Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92

Author Topic: Ok ..whats everybody look like?  (Read 280722 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Ok ..whats everybody look like?
« Reply #1335 on: May 12, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »

Was just looking at the news and see where the store above burned down this weekend - Fire guts Kentucky's historic Rabbit Hash General Store What a shame, sounds like that was an iconic landmark for that area. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Face, personal friend of mine from long before I got on this forum, is in the picture that you posted above.....is heading up the fundraiser to rebuild Rabbit Hash General Store.  Even though I met him and we rode together in Sacramento many years ago, he's from Rabbit Hash, Ky. and he's living back there again.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rczap

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #1336 on: June 03, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »

The wife and I on the Raider. I will get some new pics with the CVO soon.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #1337 on: June 28, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »

In a place long, long ago.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #1338 on: June 28, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »

In a place long, long ago.
You haven't changed a bit Doc  :) but your bike got a bit chunkier  :huepfenlol2:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1339 on: June 28, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »

Wow would love to have that bike now Doc!

BigLew

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #1340 on: June 28, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »

A Sportster on a Rigid frame, with a Springer!  Classic!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #1341 on: June 28, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »

A Sportster on a Rigid frame, with a Springer!  Classic!  Later--HUBBARD

We never even used to think much about that kind of thing Carl.  Hey, some of us were happy if we simply found enough pieces to bolt together to actually make a bike.  Youth's necessity is today's nostalgia.  Cool bike  :2vrolijk_21: .

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1342 on: June 28, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »

Anything with a motor attracted my attention.

I was a month short of 17 in this picture.  We had a small marina and we also sold Bridgestone motorcycles.  This was my new 175cc Dual Twin.  They were fast for their size but were always a year late in releasing a comparable size to the other Japanese bikes of the time.  Bridgestone's were all rotary valve 2-strokes.

In '80 I had taken a few pilot lessons and had soloed out in a Piper Colt, but ran out of money and time to continue.  So in '82 my buddy and I got the bug to fly on the cheap.  Although this thing set me back $5200.  At the time there was no FAR ruling about pay for flying.  So I bought the upgraded hp and the Budweiser Eagle wings.  I had arranged to fly over events sponsored by the local Bud distributor, like 5k and 10k runs and events etc.  But by the time I got the ultralight the FAA had come out with Part 104 that prohibited flying for hire or even taking money for fuel.  So I had the beast and flew the heck out of it for a couple years.  I had these floats and also made snow skis for the Michigan winters.

Summer of '82 at Higgins Lake in mid Michigan.

That was over the 4th weekend and it was mighty hot.  The advantage of flying over the water was that there were quite a few sunbathers on pontoon boats inside the railing trying to get a FULL tan.  The plane sounded kind of like a boat so they were not too worried about it.  Until they saw me overhead with a big smile on my face.

Oh well those days are gone.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #1343 on: June 28, 2016, 06:22:04 PM »

Dan,

How slowly could you fly in that ultralight?  Wondering how much time you had to sightsee?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #1344 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:51 AM »

Wow would love to have that bike now Doc!

BigLew

Still got it. My son got married on it in a drive through wedding in Vegas and won't give it back to me.  :o

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1345 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »

Dan,

How slowly could you fly in that ultralight?  Wondering how much time you had to sightsee?

In calm wind it would fly at about 18 mph, just barely staying airborne. 

I flew it when I shouldn't have due to the wind, but my ego said hey, it's safe and I know more than other guys that are afraid to fly, so here goes.  Well let me tell you, I've landed going backwards.  I had to have people come out and hold down the ultralight so it would not flip over backwards.  Flying home one time I was at full throttle and was not moving over the ground.  There were also wind shears and I bet I dropped 100' in less than a second.  Talk about white knuckles, I had them big time.

The day that the lake pics were taken I about landed in the top of some trees.  You can see that Higgins Lake has trees all around it.  I was trying to show off for the women and I flew in from the lake and was going to do a wingover right at the shoreline.  Well I was flying well until I got above the tree tops and the wind was going in the opposite direction.  I lost airspeed quickly and while doing my steep banking turn I dropped about 50' and clipped some tree limbs.  Thankfully the guy next door to the right had his sailboat out or I would have hit it on my way back out into the lake.  I landed quickly to calm down a bit.

I also had another time when flying from our horse pasture the day after Christmas in '82.  It was a nice 60 degree day that was about 40 degrees above normal.  I loaded up with 5 gal of spare gas in my seat back pouch and had more clothes on than normal, so I was quite a bit heavier than normal.  It was dead calm.  I sat in a swing seat with just straps going up to the king post above me.  There was no floor, just space between the open aluminium tubing.  So I held my feet on the ground and went to full throttle until I couldn't hold back the ultralight.  I started up the slight incline in the pasture heading toward the barbed wire fence.  Most ultralights have built in down thrust in the propeller drive to keep the nose down while under power, well mine was no exception.  So I'm under full power and heading toward the barbed wire fence and I was not leaving the ground.  I kept going until I had just enough room to stop with my Flintstone foot brakes.  As soon as I let off on the throttle the ultralight left the ground and I was gliding closer to the fence.  I hit the fence and pushed it out about 5'.  After re-stringing the barbed wire to the poles, like any normal guy would do, I taxied the ultralight back down the pasture to about a 50' further starting position to try it all over again.  Albert Einstein once said that “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”  He was wrong and this time I cleared the fence and off I flew for a days flying.

I will say that when flying that contraption your mind was focused entirely on flying and your day's issues just went away.  Riding motorcycles for me is very close to that feeling, except on my bike it's a bit too automatic and I have to fight to stay alert.  Old habits I guess.

If I were to venture into the light aircraft again, I believe that I would be doing a 2-up gyrocopter.  Over the years I've research them and they are about as safe as you can get.  They are always in glide mode with the motor pushing forward against the glide force.  A paraglider is about the same, but they have a lot less maneuverability than a gyrocopter.

Sorry for rambling guys, but this is a "somewhat" sharing info pics etc thread.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1346 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »

Ok I have a few old pictures - Lost most of them.

This is us at a dirt drag rally.  We loved these events!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1347 on: June 29, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »

Don't kill me but this is what I had back then (1979 750F) - This is a Daytona trip I think in 1981 or so.  It was a wet rally.  The trip was two weeks long. Rode to key west and spent several days there and then up to Daytona for Bike Week.  It was a great trip, lots of flesh and alcohol and little sleep!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #1348 on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »

This is my wife playing around for me!  ;)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #1349 on: June 30, 2016, 06:29:24 AM »

This is my wife playing around for me!  ;)

She's making that bike look mighhhhty good  :2vrolijk_21:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.