Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Justice?  (Read 4287 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Justice?
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

USA TODAY.com
Two decades after oil spill, Alaskans still await 'new start'
Tue Feb 26, 12:22 AM ET

1989:
The Exxon Valdez, an oil tanker, runs aground in Prince William Sound, off the Alaskan coast, and spills millions of gallons of oil.

1994:
Federal jury finds in favor of 33,000 fishermen, Native Alaskans and other plaintiffs. It imposes a $5 billion punitive damage award against Exxon.

1997:
Exxon appeals to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

2001:
The court upholds the judgment, but sends it back to the trial judge, telling him to reduce the amount.

2006:
The 9th Circuit cuts the award to $2.5 billion.

Wednesday:
U.S. Supreme Court to hear Exxon's appeal.

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: Justice?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:04:43 AM »

USA TODAY.com

1989:
The Exxon Valdez, an oil tanker, runs aground in Prince William Sound, off the Alaskan coast, and spills millions of gallons of oil.

1994:
Federal jury finds in favor of 33,000 fishermen, Native Alaskans and other plaintiffs. It imposes a $5 billion punitive damage award against Exxon.

1997:

2001:
The court upholds the judgment, but sends it back to the trial judge, telling him to reduce the amount.

2006:

Wednesday:

Unbelievable.......Exxon is one of the most profitable companies in the world!! >:(

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »

Unbelievable.......Exxon is one of the most profitable companies in the world!! >:(

The Golden Rule................He who has the Gold..........Rules.  I wonder if John D. "Jay", Rockefeller IV, or the Rockefeller Foundation, still has Majority Stock in that Corporation?  What a slug.  Came from New York, ran for Governor of WV on the Republican Ticket, was defeated, came back as a Democrat, and was elected.  What a bunch of dumba$$ Hillbillies.  Then went on to run for United States Senate, and remains there to this day.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:58:08 AM »

It's called wait til the plaintiffs lose interest, money to pay for the lawyers, or die.  They (Exxon) pay their 100's of lawyers if they work or not.  My father used to always say, "Being right doesn't mean you win"
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »

USA TODAY.com

1989:

1994:

1997:

2001:

2006:

Wednesday:

It's disgusting, Jerry.  To this day, I will not buy Exxon fuel unless I have no other option.  I go out of my way, when there's a station 1/4 mile down the street.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »

It's disgusting, Jerry.  To this day, I will not buy Exxon fuel unless I have no other option.  I go out of my way, when there's a station 1/4 mile down the street.

I agree and it's not only because of the Valdez fiasco, but also the amount of money their CEO and other top execs make. Obscene doesn't even begin to describe my sentiments toward this company. What would I can't type on this site

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

B B

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »

I completely agree, and am so glad that I am not the only one who remembers not only the spill, but the attitude afterwards. the spokesperson for Exxon at the time made a snide comment about our boycott stating "you can boycot us and it won't hurt us one iota"...I will drive 50 miles out of the way to not purchase Exxon/Mobil products.
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »

I agree and it's not only because of the Valdez fiasco, but also the amount of money their CEO and other top execs make. Obscene doesn't even begin to describe my sentiments toward this company. What would I can't type on this site

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

B B

Not only the oil company execs, B B...a lot of the other companies out there too.  There ain't no way in hell that any human being performing a job is worth what they are paying some of these people, plus, when they do a chitty job, they get more money than we'd see in 10 lifetimes, just to go away.

TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »

I will not buy Exxon fuel if there is an option,  but I will drive even farther to not buy any of Hugo Chavez's Venezuelan Citgo Oil...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:36:59 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »

I will not by Exxon fuel if there is an option,  but I will drive even farther to not buy any of Hugo Chavez's Venezuelan Citgo Oil...

I don't do Citgo either, Scott, and it's even closer to my house than Exxon.

TTS Mastertune

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »

I will not buy Exxon fuel if there is an option,  but I will drive even farther to not buy any of Hugo Chavez's Venezuelan Citgo Oil...

Same, same

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »

I won't buy Citgo.  If you are buying gas, its more likely you are buying Exxon refined gas & not knowing it.  They be a big company & have broad distrubution other than "Exxon" label.

But if it makes ya feel better, knock yourself out using more gas riding by the station.  The kid there making minimum wage won't mind losing his job when the station closes due to the severe depression in biz from your lack of patronage, prolly.  And all the thousands of blue collar workers who toil in their refineries won't mind getting laid off either, maybe.  ;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »

OK

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

OK

It's a media fixation on Exxon that is just weird.  They pay more income tax already than almost 50% of US citizens or something like that.

Almost as bizarre as the Wal mart hatred.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »

I too will not buy Exxon or citgo. I try to spend my money at the local Kwik Fill. The gasoline is refined by united refinery some info here http://www.answers.com/topic/united-refining-company-1?cat=biz-fin for anyone not already in the know.

disclaimer: I am not nor do I claim to be an oil company aficionado!!  ;)  But figure the more of my money I can keep out of the hands of those that would harm us the better.

PS. I also WILL NOT shop at Wal Mart - sorry Iski

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »

I use Amoco and Sunoco. How about them? They OK? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »

I use Amoco and Sunoco. How about them? They OK? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Not at all.  Heavens to Betsy!

After reading this thread I have seen the errors of my ways.  Presently converting all my evil petroleum burning vehicles to run on organic soy juice made from eco friendly plants that are raised by highly enlightened and well compensated workers in a commune in a very small section of the upper Adirondacks that is known to be non environmentally harming and as such must remain secret from the general population. 

The product smells & looks EXACTLY like gas, but is delivered to the stations I purchase it from by Amish horse & buggy drawn tankers only. 

Next week I will choose some other major corporation to demagogue & boycott, but this week it is Starbucks and their extremely evil coffee that is raised in rain forests that are being cut down by evil chain sawers & a small ground squirrel had its tail semi-damaged by a careless capitalistic pig picker picking beans.  The Horror!!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:08 PM »

That all seems a little overboard.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

Well, the Amish do have to walk the plank if they don't feed organic hay to the horses that are pulling the tanker.  If you are committed to the environment and doing business with ONLY enviro conscious & friendly companies, it's not so much to ask.  Plus some of them need a bath anyway........

Weird how you would know that, it's supposed to be a commune secret.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 08:35:38 PM »

Not at all.  Heavens to Betsy!

After reading this thread I have seen the errors of my ways.  Presently converting all my evil petroleum burning vehicles to run on organic soy juice made from eco friendly plants that are raised by highly enlightened and well compensated workers in a commune in a very small section of the upper Adirondacks that is known to be non environmentally harming and as such must remain secret from the general population. 

The product smells & looks EXACTLY like gas, but is delivered to the stations I purchase it from by Amish horse & buggy drawn tankers only. 

Next week I will choose some other major corporation to demagogue & boycott, but this week it is Starbucks and their extremely evil coffee that is raised in rain forests that are being cut down by evil chain sawers & a small ground squirrel had its tail semi-damaged by a careless capitalistic pig picker picking beans.  The Horror!!

teeter   totter   teeter    totter 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

teeter   totter   teeter    totter 

Appears you are tottering to the right of teeter.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

Well, the Amish do have to walk the plank if they don't feed organic hay to the horses that are pulling the tanker.  If you are committed to the environment and doing business with ONLY enviro conscious & friendly companies, it's not so much to ask.  Plus some of them need a bath anyway........

Weird how you would know that, it's supposed to be a commune secret.

I'd hate to be a horse owned by an amish person. Plow the field, plant the seed, cut the hay, haul the hay, eat the hay, crap the hay, pull a tanker, be the glue. Much prefer Lexington w/ a heated barn and lot's of folks waiting on me.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 08:47:43 PM »

I'd hate to be a horse owned by an amish person. Plow the field, plant the seed, cut the hay, haul the hay, eat the hay, crap the hay, pull a tanker, be the glue. Much prefer Lexington w/ a heated barn and lot's of folks waiting on me.

The above is causing me to question whether or not you are truly committed to the environment and hate the same big businesses I do for the same incomprehensible reasons.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »

Well, I'm not "converting all my evil petroleum burning vehicles to run on organic soy juice made from eco friendly plants that are raised by highly enlightened and well compensated workers in a commune in a very small section of the upper Adirondacks that is known to be non environmentally harming and as such must remain secret from the general population" but I remember the images of the animals, the shoreline and lots of the rest of it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »

Well, since I tend to be open minded (hole in head), I understand that not everyone is as committed to hating big businesses because the media tells them to as much as I am.  Plus, the commitment to the environment is not easy, since only 12 gallons of the soy juice are organically produced each hour by mantra chanting proselytes in a harmonically soothing environment.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »

You got me now. Dammed if I can figure converting to Judaism from an amish horse pulling bean juice. I can get behind a soothing mantra and getting real mellow on the couch.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:11:30 PM »

I'm busy at the moment thinking soothing thoughts to heal our earth mothership of her harmful chakras and replace them with an aura of enlightenment.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »

I'm busy at the moment thinking soothing thoughts to heal our earth mothership of her harmful chakras and replace them with an aura of enlightenment.

TRANSLATED

He's stuck in the bathroom again with the runs!

:(

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

ooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »

TRANSLATED

He's stuck in the bathroom again with the runs!

:(

It's organic hay mixed w/ soy juice.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

Patron is organic maybe?   :nixweiss:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »

I think so. Cactus juice is a good thing.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »

Lemon is too. Salt's naturally occurring so it counts too.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »

My commitment to an organic harmonic environment is almost inspiring!   :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

What's all that got to do with an extremely wealthy corporation stiffing a bunch of poor Alaskan fishermen for 20 years?  If I remember correctly, their after tax profits for 2007 were in the $40B range.  $2.5B for the Alaskans is mere chump change to these folks (and is probably less than what they paid in bonuses to the executives).  And let's not forget all that taxpayer money being spent to secure the Iraqi oil reserves for them; I think we're getting into the really big bucks on that.  Let's check with GW, maybe he can find a way for the taxpayers to pony up the $2.5B judgement for them as well. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »

My commitment to an organic harmonic environment is almost inspiring!   :drink:

Musta just flushed?

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

Musta just flushed?

Low flow, of course.

I wonder what the layoff/lose jobs goal is for blue collar Exxon refinery workers & Exxon service station attendants who earn minimum wage due to this boycott?  10%?  30%?  100%?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:02:11 AM by iski »

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »

I wonder what the layoff/lose jobs goal is for blue collar Exxon refinery workers & Exxon service station attendants who earn minimum wage due to this boycott?  10%?  30%?  100%?

Much as that is a beautiful pro-worker sentiment, this does not excuse Exxon's actions. Furthermore, if you want to play that game, by boycotting Exxon and using another company's product, you will be creating more demand for the other product, requiring them to increase production and hire more refiner workers and service station attendants.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Exxon had choices, as did the stupid SOB who was captain of the tanker that made the mess, who should be serving time right now, if it were up to me, and most of that time would be spent helping to clean up the absolute disaster he helped cause.

I don't give a chit how conservative/liberal a person is, what Exxon is doing is WRONG...yes, they have the money and a battalion of corporate attorneys to explore every legal way possible to avoid doing the RIGHT thing, but ethically they suck, and I will continue not doing business with them, if at all possible.

What they needed to do in order to keep people like me from avoiding their product was simple...pay the money, admit they f'd up big time, take every possible step to ensure the public it won't happen again, and spend whatever necessary to repair as much of the damage as possible.  Pretty damn simple to do the right thing, but they chose the low road instead.  And then people wonder why there is a need for governmental oversight, which is certainly not perfect, but necessary.

Glutinous Pigs, like so many others in big business.  There is no correlation between compensation and actual job worth in the majority of corporate executive pay, bonuses, and severance packages.  Exxon is just one example.

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »

Much as that is a beautiful pro-worker sentiment, this does not excuse Exxon's actions. Furthermore, if you want to play that game, by boycotting Exxon and using another company's product, you will be creating more demand for the other product, requiring them to increase production and hire more refiner workers and service station attendants.

No problem with boycotts or choosing who one does biz with.  I do similar all the time. Some companies I refuse to do biz with, for my own reasons.  Did not mean my remark to be any beautiful pro-worker deal, I know some folks who work in different divisions of Exxon/Mobil & their product lines reaches very far beyond the gas & oil retail stuff.  Similar to Du Pont in some ways.  Each day most of us encounter some of their products & are not even aware of it.

Since the world oil supply is basically over-spoken for due to the decisions to allow the middle eastern nations a carte balnc on price setting a few decades ago, Exxon would just sell their refinery output through other channels & in some cases, they already do. 

Anyway, my plans to burn organic soy juice were thrown awry when the holistic energy commune decided to sell out to BP & buy condos in Venezuela.  Left the Amish tanker drivers in the lurch.  And if you've ever seen an Amish in the lurch....well, it just isn't a pretty sight.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 10:08:40 PM »

Low flow, of course.

Ahhhhh  when all else fails in an argument, the far right discovers sympathy for the working man.  Crocodile tears Iski, crocodile tears

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »

Ahhhhh  when all else fails in an argument, the far right discovers sympathy for the working man.  Crocodile tears Iski, crocodile tears

B B

BB - You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in regard to me. None.

Thanks ever so much for proving it here and there & even over ------------>.

BTW - - I could care less about whatever odd politics you believe but it's obvious a Tooth Fairy is involved in there somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 24 queries.