Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: New 117 Sumping  (Read 17263 times)

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
Re: New 117 Sumping
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »

Good luck I hope it's fixed will keep you posted on my outcome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 12:58:15 AM »

Hope you folks that experience  long periods without your bike due to an issue receive something to cover some of your hard cost, while bike is not available to ride.

It's only right!

Hopefully Harley sorts this out. I will not buy another Harley until they prove to me that they are selling a solid motorcycle that's also competitive with other manufacturers.

My days of blind loyalty is over.  I'm saddened to make that statement.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »

2018 CVO RG

6300 MILES
Stage 4 done at new.
Sumped engine oil temperature was 340 shut down no oil on dip stick ! Oil showing in exhaust! waiting for harley to send engineers to look in Boston ma.

Will advise when I get Info

Yep, Stage 4 117 sumped. Feel for you. Do you know if you had the latest "sealed" oil pump when the engine sumped? Did they upgrade the oil pump when they did the stage 4 install?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:19:46 PM by Heatwave »

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

No did not have new oil pump was not out yet!!

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »

TIME TO PUT TOGETHER A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!! THERE ARE ENOUGH OF US OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM!!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 10:36:45 PM »

TIME TO PUT TOGETHER A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!! THERE ARE ENOUGH OF US OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM!!

Truly; owners of M8's could suffer greater depreciation if the general riding group learns about sumping. That's real damages.

Best of luck to you

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »

Somehow Harley has been allowed to "skate" on stuff like this for decades; this is definitely not the first time they have inflicted major issues on customers for years without fixing the problem.  If this was the auto industry, there would be lawyers lining up to file suits and several such suits would already be in the pipeline.  Harley isn't worried though, they plan to abandon this market and hitch their wagon to the Chinese and Indian (the country, not the other brand name) markets.  If they pawn off the same shoddy crap over there as they have here, they might find themselves out of business.  The folks in those countries have been riding superior brands like Honda for a long time and I doubt they will give Harley the same free pass on quality and reliability they have received in the USA.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »

I'm speculating a class-action on the M8 would be a death blow to the MoCo.  Having to fix (and I mean fix...not band-aid solutions like we've seen so far) or replace every M8 would so financially cripple the company, I'm not sure they'd survive.  BMW, Indian, & Honda, seeing blood in the water, would drive the knife in even further.

I'm not saying a class-action isn't called for, but just speculating on the result.       
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:54:19 AM by Mark »

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »

Verdict is in they are putting short block in! Oil pump failure!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

Good news. Hopefully they have you up and running soon. I assume everything was covered under warranty??

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »

Yes everything covered except my diamond cut!

Fier23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »

Well they picked up my 2019 CVO for sumping today. Only 700 miles on it

Jeremy 2019 Street Glide CVO Black Forest

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »

The folks in those countries have been riding superior brands like Honda for a long time and I doubt they will give Harley the same free pass on quality and reliability they have received in the USA.

You're absolutely right about the free pass on quality here in the USA. We've had the same superior brands like Honda and Kawasaki here in the USA too. But as HD owners we have become so blinded to the rhetoric of "Buy American" fueled by unreasonable loyalty that for decades we have accepted these kinds of issues. Look at our posts, every year we pine away hoping HD will have "fixed the known issues", and produce a better product. Well it hasn't happened.

I know,...we say it,...Honda has no "soul", Kawasaki doesn't "sound like" a motorcycle and all that. So we choose to endure. We make a conscious effort to keep buying poor quality stuff because it's shiny, has a nice paint job, and sounds "pretty decent". Well that won't get you to Glacier National Park when your bike is sumped on the side of road, or paralyzed with a fried stator or grenaded cam chest.

We do this to ourselves because we WANT to.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »

You're absolutely right about the free pass on quality here in the USA. We've had the same superior brands like Honda and Kawasaki here in the USA too. But as HD owners we have become so blinded to the rhetoric of "Buy American" fueled by unreasonable loyalty that for decades we have accepted these kinds of issues. Look at our posts, every year we pine away hoping HD will have "fixed the known issues", and produce a better product. Well it hasn't happened.

I know,...we say it,...Honda has no "soul", Kawasaki doesn't "sound like" a motorcycle and all that. So we choose to endure. We make a conscious effort to keep buying poor quality stuff because it's shiny, has a nice paint job, and sounds "pretty decent". Well that won't get you to Glacier National Park when your bike is sumped on the side of road, or paralyzed with a fried stator or grenaded cam chest.

We do this to ourselves because we WANT to.
Let me first say that i will always love Harleys, they have a formula that moves me.

That said, after buying 12 new Harleys over 28 years i was attracted to the new BMW K1600 B or bagger. Styled by Rolland Sands in Los Angeles. The 6cyl engine developed in England for BMW along with the rest of the bike designed at the previous BMW F1 development center. One ride and I was sold. It's simply an amazing motorcycle. A bike Harley will never build. Perfect? No. But high quality engineering.

If Harley wants to continue being the sales leader, they must build a more competitive touring line. Honda, Yamaha, BMW all have new touring models released in 2018 with major improvement. Harley's only major improvement was the M8 with the lowest HP rating and quality issues.

Build a competitive bike with Harleys good looks, dealer network, aftermarket and owner base and they would sell extremely well.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »

I bought my first new HD when I was 17, AMF HD forgot to put in all four piston pin clips. Last one in 2007 (most know of those problems). A dozen or so in between with about half having major failures. Since 2007 we have bought 2 BMW’s, 2 Suzuki’s, 2 Honda’s and a Ural. Still have and love my ‘07 but until HD improves their engineering and Quality control other manufacturers will continue getting my business.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 22 queries.