Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Interesting info regarding lane splitting  (Read 11087 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:20:03 AM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Interesting infor regarding lane splitting
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

The article since it won't be available online for too long:

Motorcycle lane splitting is legal, but even some bikers get nervous about it

Diane Bagues had just moved to San Leandro a few years ago from another state, and she was stunned one day when a motorcyclist sped down the middle of the freeway inches away from her car and one in the next lane.

"Lane-splitting scares the *&^%&* out of me," she wrote in an email. "I've never seen this in any other state, and couldn't believe it was legal here."

She's not alone. Kicking off the start of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the state Office of Traffic Safety on Thursday released its first-ever survey on the controversial but legal practice of splitting lanes.

The survey found that 53 percent of drivers think splitting lanes is against the law but that 87 percent of motorcyclists do it. It also found that 7 percent of drivers admit to trying to block motorcyclists as they travel between lanes.

California is the only state to allow this common practice. While there is no law that deals directly with it, police say it's OK when done safely at moderate speeds. That usually means when traffic is creeping along at under 45 mph, but not 65 mph, when roadway conditions are light.

Many motorcyclists and some traffic cops say splitting lanes makes them nervous, but they know it saves them significant time on the road.

"Without lane-splitting, I would never get to work," said Eric Johnansen, who commutes across the Bay Bridge from Oakland to San Francisco. "It's a life saver. But I know it freaks out the car
Advertisement
people, and I also know that it's not the safest thing I do all day."

Officer D.J. Sarabia of the California Highway Patrol office in San Jose calls the practice dangerous, but he does it.

"As a motor officer myself for the last 11-plus years, I am very apprehensive to split traffic but must do so to do my job," Sarabia said. "You definitely have to be aware of traffic patterns: speed of traffic, people making lane changes, stop-and-go traffic, etc."

Motorcycle deaths have fallen since 2008 after a decade of annual increases and are down nearly 30 percent, while the number of people injured decreased by nearly 11 percent over the same period.

Yet the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 39 times more likely than occupants of a car to die in crashes. Yet most crashes are the fault of the motorist and not the motorcyclist.

Will Clark, of San Jose, was clipped by a car when he was lane-splitting at 30 mph alongside a South Bay carpool lane. "He hit me just as his turn signal flashed for the first time," Clark said.

Safety officials say using turn signals is a huge safety tip they recommend, along with keeping an eye on traffic in adjacent lanes and behind.

That's why electronic freeway signs will once again urge drivers to be more aware of motorcyclists, saying: "SHARE THE ROAD. LOOK TWICE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS."

That message worked in past years, said motorcyclist Les Kurtz, of Fairfield.

"I felt a direct and obvious improvement in the way cars react to me on my motorcycle," he said of last year's effort. "More drivers do see me. As proof, I have had fewer cars changing into my lane."

But not all motorcyclists have the same experience. Albert Rios says he'll make eye contact with some drivers and then watch as they steer toward him. One time on 19th Avenue in San Francisco, a passenger in a car purposefully flung open his door as Rios passed by.

The survey found that 15 percent of motorcyclists say they have either been hit by a car or hit one. More than 45 percent say they've come close to being struck. More worrisome, perhaps: 70 percent say they were racing 10 to 20 mph faster than other vehicles.

Few have sympathy for those who split lanes at high speeds.

"Riding too fast is one of the most common things that motorcyclists do to make lane splitting unsafe," said safety spokesman Chris Cochran.

Added Patrick Caselli, of San Jose, a motorcycle rider since 1965: "Nothing makes me more angry than some guy flying in and out of traffic at 65-plus."

Contact Gary Richards at 408-920-5335.
Safe riding

Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or exiting a lane.

Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.

Allow more following distance -- three or four seconds -- when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop.

Never tailgate.

Avoid riding in poor weather.

Wear brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet.

Use turn signals for every turn or lane change.

Combine hand and turn signals.
Source: Office of Traffic Safety
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Good find Ernie. i will be interested in reading more comments as they come in from the general public as they post , and i voted YES.   Seeing out- of - staters reaction to splitting lane is always interesting. And for those who want to try Dan,s splitting double Simi,s in the curve,s they can take his Class   Ride Like A Dick
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

Good find Ernie. i will be interested in reading more comments as they come in from the general public as they post , and i voted YES.   Seeing out- of - staters reaction to splitting lane is always interesting. And for those who want to try Dan,s splitting double Simi,s in the curve,s they can take his Class   Ride Like A Dick

:zroflmao:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Interesting info regarding lane splitting
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »

Never mind being blocked, I've had people get really irate and scream obscenities at me for lane splitting. Rather than flip them off, unless I was in a group I've stopped and said to these people  - - - -"lane splitting is legal in California and is specifically mentioned in the Driver's Handbook you pick up at DMV to study for a license exam. You can ask any CHP or other LEO and they will verify this. Sooooooo, my question to you is what else don't you know about driving as it's obvious that you have obtained your license illegally "  This usually gets me more profanity, total flip off and other assorted insults. My response is always the same - - - "buy a motorcycle and enjoy the freedom"

B B

PS   Have had Chippies right on my ass more than once while doing this during rush hour. Even had one blip his siren so I'd let him go as I wasn't doing it fast enough to suit him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:16:02 PM by Spiderman »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »

NOT legal up here in Canada. Even in Cal, I'd want to be led through it a few times before I'd feel at all comfortable doing it myself.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Having never done it since I don't live in Cali, how tough is it to lane share while riding a bagger?
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

What most amazed me is the number of "drivers" who thought it is illegal, or blocked a bike because "they are getting ahead of me".   :confused5:
Spada84
NoSofa!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

According to the latest available statistics, there are 850,000 motorcycles registered for use on the road in California. I think that number suggests why folks on motorcycles might have this law on their side. That's a lot of vehicle being allowed to get out of the way when traffic bogs down

B B

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »

My wife and I was on our way down the 405 from San Fransico to Santa Monica a couple of year ago. It was around 5 pm and every lane was practically stopped. We were on the Ultra and in my mirror I see another bike coming up the middle. He slowly passed us and waved for us to follow him. I was hesitant at first, but I thought what the heck..........I kicked up my highway pegs and whoop it in behind him and we slowly worked out way thru the grid lock and before I knew it we was buzzing right along again. I have no doubt we'd still be in that nightmare on the 405 if I'd not started splitting.
Most cars would see me coming and kindly move enough to allow my passage. I would give them a nod and some a wave thank you when I could. I have no problem with it and wish other states would allow it. It's a good thing if done properly.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »

The operative word is "properly".  When traffic is stopped or barely moving, lane splitting might make good sense to a motorcyclist.  But when traffic is actually moving, even if it's only 35 mph rather than the preferred WOT, I think it makes much more sense to stay in line, not piss off the cagers, and try to avoid being blocked/sideswiped/etc.  If we could reasonably assume ALL drivers were sane and willing to let a motorcycle by, maybe splitting would make more sense.  But with all the "ten bricks short of a load" types on the roads these days, plus the genius types texting or watching DVD's while driving, I try not to assume that anyone on the road actually sees me or is willing to share the road with me, much less a lane.

I tend to believe if splitting was such a great and safe thing, there would be more than one state out of fifty that allows it.  I think I prefer the idea of one vehicle per lane, no exceptions.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »

I did it when riding in California but was very nervous but survived and would do it again.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »

Having never done it since I don't live in Cali, how tough is it to lane share while riding a bagger?

Not much of a problem....we all do it.

Riding about 10 mph over the speed they're doing is generally a good rule of thumb.  The thing is, during the commute hours traffic will get up to 35 mph or so for maybe two or three hundred yards then all of a sudden it's stopped.

I ride with my brights on during the day and many drivers will actually move to the outside of their lane, to allow us more room.  I assume those are riders stuck in a cage as I do the same when I'm in my truck and see a bike coming up the side.  Just doesn't seem to be that big of an issue in Calif. any longer, like it was years ago.  Motorcycle awareness is increasing I believe.

I've followed behind CHP or other LEOs on bikes, lane splitting and I've had them follow me.  My preference is to follow them......they seem to attract a lot more "motorcycle awareness". :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

Forgot to mention......it's a way of life in California.  And I get so used to it that I've found myself doing it in other states without even thinking about it. :nixweiss:   So far (knock on wood) I haven't got the little piece of paper that reminds me it's illegal. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

My wife and I was on our way down the 405 from San Fransico to Santa Monica a couple of year ago. It was around 5 pm and every lane was practically stopped. We were on the Ultra and in my mirror I see another bike coming up the middle. He slowly passed us and waved for us to follow him. I was hesitant at first, but I thought what the heck..........I kicked up my highway pegs and whoop it in behind him and we slowly worked out way thru the grid lock and before I knew it we was buzzing right along again. I have no doubt we'd still be in that nightmare on the 405 if I'd not started splitting.
Most cars would see me coming and kindly move enough to allow my passage. I would give them a nod and some a wave thank you when I could. I have no problem with it and wish other states would allow it. It's a good thing if done properly.

Atta boy!  You're a natural.  After awhile you get a second-sense about the outcome when passing certain cars.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.