CVO Technical > Trailers / toyhaulers

warranty when towing

(1/4) > >>

stodz:
just wondering if the No Warranty when pulling a trailer has ever came up with any of you who tow, I am wanting a trailer but our local dealer will not honor any warranty claims when the bike has a hitch. Thanks in advance Stodz

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: stodz on April 30, 2016, 11:17:02 PM ---just wondering if the No Warranty when pulling a trailer has ever came up with any of you who tow, I am wanting a trailer but our local dealer will not honor any warranty claims when the bike has a hitch. Thanks in advance Stodz

--- End quote ---

A few here have reported being denied warranty or extended warranty coverage due to the dealership or the service contractor's rep seeing a hitch.  Other's have reported having service successfully completed.  The language in each agreement is specific though.  Service definitely can be denied under warranty or extended warranty.  They don't hide that fact even a little bit.  So it's a craps shoot at best; and one you're all too often likely to lose.

JCZ:
If your dealer has that attitude I'd be looking for another dealership.....even if I didn't have a trailer.

Personally, it has not been an issue for me (this is my third Bushtec) however, I've heard the stories....especially with the aftermarket service agreements.

I find it pretty interesting that Harley feels our bikes can drag around a side car without affecting the warranty but a much light trailer with two wheels under it does.  I believe it's like the hocus-pokus with synthetic oil.  For years they made all kinds of flat claims (it's to slick.....it'll put flat spots on the parts rubbing together, etc.).  They made those claims all the way up until they put their label on a bottle of synthetic oil and then all of a sudden synthetic oil is fine....as long as it has the MoCo label on it and they're making the money off of it.

The same with trikes until they started making trikes again.  If Bushtec ran at the MoCo and they worked a deal.....all of a sudden trailers would be OK if it  were a Bush-Davidson trailer. :nixweiss:

RGlideKid:
I agree with Don and JC, and I'll throw in my .02 worth.  If you have a warranty issue with something completely unrelated to the towing of a trailer, the dealer would be foolish to call out a  "trailer infraction" and not do the repairs under warranty,  Like JC says, it's definitely time to switch dealers (but not without letting them know that's why their losing business to Indian and that you'll be posting the dealer name on every forum on the internet).  Hey, if they can play dirty, so can I.
If the dealer balks at doing the repairs on a tranny or engine problem, that might be a different story.  Again, I have to wonder how Indian will handle this situation.  I had 40k miles on the bike I towed my Bushtec with, and never had a warranty issue with it that would have been attributable to towing a trailer. 
To me, Harley is splitting hairs on this subject, and isn't smart enough to see it's bad business.   
"And professing themselves to be wise in their own eyes, they became fools..."

JCZ:
I had over 60k on my 89 Ultra Classic, pulling my first Bushtec and warranty work was never a question.  But the MoCo has lowered their quality control and specs since then (ie. acceptable crank run out tolerance).   :nixweiss:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version