Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Question 2 bag protectors/crash bars  (Read 7656 times)

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Question 2 bag protectors/crash bars
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

Anyone have pics with the rear crash bars on?

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »

I want to put rear saddle bag crash bars on my 2013 CVO road glide. Would hate to scuff up the nice custom paint if the wind blows too hard. My wife is short 5 feet dealer say she will be uncomfortable with the standard crash bars in place and recommended the comfort bag guards. Price how ever on the comfort guards are $400 (with all the mounting hardware) way steep for what they are. Any experince/thoughts?

I agree with Puzzled.  My bride is barely over the five foot mark, but she says she's comfortable with the stock bars.  We did install the saddlebag protectors, which were highly recommended by the rental folks at Bladk Hills H-D.  Can't hardly see tham; or maybe that's the snow.
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

Anyone have pics with the rear crash bars on?
Here ya go! Easy to put on. :2vrolijk_21:
Loosen the three mounting bolts on the stock bar. The one behind the muffler is a bit tight to get to.
Remove the muffler hanger mount bolts and relocate the rubber muffler mount bushing from the stock support to the new one.
Remove three loosened mounting bolts and then the stock support.
Assemble the new rear chrome guard to the new black saddlebag support bar.
Install the new guard/support assembly and loosely install the top torx bolt first (use med strength loctite) and then the lower two mounting bolts and locknuts.
Install the bolt under the seat that attaches the top of the chrome guard tube to the frame.

Once all is aligned, tighten all bolts.
Re-install exhaust hanger bar and bolts.
Transfer rear bag mount clip to the new bracket and install the saddlebag.
** check for clearance between the bag and the side cover in front of the bag. The dealer should have done this at setup but often they are close enough that they rub and wear the paint off. There should be enough gap to allow for movement. About 3/8"**

If you have the 4 point dock installed, you will need to remove just one of the antenna mount bolts to be able reach the top torx bolt.

It blends in enough that many wont notice it or figure that it came with it.
Hope this helps.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »

Here is a side shot.

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »

I gotem too. Need a spot to hold my drink. Plus the added protection is good

Rich
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »

There is no need to buy the "support" kit for either guard type.  If you have no plans on reverting just cut your stock bag supports and use them.  No need paying all that extra money unless you want to have "black" bag supports vice chrome.  I'll post pics of mine tonight, I had my bag guards done in a satin black.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »

Well, my thought is that $400 is a lot cheaper than buying a new color matched saddle bag.  You're going to drop it eventually, most likely it will be a 'soft' drop and it will rest on the front crashbar and floorboard.  No harm - no foul.  But, if it goes over a little harder it's going to cost you some $$.  I learned this lesson the hard way with my 2011 RGU.  I put my foot on a greasy spot on the pavement when I stopped on an off ramp and went over very quickly.  A new saddle bag and latch - with 20% off - was still around $250, and the scrape on the side of the fiaring was still there. 

The color matched saddlebag for your CVO is a lot more than $200.

:0) - I discovered by accident that the Helmet Locks placed in a strategic location on the Bag Bars will touch first and hold the bars off the ground.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »

nice thanks for all the info going with the standard bars looks good thanks for the pics
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.