put bearings in today, saw your  post and got out my calipers.  After un wrapping the bearing it is 17mm I'd and no it is not the correct option.  Even though the computer at the parts store showed it as a crossover to the original the id is too big.

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like the 5 bad bearings won't be replaced today.
It would be nice if Bushtec used the more common 17mm size for their axle.  That's why I carry a spare set - I figured that a failure away from a major metro area might make it very hard to find the less common size.

Anyway, glad it all worked out.

IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »

Just went on line and ordered them from a JSB Bearing, a supplier on Amazon. Should have them by the end of next week.  Turns out they are used in swimming pool pumps and riding mower decks.

I'm with you, if they used the more common 17mm id you could buy them anywhere.

Thanks again for the heads up.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »

Hmmmm....  I just checked my bearing index sheet and the 6203LU you mentioned at the outset shows as a 17mm bearing.  Will be curious to see what fits when you get the pieces in hand.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »

I got mine from the local Grainger.  I think Bushtec may actually be less expensive but don't know for sure.  It is 6203LLB - Grainger's part no. 5U537.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:36:30 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

I finally got the right ones coming.  .625 id by 1.574 od by .472

The 6203lu is what is on the bearings that failed. I believe they can be had with the 15.875mm id as well as the 17mm. Therein lies the confusion at the auto parts store in the crossover.  The wrong bearings have been returned and new ones should arrive Thursday.  One would think why didn't you just get them from Bushtec?

The last items I ordered from them take way too long to ship.  It appears without a Preston at the helm the corporate buracrecy the wheels turn slow.  Shame, really a good product all the company needs is someone that cares.  I did notice when looking at their us trailers, one of them is in a warehouse and I saw a wooden box full of luggage racks.  To me it appears to be a shipping box like one would receive when importing items from China, Korea or some other country.  May explain why it takes so long to get things from them.

I still think I will send them my polished directionals for new tires, a little nervous about letting any of the local guys changing the tires out. Hate to have anyone destroy a high dollar set of wheels.  The local shops that I have been in have signs stating Not Responsible for breaking custom wheels.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »

I just read all the posts and I always keep 2 sets of bearings in my trailer. I have only had to replace 2 bearings since new (2008)
and I have always kept and used NSK #6203-625DDUC3, which is a .625" diameter, same as the axle diameter. As far as tires are
concerned I just replaced mine with new Bushtec 6 ply. I suggest anyone who wants OEM, check out their website for places they will be set up, and if you are in the area, make a reservation for new tires. I just did the Wing Ding in Madison WI. last summer. I got new tires, tubes and balance for a little over $160, which isn't bad for 7 years of usage.
The "TAZMUN"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

That's real good I know Bushtec recommends replacement of tires when they are worn down to 1/16 tread life. Most guys probably never wear them down that far.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »

The 6203lu is what is on the bearings that failed. I believe they can be had with the 15.875mm id as well as the 17mm. Therein lies the confusion at the auto parts store in the crossover.  The wrong bearings have been returned and new ones should arrive Thursday.  One would think why didn't you just get them from Bushtec?

The last items I ordered from them take way too long to ship.  It appears without a Preston at the helm the corporate buracrecy the wheels turn slow.  Shame, really a good product all the company needs is someone that cares.  I did notice when looking at their us trailers, one of them is in a warehouse and I saw a wooden box full of luggage racks.  To me it appears to be a shipping box like one would receive when importing items from China, Korea or some other country.  May explain why it takes so long to get things from them.

I still think I will send them my polished directionals for new tires, a little nervous about letting any of the local guys changing the tires out. Hate to have anyone destroy a high dollar set of wheels.  The local shops that I have been in have signs stating Not Responsible for breaking custom wheels.
I've got the same high dollar wheels on my Bushtec and that is the main reason I sent the wheels to them for new tires and bearings - simple and reasonably  priced.  I have used a local indy tire shop for the last couple tire changes on both my bikes as the owners also ride and have the right equipment and personnel to change out motorcycle tires.  One of the owners noticed my receiver hitch which lead to discussion about trailers and Bushtec.  He said that he had changed one set of tires on Bushtec wheels for a customer - but never again.  He said it was one of the most difficult jobs he'd ever had and he would not do it again.

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:43 PM »

I don't think I've got a 5/8" internal bearing puller.  Oh well, bearings can always be managed.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »

I don't think I've got a 5/8" internal bearing puller.  Oh well, bearings can always be managed.

Neither do I.  Actually I have an old pushrod from a 283 with the end ground flat on it and you can get enough of a bite on the bearing if you push the spacer to one side.  A few hits on each side and its out. Second one is a breeze then with a piece of tubing.

Safety glasses on and hammer down.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Neither do I.  Actually I have an old pushrod from a 283 with the end ground flat on it and you can get enough of a bite on the bearing if you push the spacer to one side.  A few hits on each side and its out. Second one is a breeze then with a piece of tubing.

Safety glasses on and hammer down.
I checked this morning and didn't have 8.625 collette to go on a bearing puller. Didn't think I did either. But if is tight can always get one finger of a slide hammer or something else in there. More than one way to skin a bearing or cat.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Funny set up. I wish they would go with standard axles, bearings, rims, and tires. The old (pre-94) 2.50 tires, shocks, and suspension parts are no longer available from them. It would be nice to get on the road repairs when needed instead of having to overnight stuff, otherwise I'm happy with their products.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »

Don't get me wrong Doc I love them.  Im with you on the axle and tire situation, should would be easier if they we common items.  I for one could care less if the tire was a 4 ply, the problem is finding someone that cares enough to take the time and be careful mounting the tires on the rims.  Hate to have someone bust a wheel and say sorry we don't cover that.  I think something like a 16 inch wheel from a motorcycle with a common tire would be great.  Tires would cost more but I would bet you would be replacing them less.  With a little engineering and a axle location and diameter change, I think it would work. Key is keeping ride height the same.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »

Now that you have redesigned the trailer, when does production start? Also what are you going to name it? How about BYET! ( Back Yard Engineered Trailers )
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »

Then every post-94 tire, rim, axle, suspension would be obsolete and not stocked or serviced by them. John told me years ago that his partner bought up a bunch of out of production shocks and based the suspension on them. He admits it was a big mistake, but because of circumstances wasn't able to do anything about it. Later when the supply of shocks ran out they had to change the suspension and tub to accommodate the new shocks and tires. Hey, its just progress and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it, but the problem is that there are no after market suppliers to service the old units. I can still by a clutch for my 70 Sporty chopper, but not from Harley. 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »

If you need parts from Bushtec be sure to allow ample time for your order to go through their new system.  Bought and paid for the end caps for my luggage rack on January 5th. I have been patiently waiting for them to arrive. After multiple attempts to find out where they were today I was told they shipped yesterday and I should see them in 6 to 10 days.

I used to be able to order parts and have them in less than 5 days, not now with new owners.

So if you are preparing for a trip and find you need something of importance from them you better allow time for their system to regurgitate your parts out the door. Sure do miss the Preston's. Had the opportunity to deal with Electrical Connection in Knoxville a very pleasant experience, shocked to find out the guy I dealt with was Lewis Preston, explains the great service.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:02:19 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

If you needparts from Bushtec be sure to allow ample time for your order to go through their new system.  Bought and paid for the end caps for my luggage rack on January 5th. I have been patiently waiting for them to arrive. After multiple attempts to find out where they were today I was told they shipped yesterday and I should see them in 6 to 10 days.

I used to be able to order parts and have them in less than 5 days, per new owners.

So if you are preparing for a trip and find you need something of importance from them you better allow time for their system to regurgitate your parts out the door. Sure do miss the Preston's. Had the opportunity to deal with Electrical Connection in Knoxville a very pleasant experience, shocked to find out the guy I dealt with was Lewis Preston, explains the great service.
Absoultely.  But I do think the new owners are committed to offering the same great product.  Just miss the personal touch. 

IBA member # 45520

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »

Absoultely.  But I do think the new owners are committed to offering the same great product.  Just miss the personal touch.

I bought a brand new bushtec turbo+ for a trip from SD to Alaska and back. Three latches broke on the trip leading to loss of some expensive clothes and gear. When I got home the tires looked like they had been asaulted by a sander and die grinder. Tried to get some support from bushtec (just figured it came with the over $5000 price tag). What a JOKE!

It sits in my garage unused for several years now. Why? They have a new better lock, OH, but I have to bring the trailer from South Dakota to the deep south for them to fix the lock. WTH? Bad bearings and associated severe tire wear, OH, they will sell me new bearings and tires.....

Bushtec was given more than ample oportunity to resolve my issues (on a brand new trailer) and did NOTHING!

Dont waste your money on a company that does NOT stand behind their product. WORST excuse for customer support I ever encountered in my 67 years.

Jim

rivachase

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »

The information on this Forum from all of you is awesome.
After spending an hour looking for a better price, it appears that Bushtec is the cheapest less S&H. Anybody have a better place to buy the bearings?

I have one question about the axle sleeves that separate the bearings. Should they be changed out as well, and where do I get them if need be?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »

No Bushtec is not the cheapest buy them on Amazon. I have had over a dozen Bushtec trailers and never had to replace the sleeve even when the bearing failed. You can get them a little less I believe if you buy 8 at a time that is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=yo_ii_bia_view?ie=UTF8&ac=bia&reorder_params=B00AOET7OW%2C115-8011435-9669810
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:59:15 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.