Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Bore Kit  (Read 1500 times)

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
Big Bore Kit
« on: November 24, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »

Looking to do a big bore kit for a 2015 Ultra Limited, 103". Want to go as big as possible, yet maintain reliability. Not set on a particular manufacturer, likely FM or one of the other sponsors. Money is not the driving factor, doing it right the first time is. Was thinking a 117 or 124, or would a 107 be the best choice? Thoughts?
2015 Ultra Limited Low

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Big Bore Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 08:15:33 AM »

You can go all the way up if you are willing to pull the motor and have the cases bored. Budget must be there to support the build. In my experience a properly built Twin Cam 124", for example, will cost as much to build or more than a similar crate motor. Not a fan of the crate motors and not for profit reasons, I can sell either. The 124 would require a very stout clutch and supporting hardware. Me personally I prefer a 117" because of the longer piston skirts and shorter stroke in terms of longevity. But we are splitting hairs now and the cost is the same.

The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is all the way down the spectrum at 110" which is a top end job, engine left in chassis. It is not hard to hit the mid 120s squared with good manners and longevity. The S&S 110 kit is where I start that build.

A lot will depend on how you ride and what you want to accomplish. This is where the discussion should start plus what you intend to spend. Then after the build plan is done who will tune this and what pipe to buy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:17:36 AM by HD Street Performance »

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 12:34:48 AM »

You can go all the way up if you are willing to pull the motor and have the cases bored. Budget must be there to support the build. In my experience a properly built Twin Cam 124", for example, will cost as much to build or more than a similar crate motor. Not a fan of the crate motors and not for profit reasons, I can sell either. The 124 would require a very stout clutch and supporting hardware. Me personally I prefer a 117" because of the longer piston skirts and shorter stroke in terms of longevity. But we are splitting hairs now and the cost is the same.

The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is all the way down the spectrum at 110" which is a top end job, engine left in chassis. It is not hard to hit the mid 120s squared with good manners and longevity. The S&S 110 kit is where I start that build.

A lot will depend on how you ride and what you want to accomplish. This is where the discussion should start plus what you intend to spend. Then after the build plan is done who will tune this and what pipe to buy.

What your name and phone number?  Call you tomorrow. Nick
2015 Ultra Limited Low

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »

Folks had troubles with early cranks.  With the new drop on cylinders going 110 would be pretty cheap     255 cam    Stock 110 tune.  Manual compression release      Just a bit more than cam and tuner....     But will the crank do ok ?..

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 24 queries.