Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Lawsuit  (Read 14411 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Myrtle Beach Lawsuit
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

2008-77      Amend existing Noise law found in Chapter 14, Article X, Sections 14-240.  No loud mufflers; EPA labeling required, or maximum 89 decibels allowed at idle measurement.  (effective immediately)

I'm surprised that no one has picked up on this. SC used to be a state where the politicians were not influenced by outside pressure. The laws that were on the books were there for a reason and not to make political statements. With the advent of these new laws, "the Northerners" have infiltrated into political arena and are changing the way of life that was once South Carolina. As a resident of the state, I will no longer have a choice as to whether or not to wear a helmet because I may ride through a small section of the state that now requires one. As a result, I will simply adjust my travel plans as I would when going to Georgia. If I'm out for a ride and not wearing a helmet, we'll choose a restaurant or other shopping destination where we are not breaking the law. It truly is a sad day for the state.

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but what does BBB stand for?   :confused5:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

I disagree on a bunch of that. WE includes all riders. WE have stupid riders across the board that brings on this chit. WE were young once and did some stupid things but WE either paid the price or got away w/ it. WE, at least me, doesn't want to have to worry about putting on a lid whenever WE or me goes through some town which has asserted a higher right than the State. WE may be "the man" so WE should know that existing laws work, just enforce them equally. I mean really, WTF does a citywide helmet law have to do w/ BBB? WE have limited resources so I will now spend them elsewhere. If WE read the discourses that led to these laws there was condemnation of motorcyclists by all members of the city government. They all purported to represent their constituency.
One of the greater lessons learned through school and life was that it's just easier to punish the "class" than to single out the troublemakers and deal w/ them. WE are the class and WE have been punished. I really hate being a good boy and getting punished for someone else. Pure and simple, I won't stand for it on my dime.
Anyway, the general tone of the new ordinances AND the huge increase in vendor permits and restrictions make it pretty clear to me that M. B. wants golfers and putt putters and not motorcyclists. Wish granted. Enjoy yourself, hope folks show up and have a good time. I'm choosing Eureka instead this year.

I agree with you. A group of us on site are going to Outer Banks Bike Week in April. ( see thread  in events section. )
Party at the beach!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »

How about the section that says no destruction of landscaped areas by chairs, etc????  That could read that you can't set a folding chair out on your own manicured front lawn, because you'll leave marks!!!!  Somebody really had their panties in a wad coming up with these.  It does really paint a poor picture of the town and it's leadership.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »

A big part of the problem is the city has changing from a wide open party town to a laid back retiree's resort area. The hotels are changing over to time share and being replaced with condos. The retired people are the ones complaining about the traffic and noise not the business owners. The problem is they will never be happy, because the place never is without traffic in the summer. They need to move to Hilton Head and give us back the party beach town.
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »

A big part of the problem is the city has changing from a wide open party town to a laid back retiree's resort area. The hotels are changing over to time share and being replaced with condos. The retired people are the ones complaining about the traffic and noise not the business owners. The problem is they will never be happy, because the place never is without traffic in the summer. They need to move to Hilton Head and give us back the party beach town.
Mike

Hey Hey Hey! You keep those old farts that don't spend any money up there. We'll keep the tourist spending dollars in the southern part of the state.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

Looks like no drinking in parking lots like at the "Dohg House" and other venues.  No trailers in unpermitted private parking lots?  Huh?
But its OK for non registered golf carts to drive acroos the street with no lights, helmets, and a couple with oxygen bottles driving.

People, you know those futuristic movies like Demolition Man?  we're rapidly approaching that level of big brother government where the only freedoms you have exist as long as someone else doesn't object.

The 89 decibel at idle is not really that quiet is it?  Usually its a max of 85sih at 2000 rpm, not idle.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

xjackx

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »

If everyone continued to attend Harley Bike Week but boycotted the City of Myrtle Beach (CoMB) in every conceivable manner, they (CoMB) would have to rethink their position. No motels, food, t-shirts or gas. This means no city or accommodations taxes for CoMB. Don't patronize the businesses outside of CoMB that operate business inside of CoMB. Remind attendees who are in CoMB that they shouldn't spend a penny in the CoMB. I couldn't find a "screw" icon so....SCREW CoMB!

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »

If everyone continued to attend Harley Bike Week but boycotted the City of Myrtle Beach (CoMB) in every conceivable manner, they (CoMB) would have to rethink their position. No motels, food, t-shirts or gas. This means no city or accommodations taxes for CoMB. Don't patronize the businesses outside of CoMB that operate business inside of CoMB. Remind attendees who are in CoMB that they shouldn't spend a penny in the CoMB. I couldn't find a "screw" icon so....SCREW CoMB!

Well said Jack !  The places AROUND want our business  and are making plans next spring to make sure we don't go back to MB.  The other places like LR, CG, NMB, etc are recruiting us.  I'll go around MB if I have to.  Hwy 31 is the Ch##.
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 06:53:06 PM »

These get rid of the rally movements follow a cycle (no pun intended). Living within 100 miles of Laconia, I can tell you that every 10-15 years, the locals try and stop it.  The rally keeps going, but there are only a few beer permits given out, they jack up permit fees and have 1 LEO for every 10 bikes.  It's ridiculous.  You can't do anything. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »

Well said Jack !  The places AROUND want our business  and are making plans next spring to make sure we don't go back to MB.  The other places like LR, CG, NMB, etc are recruiting us.  I'll go around MB if I have to.  Hwy 31 is the Ch##.

Frank, look into this and check the facts. Horry county is on board with what the city of MB wants. The county rules will apply all the way up to the North Carolina State Line. The cities (North Myrtle Beach, etc.) may want our business, but the county does not.

RedFXR2

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »

With the advent of these new laws, "the Northerners" have infiltrated into political arena and are changing the way of life that was once South Carolina.

As a native southerner, now a resident of Florida I find this interesting.  Maybe what's going on up there is part of a greater cultural clash.  It's well known down here that more and more retirees from the Northeast are now retiring to the GA, SC, and NC coastal areas and mountains instead of FL for a variety of reasons,, mostly economic.  There has also been a significant number of those same retirees that have left FL over the last five years or so, cashing in on the once superheated but now defunct housing market, and moved up there with a wheelbarrow full of money.

I'm not trying to re-start the Civil War, but when I first arrived in FL I was amazed at the attitudes of the locals.  The "locals" being retirees from the NE.  I should point out that local census data proves that over 3/4 of the residents of Palm Beach County, FL, just to the south of me, are not from FL and about 68% of them are from NJ, NY and CT.  These older folks are not terribly friendly or welcoming, to say the least.   Not at all what I was accustomed to coming from NC.

True story:  When we moved into our house in NC, the neighborhood kids brought home-baked cookies as the furniture was being unloaded, and two days later we were at our neighbor's house for a welcome to the neighborhood cookout with everyone from that end of the street.  When we moved to FL, nobody said a word to us for two months and then we got a letter threatening us with legal action if we didn't pressure-clean the roof in the next 30 days.  Very different culture, alright.

I could tell a lot of stories.  And the rules and ordinances aren't even family friendly (children), much less condusive to somewhat noisy recreation by adults.  They like things picture perfect and perfectly silent.  And everyone will be expected to think that's a good idea.  Having lived through some of their objections to (IMO) the slightest issue, like a toy left outside overnight, a weed in the yard.  Can't park a pickup truck in the driveway.  I've even fielded complaints about kids shooting baskets in their own driveway--too noisy, they say.  They tried to ban basketball goals from the neighborhood as a result.  I can easily imagine how they would react to a lot of motorcyles at one time.

On the upside, more families and younger folks seem to be slowly arriving, and more of the older folks are leaving.  I'ts slow, but appreciable.  Thank goodness.

Not trying to offend anyone with all this, just making an observation.  Certainly not all northeasterners fit this description.  I have a good friend back in Atlanta who grew up in NYC so I asked him about all this and he laughed.  He sympathized and said it took him a while to adjust to friendly people in the South.  I just can't figure out how someone can retire wealthy enough to buy a nice place down here and then drive around in a Jaguar with nothing but free time, yet be so mean and carry a sense of unfulfilled self-entitlement.  I would think they'd be blissfully happy, but nooooo.

But back to the Myrtle Beach situation, if the town is truly gaining northeastern retirees, prepare for very rigid rules that they will refer to as "bringing civilization and culture to the uneducated".

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

As a native southerner, now a resident of Florida I find this interesting...

I'm not trying to re-start the Civil War, but...

But back to the Myrtle Beach situation, if the town is truly gaining northeastern retirees, prepare for very rigid rules that they will refer to as "bringing civilization and culture to the uneducated".

I was born about 75 miles north of New York and moved to Beaufort, SC 15 years ago. I know exactly what it is that you are talking about. One of the reasons why I moved was I did not like the attitude of most of the people. When I arrived in SC, live just seemed to be more relaxed. You will see bumper stickers here that say: "We don't give a damn how you did it up North". I'm seeing few of them nowadays.

xjackx

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

I could tell a lot of stories.  And the rules and ordinances aren't even family friendly (children), much less condusive to somewhat noisy recreation by adults.  They like things picture perfect and perfectly silent.  And everyone will be expected to think that's a good idea.  Having lived through some of their objections to (IMO) the slightest issue, like a toy left outside overnight, a weed in the yard.  Can't park a pickup truck in the driveway.  I've even fielded complaints about kids shooting baskets in their own driveway--too noisy, they say.  They tried to ban basketball goals from the neighborhood as a result.  I can easily imagine how they would react to a lot of motorcyles at one time.

I read an article from Fairfield CT that a steak house could not be built in town because of the "negative effect on air quality" :confused5:
Some regulations just go to far!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.