Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Toy Hauler Pros & Cons  (Read 12656 times)

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
Toy Hauler Pros & Cons
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »

I wanted to throw this topic out there because I'm considering a Toy Hauler.

I'm looking to buy a new truck...which has been dicussed on another thread here.

Assumption is that it (Truck) will be a diesel! Dualie? Maybe.

I'm looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers.

My buddy tells me I won't use it enough and I'll waste my money...many have I'm sure.

On the other hand, would it force you to do more on the weekends when the local weather may be bad but you can out drive it somewhere to ride and explore?

What brands do you own?  Do you like them enough to purchase another.

Your thoughts.
Unapologetically American!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Toy Hauler Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »

Six,

Depending on what you get the sually would be nice for the fifth wheel.  I use a single with my 24 foot trailer (9,000 lbs) simply because it manuevers better than the dually with a tighter turning circle.

I hear the new (2005) Fords have a much better turning circle than the older ones.

I think you may be right about the amount some folks use them.  We got a motorhome (23ft) for outrunning the weather and used it alot the first couple of years but the past couple it has only seen use in hunting season and one or two special events for overnight when rooms weren't available.

Once you narrow down what you like if you decide to buy one I would search the used market.  My brother sells trailers and he gets them in all the time that still have unused refrigerators and stoves, some even have the plastic still on furniture.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

What kind of toy's are you hauling????

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »

I'm looking to buy a new truck...which has been dicussed on another thread here.

My buddy tells me I won't use it enough and I'll waste my money...many have I'm sure.

On the other hand, would it force you to do more on the weekends when the local weather may be bad but you can out drive it somewhere to ride and explore?

Your thoughts.
Six Gun,
After a lot of researching, my wife and I took the plunge this last spring and bought a 5th wheel toyhauler.  We took it out four times this summer and fall, and are already setting up camping sites for next summer, including staying at a KOA camp site in Pigeon Forge for the National Hog Rally in Knoxville, TN in August.    There are a lot of toy haulers out there to buy and they are all good.  The one we settled on was the Key Performance Raptor by Keystone.  It's a 36 ft 5th wheel with dual slide-outs, 5.5kw generator, and a 12 foot garage in the back of the trailer.  It can comfortably sleep six adults.  The reason we went with the Raptor is it's a bit lighter than most toy haulers that size, but it's in construction techniques not leaving things off to save some weight.   We tow it with a 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, with the Cummins diesel, and a single rear wheel axle.  I did research on that and the only thing that dualies give you is a liittle more stability when towing a big rig.   I haven't noticed and stability problems with my truck when towing.   I got the 2500 instead of the 3500 because the ride in the 3500 when not towing was way too stiff and the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the suspension; power train and everything else is the same.  So what I did was have the RV dealer install Firestone airbags in the rear when they put the 5th wheel hitch in the bed.  Now I get the benefit of a 3500 when towing, but the softer suspension of the 2500, after letting the air out, when not towing.  Best of both worlds.   There are a lot of good deals out there on used trailers.  We bought ours new...the trailer had an MSRP of $56,350, but out the door price including the fifth-wheel hitch, airbags, and mounting, was just a tad over $41K.  The nice thing about having a trailer, is the tax deduction as a second home.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Here's some pics of the trailer and the truck.
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »

Left side of trailer

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »

right side

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »

Old Ultra in the garage.

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »

dining/living area

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:59:42 PM »

bedroom, sort of

2012 FLHXSE3

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

RedDevil, I was wondering about a short bed/5th wheel combo...I guess you answered that.

I have only an 07 SE Ultra to haul.  What about two Ultras if you wanted to take some friends as well?

What do you think about the "Weekend Warroir?"  I do like the Raptors
though I have to admit.

Are you retired, or do you just go when you can?

One thing we dicussed the other night was having a garage to lock your scooter up in.  In the shorter Toy haulers you have to leave your machine out at night to stay in it.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

RedDevil, I was wondering about a short bed/5th wheel combo...I guess you answered that.

I have only an 07 SE Ultra to haul.  What about two Ultras if you wanted to take some friends as well?

What do you think about the "Weekend Warroir?"  I do like the Raptors
though I have to admit.

Are you retired, or do you just go when you can?

One thing we dicussed the other night was having a garage to lock your scooter up in.  In the shorter Toy haulers you have to leave your machine out at night to stay in it.
Sixgun,

My wife and I still work, so we travel when we can.  (I wish we were retired, we'd be out all the time.) We love setting the trailer up and getting away from it all.

The Weekend Warrior is a nice trailer ... we looked at one of those also, but went with the Raptor for a couple of reasons.  It was a little lighter, I preferred the black rubber diamond tread floor over the checkerboard pattern, and the deal that we got from the dealer we bought the Raptor from.  Nobody, not even other dealers that sold Raptors could match them.   I had the dealer mount two removeable wheel chocks, and three base plates in the garage.  That way when we travel with just the Ultra, I can put one wheel chock in the center plate and evenly distribute the load on the axles.  If we need to two-up, all I have to do is move the wheel chock to the side plate and can carry two Ultras and any combination of bikes easily.  There's plenty of room in that garage.  The Raptor came with the track mount system for the tie-downs instead of fixed points in the floor, which is nice because it gives you unlimited options for tieing down things.  I had them run one track down each side of the garage, and one down the middle.  We bought the Raptor for exactly the same reason you stated about having a separate garage.  We can lock the bike in there at night, and also if we have to go somewhere during the day with the truck, the bike is out of sight, locked up in the garage.  Also, I wasn't too keen having the bike in the living area when we were towing.

The Dodge short-bed truck is a little longer than the Ford's.  (6ft 3in compared to 5ft 6in) So I don't have too much problem making relatively tight turns and not hitting the truck cab with the trailer nose.  The dealership did install a short-bed "slider hitch" though for those times when I did need to make really sharp turns.  When I throw the lever on the hitch into the maneuvering position, it allow the hitch to slide back in the bed about 11 inches and gives more than enough clearance between the nose of the trailer and the truck cab to make really tight turns.  I use the maneuvering mode whenever I get into any tight situations just for piece of mind.

Hope all of this helps you out...if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »

Make sure any toy hauler you may look at has the tie down rings or the tie down racks bolted into metal in the floor and not just through the plywood.  Baggers are heavy machines and unless it is securely tied down they can break loose during transit.  The rear of any trailer or fith wheel takes the most abuse when going down the road!

There are quality brands out there like Keystone, etc.  and there are ones to stay away from.

I sell motor homes for a manufacturer and believe me there is quality and junk and unfortunately it is up to the consumer to notice the difference!!!!!!

napalm
napalm

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »

For those that have toy haulers, what are things that you'd change?  What about things you find now you really like?  Eventually we think we'll head the same route, so we're looking for all the ideas we can hear.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »

Is My toyhauler overkill?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

Overkill for my Bike?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »

Six gun we have a 28' (32 overall) work and play tag along. I pull it with a F350 crew cab deisel. We have not slept in it as of yet. "V" is on the war path. She loves to camp and ride so it is perfect for the 2 of us.

As Naplam stated look at the tie downs. I have condors in ours they are bolted through the plywood floor but have 6X6 steel plates on the underside. We have made the purchase of most of the items needed for the maiden voyage. I really can't wait to try it out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:20:06 PM »

Six gun we have a 28' (32 overall) work and play tag along. I pull it with a F350 crew cab deisel. We have not slept in it as of yet. "V" is on the war path. She loves to camp and ride so it is perfect for the 2 of us.

As Naplam stated look at the tie downs. I have condors in ours they are bolted through the plywood floor but have 6X6 steel plates on the underside. We have made the purchase of most of the items needed for the maiden voyage. I really can't wait to try it out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Dawg,
You and V are gonna love it.  We first thought of a toyhauler when we saw an 18ft tag along work and play at an RV show in Fredericksburg last year.  Almost bought it until we saw a Forrest River 30 ft tag along with a separate garage at the same show, then we were going to buy that.  When we went to a dealership to look at other tag alongs we saw the 5th wheels, and the rest is history, we were hooked on the 5th wheel.  The wheels chock plates are mounted through the floor deck of the garage with steel plates underneath.  The tie down track system is fastened down using every hole alternating one side to the other all the way down the track.  Each track is probably fastened to the deck with over 60 screws...the dealership we bought the trailer from said that they've done it this way in every toy hauler they sell and most of them are sold to Harley riders with bigger bikes.  I was definitely not the first Ultra owner for them.  However I was the first one to have them put the wheel chocks in where you roll into the chock and another piece comes up behind the wheel to essentially lock the bike in an upright position.  Makes it real easy for one person to tie it down.  I secure it enough in the garage, but let the bikes suspension handle the bumps and jolts along with the trailer's.  That combination seems to work real well, as we've taken it out on 4 trips so far and the bike has been nice and secure.  I always check the bike in the garage when we stop for fuel and/or at a rest stop, just to make sure everything is okay.

Cheers, [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »

Red, after you talked about construction I looked at the WW and the walls are made of wood studs.  The Raptor has a metal frame, that has to be stronger.

I've been looking and for the price your rig is about the perfect one to get.

I didn't think about it until someone told me but with the island model you can't get to the kitchen without moving the slide.  I think yours without the island would have a little more utility if you wanted to pull over and make a sandwich.

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »

Red, which company makes the Raptor?  I tried to look up Raptor with no success.
thanks
 [smiley=cherry.gif]

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 08:27:50 PM »

Red, which company makes the Raptor?  I tried to look up Raptor with no success.
thanks
 [smiley=cherry.gif]
The Raptor is made by the Key Performance Division of Keystone.  Here's the website: http://keyperformance-raptor.com/
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »

Red, after you talked about construction I looked at the WW and the walls are made of wood studs.  The Raptor has a metal frame, that has to be stronger.

I've been looking and for the price your rig is about the perfect one to get.

I didn't think about it until someone told me but with the island model you can't get to the kitchen without moving the slide.  I think yours without the island would have a little more utility if you wanted to pull over and make a sandwich.
That's one of the area where they saved weight.  Instead of having wood studs, they use an aluminum frame and the sides are an integral part of the frame, so it give a lighter but stronger structure.  I've never seen the 37 ft Raptor with the slides in so I can't tell you if there's much room when the slides are in (that model has three slides).  There's plenty of room in the 36 ft Raptor with the slides in.  Room to make a sandwich and sit down in the dining area to eat it.  We've done that.  Pull into a rest stop, fire up the generator, turn on the A/C, the refrigerator is already on and running on LP so it's nice and cool and we can sit in comfort in the trailer and have lunch...it's pretty nice and no one hassles you at the rest stops....we're very happy with it, and like I said earlier, already are lining up camp sites for the summer....
Cheers,  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »

Your thoughts.

Here's my thoughts Dude,

Assuming you've already bought a motorcycle
A) Get yourself a bigass Clearview Windshield
B) Get yourself a set of fairing lowers
C) Get yourself some LLBean flannel lined jeans
D) Get yourself some good quality riding leathers
E) Get yourself some good quality rain gear
F) Get yourself some water-resistant riding boots
G) get yourself several pairs of gloves for different temps
H) Get yourself a quality full face helmet

That should all add up to a couple grand.

THEN GO RIDE THE SOB

Big B

PS
      If you didn't want my opinion you shouldn't have asked

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 04:29:27 AM »

Here's my thoughts Dude,

THEN GO RIDE THE SOB

Big B

PS

BB, I like your opinion.  Been thinking I might need a couple more pair of gloves.  Got the rest, thanks.  Just made me look for a couple of minutes, thats all.   ;)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 04:33:26 AM »

Here's my thoughts Dude,

THEN GO RIDE THE SOB

Big B

PS
Spidey,
Good checklist....got all of that and then some.
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »

A thread popped up from WFP back in February of 2005 elsewhere here on a toy hauler.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1108130075/12#12

I think this would be the CVO version

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »

How about this one from Newmar called the AllStar.  Can be had for about $270K
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:44:17 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »

They had one of those at the NY MC Show last Saturday....
How about this one from Newmar called the AllStar.  Can be had for about $270K

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »

Kibbi...the  Motorhome with garages...

/Bill
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:10:44 PM by WFP »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:51 PM »

/Bill

Bill

Those are cool!
We looked at those and really considered one but the final decision was based on what would be better,
Investing in an asset that appreciates or one that doesn't!

That made it an easy decision. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »

I used to think those things were ridiculously expensive and wondered how anyone could justify one.  

Now having this new house under construction they don't seem so bad comparatively.......damn it is scary to think like that.

Bill, it seems like you have way too much knowledge on these....almost ready to pull the trigger?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »

I own a boat...talk about depreciation!

Bill

Those are cool!
We looked at those and really considered one but the final decision was based on what would be better,
Investing in an asset that appreciates or one that doesn't!

That made it an easy decision. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »

Not soon...when I retire and sell the boat...not that it will be worth anything, just no longer pouring money into the hole in the water!

But I am always looking!

/Bill

I used to think those things were ridiculously expensive and wondered how anyone could justify one.  

Now having this new house under construction they don't seem so bad comparatively.......damn it is scary to think like that.

Bill, it seems like you have way too much knowledge on these....almost ready to pull the trigger?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »

Not soon...when I retire and sell the boat...not that it will be worth anything, just no longer pouring money into the hole in the water!

But I am always looking!

/Bill

I'll buy your worthless hole in the water, park it outside my family's estate on Sebago Lake in Maine and you can go buy your motorhome. How's that for a deal. What're we talkin here 10 , 15 years from now ?

B B

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

Hey Spiderman, you forgot to add studded tires, for when you run into ice!  "Like on the way back from Daytona!!!!!   Funny...but the point of the toyhauler is for other reasons than you state (Ride the SOB.)

My good friend had is hand built custom Road King ripped off at  Little Sturgis last summer.  It was sitting among 1000 other bikes and had an alarm.  So just think how vunerable you'll be at a motel.

Don't get me wrong we love to ride, but there ain't no way my ole' lady is going to ride to Canada and back on a bike with the amount of room it has for her primpen stuff.  Not in this life time.   Yeah, I thought about tradin her as well (the wife.)

I have an American Ledgend trailer to pull behind the SEUC when that type of trip warrants.

The toy hauler gives you the ability to take the bike on trips that would not ordinarly take it, hence you have the oppourtunity to ride as well.  PLus it gets you away from the house and out at the campgrounds but you ain't sleeping in a sleeping bag.

I spent 24.5 years in the Army so my laying on the ground in a sleeping bag IS OVER!  I'll say that twice "OVER"

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

Not a bad guess...maybe 13yrs, 1 mo and 4 days...but who counts...

I'll buy your worthless hole in the water, park it outside my family's estate on Sebago Lake in Maine and you can go buy your motorhome. How's that for a deal. What're we talkin here 10 , 15 years from now ?

B B

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »

We've looked at the Raptors too and that's my retirement plan.  Load up the bike, take off somewhere, find a place we like, setup camp, do day rides on the bike until we've seen everything we want to see, load up the camper and head for the next stop... life is good...  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Bagger

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »

Hey Spiderman, you forgot to add studded tires, for when you run into ice!  "Like on the way back from Daytona!!!!!   Funny...but the point of the toyhauler is for other reasons than you state (Ride the SOB.)

My good friend had is hand built custom Road King ripped off at  Little Sturgis last summer.  It was sitting among 1000 other bikes and had an alarm.  So just think how vunerable you'll be at a motel.

Don't get me wrong we love to ride, but there ain't no way my ole' lady is going to ride to Canada and back on a bike with the amount of room it has for her primpen stuff.  Not in this life time.   Yeah, I thought about tradin her as well (the wife.)

I have an American Ledgend trailer to pull behind the SEUC when that type of trip warrants.

The toy hauler gives you the ability to take the bike on trips that would not ordinarly take it, hence you have the oppourtunity to ride as well.  PLus it gets you away from the house and out at the campgrounds but you ain't sleeping in a sleeping bag.

I spent [highlight]24.5 years in the Army so my laying on the ground in a sleeping bag IS OVER!  I'll say that twice "OVER"[/highlight]

You had snivel gear??????? :o

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:36 PM »

Not a bad guess...maybe 13yrs, 1 mo and 4 days...but who counts...

[size=16]Let the depreciation begin![/size]

" Hey honey, you know that SeaRay we always dreamed about ? Well in another 13 years, 1 months and 4 days it's finally gonna be ours "

Sixgun,
          I've got an artificial hip and an artificial knee. Ain't no way I'm sleepin on the ground. Lots of great 5 star hotels. Bill and Anne Fedex stuff to various destinations and ship back the laundry and ride, ride, ride. Great idea for when my wife actually gets enough vacation time to join me. Point is that if it's too cold to ride it to wherever you're going, it's gonna be too cold to ride when you get there. I ride I-40 east/west in the spring months and on up to I-70, 80 and 90 in the summer, but have to stick to I-10 in the winter. There's always a way if there's a will. You miss a lot of what it's really about trailering. And for the amount of time you're gonna use it, hotels have got to be cheaper as opposed to payments or cash up front. Like I said, you posted an open invitation for folks to put in their $0.02 and I put in mine. No disrespect intended.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:40:22 PM by SPIDERMAN »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 07:50:09 PM »

Six, just carry your chain if you are concerned with ice. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:51:08 PM by Rjob749 »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »

I still would love an RV Myself...just so I don't have to stop when Anne needs a rest room!

When we come back from visiting family in Norfolk, we often leave at 0300...I have driven 450 miles before stopping (for gas) because Anne was asleep for 400 of it!  With an RV...

The worst part is, when we do stop, she will come out of the rest area with a new 44 oz. cup of soda...making me stop again in an hour.

At least on the bike, the fuel tank only let's us travel so far...

/Bill

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »

So just think how vunerable you'll be at a motel.

What.....a problem in the parking lot.........

Nothing like a sound nights sleep.

Six, sure is nice to pull the rig over and climb back into that warm berth.  My wife and I pushed for home one time and about 3 hours out of town just knew we better not try for home, pulled into the rest stop on the Interstate late and fired up the generator and A/C, 5 hours later we were rested and on the road. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:50 PM »

Are we going to compare gun safe pictures? You gotta love the shooting sports!

Spiderman, that's exactly what I wanted to hear...that's why I posted the topic.  My best friend says the same thing you do but I'm hard headed and will probably get one anyway.  It's alot cheaper to spend $70,000.00 on a truck & 5th wheel than it is shipping a few FedEx packages. :)

If the weather is crap when I get where ever it is, I can use the truck.

When I'm at the in-laws I can live in the Toy Hauler and drive the bike around in the day.  I will never have to go inside but can say I went.  PLus it's my safe haven from all the family rugrats.

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

Rjob749, you need to get a Black rifle in there...it's not complete yet.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »

Are we going to compare gun safe pictures? You gotta love the shooting sports!

Spiderman, that's exactly what I wanted to hear...that's why I posted the topic.  My best friend says the same thing you do but I'm hard headed and will probably get one anyway.  It's alot cheaper to spend $70,000.00 on a truck & 5th wheel than it is shipping a few FedEx packages. :)

If the weather is crap when I get where ever it is, I can use the truck.

When I'm at the in-laws I can live in the Toy Hauler and drive the bike around in the day.  I will never have to go inside but can say I went.  PLus it's my safe haven from all the family rugrats.

SixGun - I think its a great idea. My father-in-law has a 36' Holiday Rambler RV  (you probably remember who used to own them?) which we borrow 2 or 3 times a year and have a blast.  We only go for a long weekend with the kids but usually go to a lake campsites (trinity lake or lake almanor) and rent a boat.  If I were retired, i would seriously think about getting one of these diesel pushers!!

best

Free

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »

Rjob749, you need to get a Black rifle in there...it's not complete yet.

In the back middle is a black synthetic stocked 378 Weatherby Mag.  I was thinking I need something like you are referring to for varmints though, fast and flat.

Plus you can just get away from it all sometimes too...........don't forget your rock crawler

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »

Red says he has room for two ultras in that Raptor.  So I figure you could put a bike and a 4 wheeler (ATV) in there.  I guess you can drive (ATV) them at most campgrounds can't you?

I tell ya...those Keystone Raptors are looking to be the best value for the money.

Right now in my life I can't justify a $150,000 Diesel pusher to sit in the yard.

I have to have a truck so I can partially justify a 5th wheel sitting around.  The depreciation on the Toy Haulers is not to awful bad.  RV's on the other are a black hole.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »

Red says he has room for two ultras in that Raptor.  So I figure you could put a bike and a 4 wheeler (ATV) in there.  I guess you can drive (ATV) them at most campgrounds can't you?

I tell ya...those Keystone Raptors are looking to be the best value for the money.

Right now in my life I can't justify a $150,000 Diesel pusher to sit in the yard.

I have to have a truck so I can partially justify a 5th wheel sitting around.  The depreciation on the Toy Haulers is not to awful bad.  RV's on the other are a black hole.
It for the exact reason you mentioned Six that we bought a 5th wheel and truck.  The truck and my Ultra are my primary means of transportation, my wife has her car...if we had bought an RV, I wouldn't have a truck and the RV would be lying fallow in storage for probably 7 months out of the year (at least until we retire).  This way, the trailer sits in storage and I still get to use the truck.  It's kind of a win-win if you're going to do any sort of trailering.  The big pushers are nice, but we won't consider one of those until we retire and know that we'll be using it a lot more than what we are using the trailer now.  We're very happy with the Raptor...look around at all the different toy haulers and I think you'll agree.  They are probably the best bang for the buck, and they are solid trailers.  We both love riding the Ultra, but I definitely can't picture momma riding on a 1300 mile trip to Minnesota on the bike... we can take the trailer, set up camp in Minnesota and do a lot of day trips and at night return back to our domicile....I can break out the barbeque, and we can have some steaks, or burgers, or dogs, or whatever we feel like, then after meal I can go out in the air conditioned garage and polish up the bike after a day's ride and have her ready for tomorrow.  I know the old "die-hard biker" attitude, ride to where ever you're going...I used to be that way and never believed in trailering, until I got that toyhauler....it changes your whole outlook on trailering.  And will I ever break even or save money over a hotel and eating out all the time?  Who knows, I don't really care, we both enjoy doing it, and that's all that matters.  Plus there's nothing sweeter than dropping the rear ramp, starting up the ride when it's in the garage, and seeing the neighbors looks (mostly always approving and envious) when you back it out.  I've gotten into more conversations with the "neighbors" when I've brought the bike out...

Red
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:30:18 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 09:58:33 AM »

Red, do you that shock absorber on your 5th wheel hitch?  I'm talking about the arm of the trailer, I don't know the proper nomenclature for that item.  Someone told me they wouldn't be without it.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »

Red, do you that shock absorber on your 5th wheel hitch?  I'm talking about the arm of the trailer, I don't know the proper nomenclature for that item.  Someone told me they wouldn't be without it.
Are you talking about the Air Ride hitch pin?  No, I don't have it on my trailer.  I was going to have my dealer install it, and they told me that they install very few of them and in their opinion they weren't necessary.  So I didn't spend the extra grand to have it put on.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »

Overkill for my Bike?
             Wow, looks like a perfect bike for me.
WOODY

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »

Red, this is what I was talking about.  I don't know how to make a picture show up in the forum or I would have posted it that way.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 10:17:57 PM »

Red, this is what I was talking about.  I don't know how to make a picture show up in the forum or I would have posted it that way.

That's one of about 4 or 5 different air/shock assisted pin boxes.  They supposedly take the little extra bumps and jolts away from your 5th wheel hitch.  My dealer told me that they don't sell very many of them and that everyone that hasn't gotten one, hasn't wished that they had.  I guess unless you know what it's like to have one compared to not having one, I don't know how you'd know the difference.  But based on him telling me that, I didn't invest the extra $1k to have one put on.  I'd like to know if there is a difference, but beings I don't, I went by what he told me. 

That looks like it's a Winner's Circle 5th Wheel.  Am I right?

Red
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:19:31 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »

It's a Raptor 3612

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »

It's a Raptor 3612
Six,
I saw that when I went to the Ebay site.  The reason I wondered is that the Winner's Circle uses the ventilation screen on the generator door just like that 04 Raptor does.  They don't have that on the newer ones.

Red

2012 FLHXSE3

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »

Six,
I saw that when I went to the Ebay site.  The reason I wondered is that the Winner's Circle uses the ventilation screen on the generator door just like that 04 Raptor does.  They don't have that on the newer ones.

Red

Sometimes you guys just see too many things in a picture   :orange:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

But I am always looking!

/Bill

Bill,

Every time my wife says why don't we do this or why don't we do that or lets do this to the house I have to remind her that she won't let me sell the "asset" we have that cost $20K a year "if it doesn't leave the dock".

Not to mention that 5 years ago it was worth more then we paid for it and now it is worth 50K less  :(

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »

/Bill

Now this would be cool. Same size as my ladder truck so it would be easy to drive!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:22:04 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

Here's my thoughts Dude,

THEN GO RIDE THE SOB

Big B

PS

Hey Brian, some of us just don't have that luxury. Fact is, my wife would love to do all the traveling by bike, she even use to have her own, but an auto accident 21 years ago and multiple surgeries prevents her from doing anything more then an hour or two at a time.

For our MV trip last she spent most of the time in the truck laying down in the back.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 21 queries.