Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom DIY air Ride rear  (Read 1651 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Custom DIY air Ride rear
« on: November 21, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »

So 09 CVO with Monroe air shocks, air tank, compressor and valves and switches. Would like to upgrade and buy the shocks only. Whats the best and where to buy?

BigLew

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Custom DIY air Ride rear
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

It looks like you may have purchased adjustable Arnott's, if so how are they working for you?

I had the adjustable Arnott's and could never get them soft enough for my liking.

I have since went with the Dirty Air aluminum body shock. I've installed two other sets and so far everyone likes them. They are an air over oil shock that allows you to run them at anywhere in the travel range. The converted Monroe's had to be run just off of full up or they would bottom out.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »

It looks like you may have purchased adjustable Arnott's, if so how are they working for you?

I had the adjustable Arnott's and could never get them soft enough for my liking.

I have since went with the Dirty Air aluminum body shock. I've installed two other sets and so far everyone likes them. They are an air over oil shock that allows you to run them at anywhere in the travel range. The converted Monroe's had to be run just off of full up or they would bottom out.

Hey Mike I sent you a PM

BigLew

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »

Same here, but I finally attributed it to weight, as in not enough weight. Two up with stuff packed the ride was good.
Solo it sucked. So I figure you need to weigh about 250 or more to get a decent ride out of them.

165 does not cut it.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »

Believe it or not I have worn a pair of the monroe shock out. They have not been right for some time now in that I have had to keep increasing the air in order to keep the long sweeping curve weave under control. Had a few pucker moments to say the least. Now when adding enough air to be even close to a decent ride they seem to go over the top and start hitting something inside like they are bottoming out even though far from bottoming. Have to let all the air out and refill to get it to stop.

So, now looking for something better. I guess I will put some weight to these Dirty Air Aluminum bodied shocks. Has anyone tried them (or another full range air shock) on a full bagger with / with out a passenger?
Is a limit cable needed with these like the Monroe's?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:17:16 AM by Mr. Warlock »
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »

i have not been 250 since ninth grade, i run progressive shocks with the stiffest springs they had , perfect.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.