Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Howard's 30MM Ohlins kit for Harley forks  (Read 22056 times)

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
Howard's 30MM Ohlins kit for Harley forks
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »

My experience:
I have had 4 sets of Traxxion Dynamics installed on: 2001 SERG, 2002 Vrod, 2007 SEUC, 2013 Dyna Switchback, 1 set of Storz / Cerrani on 2006 Dyna and a Progressive Monotube on a 2002RK.

I just recently put Howard's 30mm Ohlins Kit on a 2015 SERG and I have a set for a 2006 Dyna that will be installed shortly. I have access to a lathe so I did both conversions myself. This was not too difficult but Howard will do the conversion for you for about $100 per leg, with all machining included. Just like the TD upgrade, you must use a flapper wheel or lathe to remove the check valve. Additionally you must then cut 0.150" from the top side of the fork tube. For the average home job, you can do it easily if you have a local machine shop do the cut of 0.150". Howard stayed involved with advice and instruction throughout the process. I have never dealt with someone who always answers his phone and always takes the time to explain things.

Our stock Harley 49mm forks have 4.6" of travel (2015), Howard's Ohlins Kit has around 7 inches!
Benefits of Howards kit:
1) External compression dampening adjustment on left fork cap.
2) External rebound adjustment on right fork cap.
3) External spring preload adjustment of 3/4" on BOTH fork caps.
4) On 2015 SERG BOTH compression and rebound adjusters are accessible with nacelle covers in place!
5) Over 50% increase in front end overall travel.
6) Non of the above are included in ANY of the other three brands (Traxxion, Storz or Progressive)
7) I can actually tune for one up /two up in about 1 minute, just like you can with the rear shocks.

Results:
I really  cannot compare this 30 mm kit by Howard with any of the other brands listed. This is because THERE IS NO CAMPARISSON!! Howard's system is by far, hands down, no exaggeration, the very best Bagger front end I have ever even dreamed of.

With about 2 1/2" of sag dialed in this thing is like riding a cross between a Cadillac and a Ferrari. Plush and firm at the same time if that makes any sense. Cornering, straight line stability, tracking over rough spots are all unbelievably improved! I have put about 700 miles on the bike in the past week. The first trip was a 300 mile loop from Stockton thru Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay and back to Stockton. We hit freeways, mountain two laners, Highway 1 up the coast and across the San Mateo Bridge with all of the expansion joints.

During my initial test ride and subsequent test rides, I was never able to wipe the grin off my face. Even my wife (who is kept ignorant of upgrades for her own peace of mind) commented on "HOW nice the bike rode".

Up until the first ride with these forks, the Traxxion  system was my benchmark for front end performance. It is a very good system. However, it is only a 20mm cartridge and Howard's is a 30mm cartridge with external adjustments.

The Howard / Ohlins 30mm system  from Motorcycle Metal is absolutely a giant leap ahead in ride quality, ride performance and tune-ability. It is miles ahead of the competition and my new benchmark for front end upgrades. Nothing really compares.

Note: no photos to post because it all LOOKs stock.
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

tj316

Re: Howard's 30MM Ohlins kit for Harley forks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »

I've been running them on my 2011 FLTRX along with his triple trees converting it to a 49mm tree for a while . There is no comparison to anything currently available to us. Your grin will never go away and only get bigger when riding with others and you see a rough road ahead and you accelerate while they are slowing down.

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »

Yes, We rode with my friend on his 2005 CVOUC with stock front forks and progressive 440 rears shocks. Every time we hit rough rode, our grins grew bigger as we watched him pogo-ing down the road.

Did you also put Howard's 13 5/8 inch stroke rear shocks on your FLTRX? I think stock was 12"????
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

tj316

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »

Yes, We rode with my friend on his 2005 CVOUC with stock front forks and progressive 440 rears shocks. Every time we hit rough rode, our grins grew bigger as we watched him pogo-ing down the road.

Did you also put Howard's 13 5/8 inch stroke rear shocks on your FLTRX? I think stock was 12"????
Howard built me a custom set  of his #6's (Ohlins HD-357) , he made them 12.323" long , they are great

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »

Howard built me a custom set  of his #6's (Ohlins HD-357) , he made them 12.323" long , they are great

He is shipping ,me the standard #6 rears for this bike tomorrow. I currently have the JRI shocks on it. They are good, but the #6 have 20% more travel. did you notice the difference in 10% more travel with your custom set?

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

Subscribing. I have a 12 CVO RG, they have the stock 41mm forks, will the 30mm kit fit in the 41 mm tubes? im leaning towards the 6's for my rears, couldnt help smiling reading garya1s post. I live and ride the same area, and 580 both east and west of the altamont is horrendous.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

I have had Howard's 6's for almost 30000 miles, they are fantastic! As I stated on a couple of other threads I blew up my motor a few weeks ago and am waiting on my new 124 so I have been renting Limited's for the last couple of weekends. I have probably taken the 6's for granted after all this time but after doing 450 miles this weekend and 300 last on the stock suspension, I will never do that again. Huge-huge difference!
Alan

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »

Subscribing. I have a 12 CVO RG, they have the stock 41mm forks, will the 30mm kit fit in the 41 mm tubes? im leaning towards the 6's for my rears, couldnt help smiling reading garya1s post. I live and ride the same area, and 580 both east and west of the Altamont is horrendous.

You will not go wrong with the #6s. Unfortunately the 30mm Ohlins kit from Howard will not fit the 41mm forks. Of course you can upgrade to the 49mm forks.  :pepper: Then his kit will fit perfectly. It's just that after 1,000 miles on those forks from Howard, I cannot bear to think of you riding the 580 without them. :laugh4:

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:47 PM »

I have had Howard's 6's for almost 30000 miles, they are fantastic! As I stated on a couple of other threads I blew up my motor a few weeks ago and am waiting on my new 124 so I have been renting Limited's for the last couple of weekends. I have probably taken the 6's for granted after all this time but after doing 450 miles this weekend and 300 last on the stock suspension, I will never do that again. Huge-huge difference!
I have the same CVO, where did you mount the reservoir? Is it hidden?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 12:43:59 AM »

Yes, it is hidden behind the bag.
Alan

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »

I've been running them on my 2011 FLTRX along with his triple trees converting it to a 49mm tree for a while . There is no comparison to anything currently available to us. Your grin will never go away and only get bigger when riding with others and you see a rough road ahead and you accelerate while they are slowing down.

Welcome to the forum newbie!  :D
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »

Yeah, if you have a pre 2014, you could upgrade to the newer forks/triple trees and use the kit that the OP is talking about, but I think by the time all the parts are bought, you are looking at like $3000 or something crazy.

The Ohlins set up for the pre 2014's is the Ohlins FKC 101 cartridge kit. Howard does the discount on those, and I believe he puts on the appropriate spring for your weight. I plan on ordering those soon....my one and only major mod this year.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 12:46:13 AM »

Yeah, if you have a pre 2014, you could upgrade to the newer forks/triple trees and use the kit that the OP is talking about, but I think by the time all the parts are bought, you are looking at like $3000 or something crazy.

The Ohlins set up for the pre 2014's is the Ohlins FKC 101 cartridge kit. Howard does the discount on those, and I believe he puts on the appropriate spring for your weight. I plan on ordering those soon....my one and only major mod this year.

I think that is probably the most impact on performance after a pipe/tune. For a single mod, you chose wisely. You will still be able to modify compression with oil level. For $3,000 it is better to just upgrade to a 2015 CVO.  ;) I for one want to hear your thoughts after installing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:48:04 AM by garya1 »

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »

I think that is probably the most impact on performance after a pipe/tune. For a single mod, you chose wisely. You will still be able to modify compression with oil level. For $3,000 it is better to just upgrade to a 2015 CVO.  ;) I for one want to hear your thoughts after installing.

Ditto. I've been considering replacing the Monotube cartridges with the Ohlins on my 2008 CVO Ultra.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »

I think I'm going to spend the dollars and upgrade my 2012 FLTRXSE to Howard's setup.  I had a Ducati hypermotard and added Ohlins cartridges, all I can say is wow.  On the track the front end felt so much better and the confidence level went way up.  Knowing what's going on with the front wheel is worth everything.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.