Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: "Hawg Wired" 150 watt in fairing amplifier kit  (Read 13830 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: "Hawg Wired" 150 watt in fairing amplifier kit
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 10:07:41 PM »

The cable is flexible enough that it's remainder easily tucks in down beside the batter for a clean and unobstructed installation.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 10:10:31 PM »

The same cable comes forward inside the fairing alongside the primary harness.  See the bright red cable here connecting to the power control unit.  The blue wire next to it is the switched power connection that goes to the cigarette lighter.  There is a third connector just to the left of the blue wire.  That is for the system ground.  This is also supplied in a black version of the heavy gauge power cable you see here in the red cable.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

Here are the power, switched power, and ground cables connected to the power control unit.  The four wires connected to the unit in the center are the audio inputs.  A pair goes to connect to the original speakers wires on each side of the fairing.  The RCA plugs farther to the right aren't used unless you had an aftermarket radio with RCA pin outs.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 10:14:39 PM »

There is an easily accessible ground point below the radio and to the left (as your facing it from the front of the bike).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »

The connector you see here laying across the power control unit was a problem with the unit mounted roughly even with the front edge of the radio.  It's the XM connector and it kept the fairing from setting down.  Harness length and locations were such that it really won't lay anyplace either.  Once you find out you need to the power control unit does move about 3/4" back from the front edge of the radio. This allows the connector seen here to fall down in front of the radio and nothing rubs anyplace.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:08:38 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 10:22:25 PM »

Here is one other place I varied from the installation instructions.  Notice the stock speaker wires (the ones that would normally plug on to the speakers).  They must connect to the audio input feeds from the center of the power control unit.  

The install guide would have you make this connection with a butt connector.  I didn't want to cut the stock harness to make the splice so, instead, crimped male spade terminals on the leads from the power control unit.  This allowed the speaker wires to plug on to the audio input leads but did so without cutting any stock harness points on this bike. Because of this the unit could now be removed from the bike at any time, the original connections all put back as they were, and nothing would look like it had ever been there.

Aside from the speaker wire to power control unit connections seen here also see the speaker outputs from the amplifier units themselves to the speakers themselves.  Again, this is mirrored on each side of the bike.  Be sure you keep proper polarity on all the speaker leads.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:11:57 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »

When all the new hardware, wiring and cabling is in place this is what it looks like inside the fairing when along with the 06 radio and XM module.  You'd have a fair amount less mess with an 05 and earlier radio installation.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »

For the four of you that have so far spoken to me about approaching Hawg Wired for a group purchase of this unit please know that I have contacted them.  Their only response to date has been "let us think about it and get back to you."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 11:38:33 PM »

Man--that was thorough!

So--how long did it take to do----what was the entire cost--and do you think you got your monies worth????

PEZ

Pez,
I'd actually contacted you about your upcoming amp package before doing this.  You'd responded saying it wouldn't play well (for some reason) with the 06 radio.  Since I'd swapped in the 06 radio already I went ahead with this package rather than waiting on yours.  It was the only thing I found that looked like it was well designed and made, did what I wanted, and fit inside the fairing.  That it was a digital unit was a big plus for the obvious reasons too.

The unit is pricey.  Was $600.00.  But it was the only thing I could find to do what I wanted.  That's why it's called "discretionary income" I guess.  At least in the minimal time I've ridden with the unit installed late this afternoon it works great.  Really just super performance.  I can get a little picky about systems performance sometimes.  No complaints at all on this.  Started working on the bike a few minutes after noon.  Had it on the street a few minutes after 4:00 PM.  Didn't work on it completely during that time.  But most of it.

Also, for anyone interested, you could route the power cable under the tank without pulling the tank.  But I've got a disconnect coupler line on the crossover so the tank can come off easy and without draining fuel.  Hardly added any time to the task and made it easier to secure the cables where I wanted them.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »

Twolanerider, you're not gonna be like those 'thumping road aggrevations' that we all detest so much now, are you?  With all that power, we'll hear your music before the exhaust note.  8-) Har!  spyder   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »

Twolanerider, you're not gonna be like those 'thumping road aggrevations' that we all detest so much now, are you?  With all that power, we'll hear your music before the exhaust note.  8-) Har!  spyder   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Spyder, not with my musical choices.  The really sad part though is that because of the new amp setup I had to install a special DOT approved "rider position maintenance device."   Yeah, a seat belt!  To keep from getting blown right off the fracking saddle  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:56:25 AM by twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 01:03:20 PM »

Not a good trait to admit to, but here goes:  I'm envious!  :-[ Har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »

Great News Members!
I have become a direct dealer with Hawg-Wired!! As soon as I get my pricing info I will be posting information on products and discounts to the members here. Not sure of what can be done for discounts yet but will have info soon!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 01:14:51 PM »

Great News Members!
I have become a direct dealer with Hawg-Wired!! As soon as I get my pricing info I will be posting information on products and discounts to the members here. Not sure of what can be done for discounts yet but will have info soon!

Now that was timing...... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  [smiley=oops.gif]

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 02:05:55 PM »

Hey 2Lane,

Two things:

1. Man you've got one ugly inner fairing.  ;)

2. How does Rush Limbaugh sound with all that extra power?    ;D

Fat Boy

PS: Thank you for all the insight and information you posted in this thread. I bet that was almost as much time and work as the amp install itself. How does the distortion output differ from the stock SEEG radio and the Harmon Kardon upgrade?????
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.