Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tools?  (Read 1675 times)

Jordan1200

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Tools?
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »

I want to purchase some tools to work on my 2010 twin cam. I have been looking at places like George's garage, Heartland products and MBS manufacturing ( Heartland buys from them).
I am looking for things like primary locking bar/wedge
Inner cam bearing remover/installer
cam gear locking tool.
Among other stuff down the road.

questions

1) Are these good quality?

2) The inner cam bearing remover/installer kits come in multiple configurations, many are for 88,96,103,110 etc.. like kit HTPC96-C29 + HPTCAA-A29.
What bearing is for the 96" and up and what inner bearing is for 88" I want to find a kit that doesn't include 88" stuff to reduce cost.
This kit includes pullers for both B148 bearings and B168 bearings. What bearing is 96" and above?

3) Are primary bar wedges like I used on my sportster better than wedge style primary locks? Do wedge style locks cause too much stress/stress on the primary chain?

4) How long is the required primary locking bar that is required for my 2010 96" twin cam. I see many sellers list by length and not application.

http://www.heartlandproducts.net/harley-davidson-tools-bearings/

http://mbsmfg.com/harley-davidson-tools-bearings/

https://www.georges-garage.com/

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:45:43 AM by Jordan1200 »
2010 Street Glide 96" (Canadian edition)
S&S 106 Big Bore
Stage 2 ACR Heads
Fueling Oil Pump
Fueling Cam plate and
Fueling 543 Gear Drive cams
Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1 Exhaust

J.D.

Re: Tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »

Both Heartland and George's are tools I own and are high quality.

I prefer the wedges to the bars for the primary.  Reason is the bar lengths vary by model but the wedge works on all of them.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »

My recommendation would be George’s Garage, if you call you speak to George himself, fast shipping and quality tools that’ll last a lifetime. I am in no way affiliated with said company just a happy customer.

:orange:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

Just for reference,  you say you'll be doing your own repair work/ upgrades as I decided to I did actually pay out for the transmission input shaft inner bearing race installer "Special Tool" 70 smackers later the only thing Special about it was a left hand inner thread nut with a right hand centre thread that for a much lower cost can be made up in a machine shop the rest is a 6"x1" piece of pipe washer ready rod and nut that was the only special tool I bought.
The primary chain lock tool use  a wooden hammer shaft cut to fit.
Removing the transmission input shaft inner primary case bearing race as it's a hardened steel that is pressed onto the shaft it can with care slowly using a hand grinder grind the back side (back wheel side) of the race the full length in the same spot the race as it becomes thinner it will crack open and slide straight off. Saved 100 smackers for that tool
These tools work just as well to get the job done with out the high "HD Special Tools" cost.
So long as you take note of the depth position of the bearing you're pulling before removal
The inner primary case transmission input shaft bearing you'll need a press to remove/ install that one. That casing can be damaged if not pressed. I picked up a 6ton press for 45 .

Just some alternative opinions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-Inner-Bearing-Puller-Tool-Set-Blind-Hole-Tool-Slide-Hammer-Kit-Pilot-Needle/282044010302?hash=item41ab220f3e:g:xCwAAOSw71BXPulo&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Universal-23pc-Wheel-Bearing-Removal-Installation-Tool-Kit-Front-Wheel-Drive/282147782334?hash=item41b1517ebe:g:aB8AAOSw65FXu~b5&redirect=mobile

Jordan1200

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »

A question about cam bearing puller/installer tools. I see a couple different styles. There are some that have a separate puller (barrel style) and some that incorporate s mandrel to use as a puller and install tool.
I could get a separate puller (barrel style) and installer are the barrel style pullers better?

If so, are the barrel style stronger?
2010 Street Glide 96" (Canadian edition)
S&S 106 Big Bore
Stage 2 ACR Heads
Fueling Oil Pump
Fueling Cam plate and
Fueling 543 Gear Drive cams
Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1 Exhaust

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »

I like George's too. 

FWIW: I would avoid the wedge for locking the primary.  It places a lot a pressure on a small section of the primary chain which is why it stopped being recommended by the MOCO. 

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »

I actually use 2 - one on each gear.  They're super cheap and one size fits all.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:52:09 PM »

FWIW: I would avoid the wedge for locking the primary.  It places a lot a pressure on a small section of the primary chain which is why it stopped being recommended by the MOCO.
:2vrolijk_21:

I actually use 2 - one on each gear.  They're super cheap and one size fits all.

I used two wedges before I made the bar
piece of cake when you get the right length which is not too hard to find
like chaos 901 said, lot of stress placed on some sections of the drivetrain using the wedges

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.