Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: New Electric Harley?  (Read 11132 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: New Electric Harley?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »

Patent on the sound, now that wouldn't surprise me at all.

BigLew

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

Lew, they actually attempted it in the '90s when the asian models were coming out with twins on single pin cranks.  Didn't fly but they did try.... ;D

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

If this is not a really stupidly high priced machine, like the Volt, I could see this bike selling. Commuters in big cities that have 30 - 40 mile commutes, California where lane splitting is legal could be a big market for short commuters.

I do not see it ever being a touring bike or anything but a commuter bike but it is interesting to see HD execs working to bring new products to the lineup.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »

Man, that exhaust system sounds awful!   :soapbox:       ???   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Re: Project Live Wire - The New Harley
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »

Wow, Harley is going quiet! Maybe you'll have to add a cloths pin and a playing card to the spokes to make noise!
The "TAZMUN"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »

Man, that exhaust system sounds awful!   :soapbox:       ???
Greg turn the radio up! LOL

BigLew

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »

The following info is from gizmoto.com

It's probably a good thing that the bike we see here isn't the final production model. While it looks admittedly awesome, its performance specs are distinctly…unimpressive.

According to Harley, the LiveWire's AC Induction motor makes 74bhp and 52lb-ft of torque. That's enough to give it a 0-60 time of less than four seconds, but only a disappointing 92mph top speed. Even less encouraging is the range, which stands at just 53 miles. No other specs are available at this time.

To put those numbers into perspective, the Sportster 883 — The Motor Company's cheapest American-made motorcycle — makes 54lb-ft of torque. While the single-speed LiveWire will develop its max torque from 0 rpm, it's basically locked in 4th gear, where the Sportster is able to use its five gears to multiply accelerative force at the rear wheel. Expect outright performance from the two bikes to be similar.

The LiveWire is, of course, left in the dust of other electric motorcycles currently on-sale. The Zero Motorcycles SR makes 106lb-ft, for example, while the $59,000 Mission RS will reach 150mph and is the fastest production motorcycle currently on-sale, by lap times and in real world riding conditions. Both those bikes hail from the Bay Area.

Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »

Hey Russ I think that this could become very interesting if Harley decides to pursue. They have the manufacturing ability and the resources to make a bike like the West Coast guys at a price point quite a bit less, if they wanted too.

BigLew

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

You are absolutely correct Lew......It will be a few more years but I'm sure it will happen...
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »

^^ Little single piston rear and only a single smallish-looking dual piston front brake.  If the brakes are any indication it's going to leave the best part of the crotch out of "crotch-rocket."

I'm not positive but i think the electric system inherently has some braking capacity built in. These are test mules too, not production bikes.

I'd love to have one, wonder what they would cost? I would think that someone could come up with a way to use the wheels rolling to help recharge the battery.
BigLew

It does use regenerative charging when braking the Yahoo article i read said.

This is obviously targeted towards the urban bike commuter and i'll bet this is the tip of the iceberg. This ties straight into the Street series and marketing HD to a new audience.... the Sportster hasn't been cutting it bringing new younger riders into the HD brand. I think this is a very shrewd and wise move on Harley's part. Not everyone can afford (or need) a $35,000 CVO 700lb bike.... but you can bring younger people into the fold and maybe later they will step up into other models.

Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »

I got a quick peek at this on the news today. One thing is for sure ... I bet this would be the most reliable HD they will ever build.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »

I got a quick peek at this on the news today. One thing is for sure ... I bet this would be the most reliable HD they will ever build.

Keep it moving Ducati! Traitor! LMAO  :coolblue:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »

When it rains the LW Sparkster will be known instead as The Shocker.

Q - What type of pad is best for a garage floor to prevent staining from a LiveWire leaking battery acid?

A - Harley part #LW45T14-3 Battery Acid Retention Receptacle
(This is revision 3, the first 2 versions of this receptacle leaked.)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »

Nice to see HD show some forward thinking engineering but electric vehicles do nothing for me personally,  range is to limited and as far as being "zero" emissions -- how are you generating the electric power? Certainly not out of thin air.. it seems to me that the carbon emissions are just moved upstream to the power plants and nuclear power comes with it's own set of public policy and waste disposal issues.

All that said if you can  accept the limits of EV's then go ahead and ride/drive one.

They're  just not for me....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »

All I can say, "Shocking, just Shocking!"
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.