Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lifters rattle  (Read 1479 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Lifters rattle
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »

Question.... Recently (around 500miles ago) I replaced the lifters on the '15 CVO 110 as a pre-caution since the clock turned 25K. I replaced the stock lifters with a Vance and Hines hydraulic lifters and adjustable push tods.  Bikes was running great the replacement lifters sounded much smoother.
Move forward from my trip to Sturgis last week when I toy hauled the bike upwards of 1500miles I went to start the bike and it rattled like crazy I shut it down waited a minute and started it again.  Sounded fine so I rode it off and on for a few days with I think no problem.
So I tow home (1500 miles) push the bike back out of the toy hauler and start it to move up my driveway and it rattled terribly so I shut it down again waited a few minutes and started it again, it rattled a bit then quieted down to what I think was normal.

Any ideas?

J.D.

Re: Lifters rattle
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »

Sounds like the lifters are just bleeding down when not running.  As long as the rattle stops just after starting you should be ok.  If it really bothers you though swap them out.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »

The ride in the trailer caused all the oil in the top end and the lifters to bleed down into the crankcase. So basically after each trailer trip it was like starting a brand new motor with no oil pumped through the top end yet.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts doing this just from sitting overnight.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »

on my 16, change lifters w/S&S, same thing... park it when its hot and in the am tick, tick, tttttick. I call it morning tickness. did it with stock lifters also. 20k on each set, think im going with Johnsons next time... winter project. I think it has to do with the heavy springs HD uses  :nixweiss: . bike runs to good for me to justify changing cams and springs at this time, plus I love the monster torque of the 255 & the fullsac setup 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:17:29 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »

Vance and Hines buys lifters does not make them. The spring pressure will bleed the best of them off even slow bleed Johnson's. The slow bleed is also slower to pump up with high viscosity oil.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 01:39:46 AM »

I'l bet you parked it in the trailer in gear.  Bike bouncing and small movement back and forth bled down the lifters.
Don't worry about it.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 12:26:44 AM »

Thanks for the consensus I took it into the dealer just to hedge my concerns with the rattle since I only had a few hundred miles on the new lifters.  They pretty much said the same as  you all....   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 08:06:01 AM »

You aren't the first person to have this happen after trailering the bike.  If you have the same issue after just letting the bike sit overnight, however, I'd suggest those lifters you bought aren't the greatest.  You didn't mention your stock lifters doing this, and Harley's "C" lifters are far from the best in this regard.  As Don noted in a previous post, the heavy valve springs in a 110 can lead to a lifter leaking down quicker, but all four valves aren't going to be off their seats at the same time.  One lifter having to pump up is noisy for a short time, all the lifters having to pump back up at the same time might scare the bejesus out of you the first time it happens and it's not normal or good.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

balintp

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 08:18:22 AM »

I had real loud lifter noise after a 10k trip to Sturgis and the western states. I'm from Florida and always ride in high temps. Bike has 40k miles and lifters had never been changed. I took her apart and found the front exhaust lifter had a bearing missing. Took it apart and it looked liked the bearing got squeezed behind the roller and I hope it was disintegrated. Replaced lifters with S&S high performance lifters. Waiting for a gasket I ordered to come in before I can finish her up and see how she sounds with the new lifters. Here are some pictures of the failed lifter: this one is the bottom of the lifter where the roller bearing sits. Marks show where I think the lost needle got squeezed and disintegrated since there isnt enough clearance to get by the bearing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:25:46 AM by balintp »

balintp

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »

Bearing shaft
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:23:57 AM by balintp »

balintp

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »

Rocker Roller

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »

I think I'd be changing the oil before firing it up!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »

I think I'd be changing the oil before firing it up!

Definitely !!   Good call....hope everything goes well.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »

The roller (Hardened) did not disintegrate. The particles are in there floating around. Small part, but you could have big problems, lets hope not. Good luck.

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 25 queries.