Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2006 is the start of the end  (Read 2532 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
2006 is the start of the end
« on: May 14, 2005, 05:22:32 PM »

I don't know if this is really news to anyone or not.  But I was at my dealer today, looking at the "top secret" color charts for next year.  And I learned it really is the begining of the end of carbs!  The model listing for dynas read as follows....

FXDI
FXDLI
FXDWGI
etc, etc......

You get the point.... only dynas for 06, but probably ALL for 07.

AND got further confirmation on the ACTUAL chopper model.  No, not a thunder mountain... a REAL HD chopper (5 years after the fad is dead... better late than never). [smiley=laugh.gif]

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 2006 is the start of the end
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:45:07 PM »

A few weeks ago my buddy at the dealership told me that the only model running a carb in 2006 would be the Sporty. In 2007, everything will be injected.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:56:57 PM »

Thanks Laker
Was just getting ready to ask about the Sporty's.
Bet that's gonna add 5 to 6 hundred to the entry level bike. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 10:23:14 PM »

Thanks Laker
Was just getting ready to ask about the Sporty's.
Bet that's gonna add 5 to 6 hundred to the entry level bike. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The FI setups are worth a few hundred bucks more than a carb setup.  We all know the biggest reasons for the change are ability to meet EPA standards and to more accurately control performance/efficiency.  But an important byproduct will be the early term satisfaction had by those new riders HD is so hoping to attract.  Someone who hasn't dealt with a bike before (especially in cooler weather) will be a much happier camper with a fuel injected machine than he or she would be with a carb'd bike.  Basically they won't even have to think about it.  With a carb you actually have to think about it (at least a little).

I wonder how stupid people used to manage the litany of efforts required in just the right order on some of the old kick start models  [smiley=laugh.gif] .

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:06 PM »

TwoLane

I said 5 to 6 hundred increase cause (and I may be wrong) the injected option on my 2000 FLHTC"I" was about 800 bucks. And I'm thinking the same option on my 2003 FLHTC"I" was 600. I would hope your few hundred $ is closer. But we always have to consider that MOCO profit margin thing!

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:32 PM »

I just wonder if there is any correlation between having to learn how to crank the old bikes and a person having the necessary coordination to safely operate a 2-wheeled vechicle?  I remember a club I rode w/ once had a 'rule' that if you were to inebriated to successfully manuver through the starting sequence of your 'chopper', then no one else would start it for you.  .....   hence, you didn't drive/ride past a certain point of intoxication.  Kinda like the cars w/ the built-in breatherlizer that disables the ignition if a reading is too high.   ????   I do think that the electric starter was a wonderful thing in regards to m-cycle sales as it opened up the possibility of riding to a lot more people.    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:14:35 PM »

TwoLane

I said 5 to 6 hundred increase cause (and I may be wrong) the injected option on my 2000 FLHTC"I" was about 800 bucks. And I'm thinking the same option on my 2003 FLHTC"I" was 600. I would hope your few hundred $ is closer. But we always have to consider that MOCO profit margin thing!

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yeah, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt for a better margin of scale using EFI on ALL the bikes....  But it is HD we're talking about; so who knows.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 11:20:52 PM »

I just wonder if there is any correlation between having to learn how to crank the old bikes and a person having the necessary coordination to safely operate a 2-wheeled vechicle?  I remember a club I rode w/ once had a 'rule' that if you were to inebriated to successfully manuver through the starting sequence of your 'chopper', then no one else would start it for you.  .....   hence, you didn't drive/ride past a certain point of intoxication.  Kinda like the cars w/ the built-in breatherlizer that disables the ignition if a reading is too high.   ????   I do think that the electric starter was a wonderful thing in regards to m-cycle sales as it opened up the possibility of riding to a lot more people.    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]   spyder

Think how totally wasted one would have to be for that rule to work today.  A guy leaves the bike unlocked to begin with.  It's EFI with electric starter.  If he can get is his leg over the saddle he's basically good to go (and fall down).

Actually out in Garden City, KS one evening I witnessed a guy fail that test.  He was too drunk to aim where he was trying to swing or he'd have made a go at hitting me too.  His girlfriend (almost as snockered as he was) was trying her best to help him get is leg over the saddle.  Between them they couldn't manage it in either of the first three attempts.  Thinking the problem would take care of itself I was just watching and enjoying until she actually did his leg over the saddle and then got on herself; backwards.  That's when I reached down and grabbed the plug wires.  For doing that he tried to take a swing at but just fell off the bike again in making the effort.  Bike fell over too.  Girlfriend was really pissed and swearing very impressively.  I just left the plug wires with he bartender and went on my way  [smiley=beerchug.gif] .  As I remember now that was actually a fun night.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:22:58 PM by twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 11:29:02 PM »

As I remember now that was actually a fun night.

Now, that's a funny story.  You can't make up chit like that.  Has to be true.  Har!   [smiley=laugh.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 08:50:41 AM »

About fuel injection and ease of starting:  As a carry-over Evo+carburetor guy, all I've got to say is how amazed I was watching all you FI guys at Soggy Valley one-touching your starter and bang, instantly the motor's up and purring.  Me, I've gotten used to the choke-start-spit-die, half choke-start-spit-cough-die, start-spit-cough-cough-fire-warm up for five minutes before riding routine.  And I used to do all the above with a kick-start Triumph, so I'm fascinated by the idea of fuel injection.  Wow, does that look easy!

About TwoLane's story regarding the inebriated couple.  Yep, I've seen it too, although not as obviously impaired.  At a local bike dealer/watering hole, I've seen folks wobble a bit as they climbed aboard, cranked up and veered out of the parking lot.  I'm generally the only one there drinking tea or coke as I just won't drink and ride, but plenty do.  All the police would have to do to generate a whole lot of tickets is stake out the road in front of this place on a pretty Saturday evening, and stop riders as they left.  It would bring a big cry of outrage, I'm sure, but honestly, some of those folks need to sit a while before riding.

Good for TwoLane for coming up with a way to possibly save two lives...even if it did make them mad.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 11:28:55 AM »

even if it did make them mad.

It didn't so much make him mad as just make him fall down (again).

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:18:31 PM »

For 2006 all bikes will have California emmissions as well,  times they are a changing guys and gals.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:32:45 PM »

Which...unless I'm mistaken, roughly translates into " buy the hotrods you want for the next ten years now, 'cause this is you're last chance!"    [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.