Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 1099 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Fuel
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:08:53 AM »

While talking to a Harley technician today he mentioned that it’s good to run fuel with ethanol in it during the riding season, where as the non-oxygenated gasoline is good for storage. Has anyone heard of running high-octane (91) Or more with ethanol was a good thing .? I believe his reasoning was that it would clean better and leave less carbon build up behind, where as the non oxygenated  gas was probably better for storage.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:43:36 AM »

There is not uniform agreement but there is significant research showing that ethanol is terrible for aluminum engines and fuel system components. Here is one example:
Is Ethanol Bad For Motorcycles?
acarta21Rider Guides

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

During the riding season a tank of fuel is purchased and used up in a matter of days. Then you refill with fresh stuff and repeat. As long as you are using the fuel up in this short amount of time you are gonna be fine. Oxygenated fuel (most likely oxygenated with ethanol) has a corrosive component to it. That is why you never want to store your bike with oxygenated fuel. Always store your bike with pure gas over the non-ridable months. I believe this is what your tech was getting at. Talk of cleanliness and carbon build-up is non-sense in any modern fuel-injected 4-stroke engine. (assuming it is mapped correctly) The problem with the topic of ethanol is it is so polluted with politics that a conversation about just the fuel is almost impossible to have. Here's my bottom line: A good martini should contain 90% ethyl alcohol, a good gallon of gas should contain 0%.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 02:12:24 PM »

Non ethanol gas is finally starting to show up locally at regular stations. Unfortunately it's labeled as Recreational Gas aimed at boaters so it's about $1.50 per gallon higher than ethanol gas.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »

Non ethanol gas is finally starting to show up locally at regular stations. Unfortunately it's labeled as Recreational Gas aimed at boaters so it's about $1.50 per gallon higher than ethanol gas.

sent using Tapatalk
And in my area, finding premium non-ethanol is about impossible.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:56:42 PM »

We now have 2 stations within 5 miles that sell non ethanol.  One has Regular, the other has Premium.  Price is $.50 or so above 10% ethanol on each.  Use the premium in the bike as much as possible.  Use the regular for small gas engines.  Have not had a single small gas engine fuel problem since I started buying the non ethanol regular. Before - even with fuel treatment - had fuel issues.  On the bike it seems to get better gas mileage.  Ethanol is a tremendous waste of resources.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 09:20:16 AM »

We now have 2 stations within 5 miles that sell non ethanol.  One has Regular, the other has Premium.  Price is $.50 or so above 10% ethanol on each.  Use the premium in the bike as much as possible.  Use the regular for small gas engines.  Have not had a single small gas engine fuel problem since I started buying the non ethanol regular. Before - even with fuel treatment - had fuel issues.  On the bike it seems to get better gas mileage.  Ethanol is a tremendous waste of resources.
You (anybody) can treat ethanol laced gas all you want with whatever you can find and it will do NO good. Ethanol is corrosive and it absorbs moisture. You cannot change that with some $7/ oz. potion from AutoZone. Now we have moved from politics to marketing. Buying elixirs to fix the problems of ethanol is equivalent to buying shampoo that will grow hair on your bald head or supplements promising a big d*ck.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »

You (anybody) can treat ethanol laced gas all you want with whatever you can find and it will do NO good. Ethanol is corrosive and it absorbs moisture. You cannot change that with some $7/ oz. potion from AutoZone. Now we have moved from politics to marketing. Buying elixirs to fix the problems of ethanol is equivalent to buying shampoo that will grow hair on your bald head or supplements promising a big d*ck.

Yeah, noticed the ethanol problem first many years back with a boat motor that had carbs rebuilt.  Treatments for ethanol are worthless. Best to run the tank/motor dry if stored for a long time unused.  A huge waste of resources & a wasteful fed program to support it - the "perfect" fed program.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »

Those of you that are fortunate enough to have access to NON-ethanol fuel need to do everything you can to promote the station that sells it. That station has to place a special order with their distributor for a tanker to deliver that fuel. Yes, it is expensive and that cost is passed onto the consumer. It is illegal to sell NON-ethanol gas in the county that I live in but it is NOT illegal in the county just west of me. I buy all my gas (for my bikes, sleds, SxS, tractor, etc.) at that station. I asked a worker at the station one day who the owner was. It just so happened the owner was there. I introduced myself to her and thanked her for going through the trouble to offer NON-ethanol gas. I told her I will always be a loyal customer as long as she sells the "good" gas. I run a Facebook page for a Snowmobile Club Alliance in my County and I post the names and addresses of stations that sell NON-ethanol gas so folks know where to get it. Also, the AMA has some excellent info on the fight against ethanol on their website.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 07:27:26 AM »

In TN near most lakes, Non-Ethanol Premium is usually available.  My bikes see more non ethanol fuel than the stuff with it.  My yard equipment never gets ethanol.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.