Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer  (Read 12916 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Bearings on Bushtec Trailer
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »

Don't get me wrong Doc I love them.  Im with you on the axle and tire situation, should would be easier if they we common items.  I for one could care less if the tire was a 4 ply, the problem is finding someone that cares enough to take the time and be careful mounting the tires on the rims.  Hate to have someone bust a wheel and say sorry we don't cover that.  I think something like a 16 inch wheel from a motorcycle with a common tire would be great.  Tires would cost more but I would bet you would be replacing them less.  With a little engineering and a axle location and diameter change, I think it would work. Key is keeping ride height the same.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »

Now that you have redesigned the trailer, when does production start? Also what are you going to name it? How about BYET! ( Back Yard Engineered Trailers )
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »

Then every post-94 tire, rim, axle, suspension would be obsolete and not stocked or serviced by them. John told me years ago that his partner bought up a bunch of out of production shocks and based the suspension on them. He admits it was a big mistake, but because of circumstances wasn't able to do anything about it. Later when the supply of shocks ran out they had to change the suspension and tub to accommodate the new shocks and tires. Hey, its just progress and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it, but the problem is that there are no after market suppliers to service the old units. I can still by a clutch for my 70 Sporty chopper, but not from Harley. 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »

If you need parts from Bushtec be sure to allow ample time for your order to go through their new system.  Bought and paid for the end caps for my luggage rack on January 5th. I have been patiently waiting for them to arrive. After multiple attempts to find out where they were today I was told they shipped yesterday and I should see them in 6 to 10 days.

I used to be able to order parts and have them in less than 5 days, not now with new owners.

So if you are preparing for a trip and find you need something of importance from them you better allow time for their system to regurgitate your parts out the door. Sure do miss the Preston's. Had the opportunity to deal with Electrical Connection in Knoxville a very pleasant experience, shocked to find out the guy I dealt with was Lewis Preston, explains the great service.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:02:19 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

If you needparts from Bushtec be sure to allow ample time for your order to go through their new system.  Bought and paid for the end caps for my luggage rack on January 5th. I have been patiently waiting for them to arrive. After multiple attempts to find out where they were today I was told they shipped yesterday and I should see them in 6 to 10 days.

I used to be able to order parts and have them in less than 5 days, per new owners.

So if you are preparing for a trip and find you need something of importance from them you better allow time for their system to regurgitate your parts out the door. Sure do miss the Preston's. Had the opportunity to deal with Electrical Connection in Knoxville a very pleasant experience, shocked to find out the guy I dealt with was Lewis Preston, explains the great service.
Absoultely.  But I do think the new owners are committed to offering the same great product.  Just miss the personal touch. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »

Absoultely.  But I do think the new owners are committed to offering the same great product.  Just miss the personal touch.

I bought a brand new bushtec turbo+ for a trip from SD to Alaska and back. Three latches broke on the trip leading to loss of some expensive clothes and gear. When I got home the tires looked like they had been asaulted by a sander and die grinder. Tried to get some support from bushtec (just figured it came with the over $5000 price tag). What a JOKE!

It sits in my garage unused for several years now. Why? They have a new better lock, OH, but I have to bring the trailer from South Dakota to the deep south for them to fix the lock. WTH? Bad bearings and associated severe tire wear, OH, they will sell me new bearings and tires.....

Bushtec was given more than ample oportunity to resolve my issues (on a brand new trailer) and did NOTHING!

Dont waste your money on a company that does NOT stand behind their product. WORST excuse for customer support I ever encountered in my 67 years.

Jim

rivachase

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »

The information on this Forum from all of you is awesome.
After spending an hour looking for a better price, it appears that Bushtec is the cheapest less S&H. Anybody have a better place to buy the bearings?

I have one question about the axle sleeves that separate the bearings. Should they be changed out as well, and where do I get them if need be?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »

No Bushtec is not the cheapest buy them on Amazon. I have had over a dozen Bushtec trailers and never had to replace the sleeve even when the bearing failed. You can get them a little less I believe if you buy 8 at a time that is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=yo_ii_bia_view?ie=UTF8&ac=bia&reorder_params=B00AOET7OW%2C115-8011435-9669810
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:59:15 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.