Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Has a Big Problem and It's Not Trump. It's That Its Motorcycles  (Read 8118 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

My wife and I have ridden over 160,000 miles with only one break down on the road and it was a battery and the temps were in the high 90's. HD was there in 20 minutes and they were about to close. They had the bike ready at 9 Am next Am.  We have had many of the usual problems with a new engine on my o7 serk and trans. Woodstock Hd  has never had my bike for more than a week to make the repairs and always offer a loaner.   Best thing my wife an I have done is buy 2 HD in 05 never look back.

I wish I could say that.  09 CVO Road glide, failed lifters at 46K miles.  12 CVO Road Glide, failed regulator at 7000 miles, failed compensator at 16000 miles, failed clutch master cylinder at 31000 miles.  15 CVO Road Glide Ultra, failed lifters at 44K miles, HD had to replace engine under warranty. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail

,.....so when your bike breaks down on Beartooth Pass on a Saturday afternoon over a holiday weekend,....you love that?? I sure as Hell didn't. Fricken' Stator #2 out of an eventual 4. I for one am tired of HDs breaking down on the road.

I had my stator go out on me going over Beartooth pass in 2001. I was riding my 89 FLT & had it fixed to ride without headlights. Rode it to Cody, Wyoming & had it replaced. This was my 2nd one. Also blew a head gasket 100 miles out of Sturgis on the same trip.  Only time this bike has ever been on a trailer. We did rebuild it in the campground. Still love to ride this old Harley!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:06:29 AM by danner55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

I had my stator go out on me going over Beartooth pass in 2001. I was riding my 89 FLT & had it fixed to ride without headlights. Rode it to Cody, Wyoming & had it replaced. This was my 2nd one. Also blew a head gasket 100 miles out of Sturgis on the same trip.  Only time this bike has ever been on a trailer. We did rebuild it in the campground. Still love to ride this old Harley!

I think I hold a record for burned out stators in national parks. My old '01 Ultra lost stators in Zion, Beartooth, Petrified Forest, and Malibu. Except for Malibu, it always happened on the road, over a weekend when the dealer is closed. HD has got to do better than that.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

I think I hold a record for burned out stators in national parks. My old '01 Ultra lost stators in Zion, Beartooth, Petrified Forest, and Malibu. Except for Malibu, it always happened on the road, over a weekend when the dealer is closed. HD has got to do better than that.
Maybe you just need to stay out of national parks. 😜

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

Maybe you just need to stay out of national parks. 😜

James and I have discussed that strategy. However, since buying WrongWays '06 I've been very lucky with national parks. Care to join us for the Grand Canyon next year? You can ride your Honda,....
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold

Anyway, I have no dayglo or space suit looking riding clothes so would not fit in the Beemer world.  One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

I never cared much for image when I'm on any bike. The only stitch of HD attire I still own is the leather I practically stole on sale years ago. It's the same one I wore on my old Ducati and the new Honda I currently ride. I do get some weird looks depending on where you go, but doesn't bother me ... I still waive at every biker no matter what it is.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 26 queries.